CNew

Ohlsson & Rice: Micro Power Motor Bike in a Bag Brochure

:WMOM:

Hi Warren & welcome to the forum, not seen one of those for a long time, are you able to add some pictures?

I noticed the advert leaflet on ebay has sold too (not me), here are the pictures for future reference (as they will disappear when the ebay ad gets deleted).

235290227_MicroPowerMicro-BikeModel101Advertpage1.jpg.f61dcf6cdfeb1adaab532cd3b5e05ccf.jpg 335493206_MicroPowerMicro-BikeModel101Advertpage2.jpg.1eb6dca0975bfb6e92243f1004dff736.jpg

David

I have one of these bikes.  It appears to be complete (no suitcase) but the engine is stuck.  I'd like to get a new engine for it.  Anyone know what engine it takes?  Also wondering if the drive wheel that rubs on the tire is available??

IMG_20180205_193044.jpg

That’s really cool!  I don’t know which O&R engine Type was fitted but I’m sure someone on here will reply with the info. If you look at the side of the engine on the mounting tabs you should see an engine model Type stamped in the cast aluminum. 

Your stuck engine might be fixable with a little effort. 

Think I might have a whole spare engine with gearbox for one of those (NOS). That's the only engine I ever remember seeing with a purple decal on the recoil blower housing. Is the decal on the engine cover purple?

Never got around to it but I was going to make one out of EMT pipe.

It may be the gearbox that's stuck and not the engine. The old grease they used in them can get hard as a rock

I'll try and get some better pics of the engine.  I don't think it has the recoil so that's why I assumed the engine was stuck.  I didn't even consider that the gear box could be stuck!!  I'd probly be interested in purchasing the new engine with gearbox if possible!!  I have a couple O&R engines that I've picked up along the way hoping to use for this bike.  If I could get a new engine I'd include all my O&R stuff in the deal cause all I really need is the bike to work. 

I’ll second that, old grease in those gear boxes can make it feel like the engine is stuck. Some of that stuff turns to a sticky tar that almost glues it.

The engine, gearbox and tire drive gear are the same exact thing as a Chicken Power unit which was used the same way to engage the front tire on a bicycle.

Post some pics of what you have for engines and stuff and we can probably work something out if you need to.

On 1/7/2020 at 3:22 PM, Craig H said:

Here's what I have.  Both engines turn over.  

With that Chicken Power engine you should have everything you need to get an engine running and mounted on that bike with maybe the exception of a carb diaphragm. So I'm not sure exactly what you need or want. Do you want me to go through an engine for you and have it running? Or we can easily guide you through getting yours running which is probably faster. And less expensive. 

Truthfully I'd like to find a NOS engine and gearbox to put on the bike.  But if that doesn't work out I'd be willing to try and get some of my parts to work.  I knew I shoulda bought a carb diaphragm or two from that guy who was selling them on eBay.  I've talked to him a couple times a few years ago.  Are the diaphragm still available anywhere??

I have diaphragms and stuff.

The one reason I offered my engine is because something like that old mini bike is worth letting one go to have that thing complete again. Even if it's not mine because It's a very cool and rare old piece. I'll find that engine and take a look at it, install a new diaphragm and fire it up to be sure it's operational. Then we can talk.

The thing is, if it is NOS without ever being ran, I would not run it at all since it won't be NOS after doing so. Are your plans to fire that thing up and ride it or just have it as a display piece or ?

I don't plan on riding this bike.  It's too old and rare.  I'd like to restore it to like new condition.  The chrome is in ok condition and hopefully can be buffed and polished.  If not I'd surely have it re-chromed at some point.  I've been looking for a new seat or perhaps the seat could be redone.  The gas tank I believe is in good condition but could probly use new paint and decals.  I've also been looking for the suitcase too.  I know I won't be able to find an original suitcase but I'm hoping to find an Atlantic Grasshopper suitcase and modify it to fit the bike!  I'd really like to get it looking like the one in the picture above and keep it as a showpiece!!  

