K-TRON

O&R Blade Saw?

Did O&R ever make a blade saw, which used the piston to actuate the saw?  I have this piston in my collection, and it is identical to what Wright used in their blade saws, except that it is one half of the size in all dimensions. Surely someone else made a smaller blade saw that used this piston, just what it is, I do not know. There are no numbers stamped or cast into the piston. The piston is 1-1/4" o.d., the same as the later O&R engines. The thick rings are throwing me a curveball. I wonder if it is a salesman sample or something like that. If by any chance it is O&R, I would love to see what the machine looked like.

Chris

Wright Power Blade Saw Piston 1.jpg

Wright Power saw cylinder case 6.jpg

_1010161.JPG

Not that I have ever seen but strange and unique tools tend to show up every once in a while. My guess would be that it's not O&R but...

Could the thick rings be for a steam or air powered piston for something completely different than a saw? Just guessing as I had no idea they ever drove anything directly from a gas engine piston 

That's interesting to know, as I had no idea that the Wright saws used the piston to drive the blade directly.

I've not yet seen any O&R Series 20A engines used on a blade saw, there doesn't seen to be anywhere near as many 20A engines out there compared with the smaller ones, I sure more tools will turn up that we haven't seen before too.

David

Could it be for a Wright 100 blade saw (made by Poulan) or one of the re-brands?

You can just about see the end of the blade shaft in one of the pictures here for the Dayton 2Z464 version, also it looks small enough in the video too, but 59cc is nearly double that of a O&R 20A (approx 32cc) though.

https://www.thisoldchainsaw.com/2z464-dayton

Wright 100 Blade Saw article from May 1969 in Popular Science magazine here;

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=GSoDAAAAMBAJ&lpg=PP1&pg=PA134#v=onepage&q&f=false

David