CNew

Ohlsson & Rice: 20A Outboard (Clinton Model K-150)

No & no, I suspect there were already too many larger outboards available at the time to make it worth developing, but you never know.

David

I think I’m 99% sure I may have just found one. I’m hoping to go see it this evening. If it turns out to indeed be such an animal I’m guessing I should try to get it??? The guy is asking a bit much for it and it’s been spray painted camouflage for use on a duck hunting boat.

I wasn’t able to get the price I wanted but it’s hard to pass it up when it’s in your hands. It does have some damage on the mount but I probably won’t actually use this for its intended purpose. The camo paint is a let down, would be much better if it had the original paint scheme. Turns out this is actually an outboard produced by Clinton and its a model K-150.  My eye must be getting sharper. I was just scrolling through Craigslist and the recoil starter is what caught my attention - I knew it had to be a 13B or 20A...

https://books.google.com/books?id=B-IDAAAAMBAJ&pg=PA96&lpg=PA96&dq=clinton+k-150+outboard&source=bl&ots=OE-egHhIuZ&sig=ACfU3U1HjdT-0EIpzv0Y3mPgqfIe34_0OQ&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwj1k53D3L_kAhVLXKwKHYyPDVcQ6AEwEnoECAUQAQ#v=onepage&q=clinton k-150 outboard&f=false

EB5ACD74-3FA5-48AE-950A-1E25BCE47C5E.jpeg

C119BFCB-1F83-40C6-82AE-46780E7477B7.jpeg

5FA0B9E8-E28F-41FD-8A86-94EF2A033FF2.jpeg

0DBFDDD5-276F-4FED-8833-0E35B5D29A99.jpeg

44EE461E-BECD-4C53-B01E-9C9F48D75E86.jpeg

Wow that was a good find, has it got a AEP label on it or did Clinton hide the fact they outsourced the engine to someone else? If these were produced from 1975 to 1978 then the engine will be an AEP one.

How much was it then, you could PM if you don't want to say here?

Much better picture of the Clinton K-150 Outboard in the 1975 brochure here;

http://www.clintonengines.us/Outboards.html

Looks like the camo paint hasn't adhered very well in places, are you able to clean it off to restore the original finish?

David

Thanks!  Well, this certainly isn’t normal for me. I came into these last three machines kind of all at one time which never seems to happen.  I try to look at eBay and the local Craigslist in the evenings for a little bit.  Now that I have a couple in the stable it’s time to start cleaning them up and working on them.

This out board looks like the original color was a bright almost metallic blue, definitely a marine color.

7 minutes ago, factory said:

Much better picture of the Clinton K-150 Outboard in the 1975 brochure here;

http://www.clintonengines.us/Outboards.html

David,

Very nice find by the way on the Clinton outboard brochure. Those photos are really nice!

Thanks,

Clint

1 hour ago, CNew said:

Very nice find by the way on the Clinton outboard brochure. Those photos are really nice!

I hadn't noticed till I downloaded the brochure, it is a very high quality scan.

It also confirms that Clinton didn't use the standard Walbro carb for the 20A.

938745793_ClintonModelK-150Outboard.jpg.3fe34645a4a90b0ae49882a2e47c538d.jpg

David

I’ll try to look closer at the carburetor later today and see if I can get more details. At first I thought it was a Walbro so you have me curious now...

Is it like any of the carbs listed in the "Carburetor identification" guide here?;

http://www.clintonengines.us/Tech_Data.html

Or the "Carburetor overhaul" guide on this page?;

http://www.clintonengines.us/Maintenance_Overhaul.html

I suspect the manual you have found will have the correct information for servicing the carb.

David

You’re a genius David. As soon as I get home this evening I’ll take a look. From memory I think it might be the LMB model.

Well I’m still stumped. Here’s what I’ve been able to decipher on the carburetor. The bottom of the bowl is stamped Walbro. It also looks to be a LMB model.  Bad news is the model number looks to have been a double stamp which makes the numbers nearly impossible to make out clearly.  It looks like it could be a 181 or 191 maybe.  There are also two other numbers stamped on the opposite side, 1175 and 1014.

There is only one page showing the LMB carbs, I guess it shouldn't be too hard to clean and replace the gaskets & O ring mentioned, as always take lots of pictures to help with reassembly.

David

I did notice a couple of forums with the Clinton K-150, all without pictures and none had worked out it was fitted with an O&R/AEP engine.

It a shame I can't help them out on the forum you found, they want $40-$50 a year to access the forum (no free option that I could see :().

David

P.S. Added Clinton K-150 to the title.

I had the same reaction. I wanted to join to give some insight but I don’t work with outboards enough to justify the membership fee.

Oh well, I'm sure they will find us next time they search for one. :fingerscrossed:

I'm curious, does the engine have an O&R/AEP engine type/SN plate on it anywhere, presumably covered in paint if it does?

There are two possible locations I know of for the type/SN plate, on the frame near the spark-plug lead or hidden on the back.

SAM_9361b.jpg.b613f394d176585f1d2fa8f7c16d2203.jpg 3a.jpg.42443eadff660eba9d90f9d02c5edad0.jpg

David

There does look to be a tag and as you correctly point out it is completely covered in paint. I’ll have to pull the cover again and try to clean it off later today.

This may help with what carburetor kit you need Walbro made 5 rebuild kits and only one gasket kit

k1-lmb fits about 35 carbs

k2-lmb fits just 2

k3-lmb fits about 50

k4-lmb fits 1

k5-lmb fits 4

g1-lm is the gasket kit looks like it fits all of them

I will attach a list of the two most popular kits. seem to all be available .

lmb carb.pdf