Ian

The time has come to Hang up my Spurs

Yes you did read that right!.

You may or may not of noticed I've not been on this fine forum in over 6 months.. One of those moments that makes you put life on hold happened.

That moment was when my Wife was told she had breast cancer!!

6 months of tears, tests, scans, radiotherepy and sheer panic later she thankfully came out the otherside cancer free (not cured as there is no cure)..

During that 6 months as you would expect I didn't spend much time in the workshop, and when I was there I wasn't really getting anything done...

It's taken a while to admit defeat, but my body just can't cope with the pain that building "big" stuff creates..

I just can't do it anymore!

The next step up painkiller wise would turn me into a zombie , somewhere I've been before and DON'T want to go again..

So, I've given notice at the workshop and have been gathering materials to build (with a lot of help) a small workshop in my garden to do "smaller" bits of engineering..

I will post a new thread about a small project that I managed to do that I enjoyed making so much it's kinda pointed me in the direction I should go...

So yes, UkWheelHorseBloke is hanging up he's spurs, but he will still be making videos of the things I'm building

I’m so shocked and surprised to read this Ian i was almost in tears as i read this to Pam. Its a big decision to make and I’ve been close to it myself over the last few months as you know with Pams Health and family problems.

I like to think we’ve had some fun over years and I’ve enjoyed your builds ( and driving them ) as well as the videos.

If you need any help or just want to chat I’m only a phone call away and if your down my way you’re always welcome to coffee.

Best wishes to you and your other half Mate and take care.

Chris & Pam.

Very sorry to hear about the traumatic time you and your better half have been having Ian. It's been a pleasure to have met you and to follow your crazy builds.

The memory of driving your Honda V twin powered creation, will stay with me as long as I can remember. :hyper:

Wishing you both all the best and hope to see you next time I make it down south. :thumbs:

Sorry to hear of your troubles Ian.  :(   Don't know you as well as others but liked following your posts and will continue when the new workshop is up and running.  Best wishes to you and the Mrs.

I can only echo the sentiments and best wishes of the others, I have had more than my own share of issues over the last year and now find myself  faced with the same decision, having spent many hours enjoying the crazy but technical builds you have put together  you will be sorely missed. All the very best to you and your wife. 

Yes ime sorry to see you go Ian we have had a lot of laughs over the years and both done some mad things, but I have watched your struggle every day, and I agree you are doing the right thing by going to smaller projects that you can manage, the only problem is my workshop has just got a lot bigger and ime supposed to be slowing down as well😂

Hi Ian , Shame you're having to downsize and localise your operation. It's hard having to deal with these kinds of serious blows.

As mentioned when we last met up, I know exactly what you and and especially your wife have gone through.

I've been doing the same with machines and W/Horses where I only play with small light work now and enjoy the space I now have, but I had a choice, where you perhaps have not.

Chin up and just tick over within your limits. Best wishes for you both. 

Very sorry to hear about the difficult times you and your wife have been through and your WH builds will be missed. We continue to follow you on your new projects.

Very best wishes

Iain and Joseph

On 9/17/2019 at 5:54 PM, the showman said:

I’m so shocked and surprised to read this Ian i was almost in tears as i read this to Pam. Its a big decision to make and I’ve been close to it myself over the last few months as you know with Pams Health and family problems.

I like to think we’ve had some fun over years and I’ve enjoyed your builds ( and driving them ) as well as the videos.

If you need any help or just want to chat I’m only a phone call away and if your down my way you’re always welcome to coffee.

Best wishes to you and your other half Mate and take care.

Chris & Pam.

Stop that Chris, your bring me to tears!

Yes it was a big decision, but in the end I just had to listen to my knees and hips, and then admit they were right.. They just can't do it any more..

Yep, we have certainly had some great fun over the years :D

Ta for the offer of help and/or a chat, I need to get skype sorted...    (Jot's it down on todays "To Do" list) :D

I was down your way Monday, time was very short or I'd of sent you a text to put the kettle on..

Next time though..

You both look after yourselves, catch up with you soon.

On 9/17/2019 at 7:13 PM, Stormin said:

Very sorry to hear about the traumatic time you and your better half have been having Ian. It's been a pleasure to have met you and to follow your crazy builds.

