stevasaurus

Vintage Black & Decker Drill

This drill was my Dad's and I watched him drill many holes in metal and then tap the hole with a 1/4" x 20 tap.  This drill still packs a walop and will twist your arm off if you are not careful.  It is a Black & Decker 1/4" keyless chuck drill.  I did some research and as near as I can figure, it is a 1948 or 1949 vintage.  The chuck is a Jacobs 1/4" keyless Hi Torque chuck...Model B-650.  I can't make out the model of the drill...only the first and last number.of what looks like 3 numbers. Anyway, I thought I would share it here.  I know we are all into good old tools that were made in the USA. :)

2012_0719HOMEBUILTFORUM0001_zps9ac7493c.

2012_0719HOMEBUILTFORUM0002_zps27e055a4.

And I thought my black and decker drill was old!!   Tell me Steve, does it make the "traditional B&D squeal" kind of sound when you take your finger off the button?

I have a 1/2" B&D version like that with 2 handles on it. got it for 10 bucks and it needed brushes. I bored holes in the timbers in my basement to run new circuits with it. I put a 2 foot long "nail eater" bit in  it. I was laying in a crawl space laying on my back and drilling up and it lifted me off the ground. :o  I cut a 1/2" extension bar off and used the drill and socket to start an old Gravely rope start convertible!  :)