stevasaurus

Battery Charger-Maintainer

This is a product review.  I recently was looking for a trickle charger that had a maintain function and found this.  Note that I am not endorsing this manufacturer.  This is made by Schmacher Eletcronics., it is a 1.6 Amp trickle charger with a maintain function.  We all have small batteries for our garden tractors, motorcycles, trolling motors, depth finders, etc. and they (for the most part) last about 4 years.  A charged battery lasts longer and I have been able to get 5/6 years out of some of my garden tractor batteries...so far.  With this product, it charges the battery until it is charged and then goes into a maintain function that keeps the battery topped up...no over charge. The price was about $18 at Farm & Fleet.  It comes with a plug at one end that will either plug into a set of aligator clips, or plug into a plug that you can attach to the terminals of your battery. It has 3 led lights on the base...1) red for power...2) yellow for charging...3) green when it is fully charged and on maintain.  I've had a couple of cheaper devices that only maintain the charge that is there, and I have had a one of the three that I have stop working...I am hoping that a few more bucks pays off.  I will let you know. :)

2012_0719HOMEBUILTFORUM0004_zpsa4270f21.

2012_0719HOMEBUILTFORUM0003_zpse78f029a.

I've got to get something like this, they are really quite useful for those who leave battery items for extended periods of time.  I received a BIG Craftsman battery charger which I love, but it would be handy to have something smaller as well.

I have several of these (from Harbor Freight) that I paid $5 each. I have them on my motorcycles over the winter.

They are maintainers, as they need to sense a voltage in order to work. It WILL NOT work on a dead battery, and it WILL NOT over-charge a battery.

Bought one of these in 2003 for a motorcycle battery.  same manufacturer and looks (I think the same)  . Now its for tractor batteries and works well. .

Although I think it also has the 6/12 volt switch on it.    still working as of today! :)   I think it will last you steve... 

I have several of these (from Harbor Freight) that I paid $5 each. I have them on my motorcycles over the winter.

They are maintainers, as they need to sense a voltage in order to work. It WILL NOT work on a dead battery, and it WILL NOT over-charge a battery.

I got one of those cheap HF maintainers and put it on my Power King. The first time I went to start it after that I thought the motor was going to come out of the frame it was cranking so fast!