The memory of driving your Honda V twin powered creation, will stay with me as long as I can remember. :hyper:

Wishing you both all the best and hope to see you next time I make it down south. :thumbs:

Thanks Norm, yesterday was a bit of a milestone health wise for my Wife when her Oncologist said, "I hope we never meet again"...  :D 

Ahhh yes, I remember you thrashing Wh Not around the track out the back of the nursery, great times..  I always enjoy watching others enjoy my builds :)

Ta for the best wishes mate, it would be cool to catch up at some point if your down this way :thumbs:

On 9/17/2019 at 8:31 PM, pmackellow said:

Sorry to hear this news Ian, kept meaning to pop down to deepest Hawkhurst and see you and Nigel

Hope all goes well mate, keep in touch

Paul and Wendy

Thanks Paul, feel free to pop in when your in Hawkhurst.. I will still be here, just the other side of the main road :D

On 9/17/2019 at 8:35 PM, Alan said:

Sorry to hear of your troubles Ian.  :(   Don't know you as well as others but liked following your posts and will continue when the new workshop is up and running.  Best wishes to you and the Mrs.

Thanks Alan, sometimes life throws curved balls at you, the only option is just to get on with it.

Thanks for following my posts over the years, there will be plenty more posts to come once the new workshop is up and running.

Ta for the best wishes, I shall pass them on to Mandy :thumbs:

On 9/18/2019 at 8:55 AM, expeatfarmer said:

I can only echo the sentiments and best wishes of the others, I have had more than my own share of issues over the last year and now find myself  faced with the same decision, having spent many hours enjoying the crazy but technical builds you have put together  you will be sorely missed. All the very best to you and your wife. 

Thank you Sir... You need to make the decision that's best for you be it physically and/or mentally...  I'm really struggling with the physical side of things, but mentally I need something to do to keep the ol brain cells active..

Option 1..

Scale down the things I can build to a size my body can physically cope with to keep the brain active..

Option 2..

Sell everything, spend the rest of my life watching re-runs of Jeremy Kyle and dribbling a lot as the intelligence is slowly sucked out of me!!!

No contest really :D

On 9/18/2019 at 9:39 AM, nigel said:

Yes ime sorry to see you go Ian we have had a lot of laughs over the years and both done some mad things, but I have watched your struggle every day, and I agree you are doing the right thing by going to smaller projects that you can manage, the only problem is my workshop has just got a lot bigger and ime supposed to be slowing down as well😂

HI mate, yeah it's been a mad few years with plenty of mad builds, but your right, I have become a bit of an old fart over many months..

You slowing down!!!   Your collecting stuff to fill up my workshop before I've even left it yet :yankchain:

On 9/18/2019 at 8:48 PM, Anglo Traction said:

Hi Ian , Shame you're having to downsize and localise your operation. It's hard having to deal with these kinds of serious blows.

As mentioned when we last met up, I know exactly what you and and especially your wife have gone through.

I've been doing the same with machines and W/Horses where I only play with small light work now and enjoy the space I now have, but I had a choice, where you perhaps have not.

Chin up and just tick over within your limits. Best wishes for you both. 

Hi Richard, it's a shame on the dowsize, but at least I will have a lot less distance to walk to the toilet :D

I remember that chat well the  last time we met!

Don't worry, my chin will stay up :D

On 9/24/2019 at 1:43 AM, HeadExam said:

You have left a sizable legacy here and should be proud of that, we all have to move on, it's a fact of life. Concentrate on the family and your health, Hoping that happiness will follow .

Thanks dude, I'm not sure about the "sizable legacy" bit, I've just been doing what I like doing and posting it up.

I'm not moving on, more like moving a mile & half closer to home :D

On 9/24/2019 at 8:42 PM, meadowfield said:

Sad times Ian, we had some good times in the shack and loved bring part of some of your crazy schemes!

the shop might be closing, but the legend lives on...  give me regards to Mandy. Really need to get down and see you soon.

Hi mate, yeah some good times were had.. How can we forget the GT-14 bar :D

The leg end lives on?? What me foot? :lol:

Let me know when your down this way.... Curry and chips ok with you? :D

On 9/27/2019 at 1:18 AM, Triumph66 said:

Ian, sorry to read about this and I must thank you for your warm welcome to MOM a few years ago when I saw your WHs at the Shack. 

Best wishes to you both

Andrew

Hi Andrew, that's a bit of a late thank you! :yankchain::D

It was a pleasure to have you visit the shack, I will have a shack to visit, it will just be quite a bit small.. same old friendly coffee service though..

On 9/28/2019 at 7:29 PM, Joseph said:

Very sorry to hear about the difficult times you and your wife have been through and your WH builds will be missed. We continue to follow you on your new projects.

Very best wishes

Iain and Joseph

Thanks Guy's, sorry you will miss the WH builds, but I hope you enjoy my new smaller builds, going places I've never gone before..

Here's a link to what sort of thing I will be doing.  Smaller Project Link

Wow, thanks for all the great replys guy's, sorry it's taken a while to reply back, it's just taken all morning to reply to your replys :lol:

I wonder if the name "UkShedBloke" is available on YouTube :D