I'm the guy that used to sell the diaphragms on ebay, probably about 600 of them. I'm pretty much done with that, but there are plenty of fellas that took over. I'm also the one with the two Youtube videos riding a Micro Power,  one was my son and is kinda funny how slow he is going. I sold the one in the video and still have another one that has never been fired up, bought both from the same guy. Good luck finding a Grasshopper, I looked for years and could not find the right size and color. I would settle with a plaid one, which seems more common, just have to find a big one. 

I saw one of these that looked mint in suitcase on "Chasing Classic Cars". A guy was displaying it at a car show and Wayne Carini tried hard to get him to sell it but he wouldn't budge.

Wallfish, not sure if you are serious, but I can dig mine out if you really want dimensions. I don't think it would be an easy build...

On 1/9/2020 at 6:31 PM, Webhead said:

I'm the guy that used to sell the diaphragms on ebay, probably about 600 of them. I'm pretty much done with that, but there are plenty of fellas that took over. I'm also the one with the two Youtube videos riding a Micro Power,  one was my son and is kinda funny how slow he is going. I sold the one in the video and still have another one that has never been fired up, bought both from the same guy. Good luck finding a Grasshopper, I looked for years and could not find the right size and color. I would settle with a plaid one, which seems more common, just have to find a big one. 

I really got a kick out of the videos!

8 hours ago, Webhead said:

Wallfish, not sure if you are serious, but I can dig mine out if you really want dimensions. I don't think it would be an easy build...

Something like that is well within my wheel House. I'm think'n 3/4 EMT pipe. The difficult part is finding something with the brakes for the back wheel and may already have an idea for that. Haven't looked into the fold down foot pegs but I could make those if necessary. Might have to use an old school banana seat which wouldn't look as good but...

No hurry at all as there's always plenty of stuff on my plate.

Just so you don't think you're wasting your time. Built these and the little Wheel Horse 2 seater cart in my avatar pic..

The Wheel Horse bike is 90% all tractor parts and looks even better now with an old school starter generator K181 engine on it instead of that modern M8. Made an article in a small tractor magazine.

bike_mag_pg1.jpg.a76f4da13bef9fe7407febb420ec3f3f.jpg

The back hoe attachment was completely scratch built using some plans off the innerweb. All the way down to the bucket teeth. Used it to bury all the utilities underground. Loader is a factory unit

IMG_0139.JPG.def1d07296594d754d37c1cff8b27726.JPG

This little wooden model of a RJ-58 was made completely out of toothpicks and also made a magazine. Wheels turn, steering works, levers move, brake pedal works the brake band. The toothpick gives the scale of it.

IMG_0468.JPG.008997152b94aad38527bae8b7565d2a.JPG

21 hours ago, Webhead said:

I saw one of these that looked mint in suitcase on "Chasing Classic Cars". A guy was displaying it at a car show and Wayne Carini tried hard to get him to sell it but he wouldn't budge.

Did they know much about it or the engine used? Prices could temporarily go up again if they have created more interest.

Do you know what episode it was in, as apparently this programme is shown in the UK as well?

David

Now I'm think'n Joe was just mess'n around with me.

Can't see the engine mount in the pics besides the piece coming from the front.

Is that light powered by one of those old school bicycle type generators which ride on the tire to turn it?

I'll need a pipe flaring tool to do the handle bar connections

3 hours ago, factory said:

Did they know much about it or the engine used? Prices could temporarily go up again if they have created more interest.

Do you know what episode it was in, as apparently this programme is shown in the UK as well?

David

I believe it was named "Twist and Scout", an episode where he finds the Indian motorcycle of his dreams. It was on this past Thursday.

3 hours ago, Wallfish said:

Now I'm think'n Joe was just mess'n around with me.

Can't see the engine mount in the pics besides the piece coming from the front.

Is that light powered by one of those old school bicycle type generators which ride on the tire to turn it?

I'll need a pipe flaring tool to do the handle bar connections

It is an old school generator type light.