factory

O&R Model F with gearbox 900 R.P.M.

I haven't seen much for sale in the UK recently, but found this nice condition engine for sale on ebay in France, it's an early Model F with 6.921 to 1 ratio gearbox for 900 R.P.M. output shaft speed.

SAM_5405a.jpg.579347376ed1fdb1836c4ed1c6c094b6.jpg SAM_5410a.jpg.2814b0e6fce744c2582854e46ad7574a.jpg

SAM_5408a.jpg.60a6e8241d53f68567b8abb254b97873.jpg SAM_5407a.jpg.8010dfca8a600835e1d9d111c606cf81.jpg

SAM_5412a.jpg.a10c20b61b4805142bcf41721255314a.jpg

Decals on this engine, not many had the Model printed on the O&R eagle logo decal, I've noticed that it isn't stamped into the crankcase on this engine either.

SAM_5406a.jpg.58575504b32976cc6c255e325fabff52.jpg SAM_5423a.jpg.927ae11275a34459910ddff4a58feec7.jpg

The gearbox for the Model F has no clutch fitted, a Model J was also made if you needed the same specification but with a clutch, Model J engines seem to be more common than the Model F. Below is part of the 1961 price list showing these two models.

844502549_ModelsFJ.jpg.cc42686a1e6a03de848adfeaae375405.jpg

David

Wow, that’s a beauty- almost looks mint condition! I don’t think I’ve ever seen a Model F before.  You definitely find the good ones!

It's in almost perfect condition, probably not had much or any use, the only damage is to the coil which has been bashed over at some point in the past, the resin is a little cracked as a result.

Apart from the Model F that @JUST O&R posted about on the Toby Cart thread I haven't seen another either, Model J's are more easy to find.

Note; these early gearbox engines have alloy gears which apparently wore out quickly according to the NIAE report, possibly not helped by the fact that the oil seems to disappear from the gearcases;

David

P.S. I've got a few O&R's here that look to have spent several decades rusting in hedges.

Currently it's on a shelf with the other display only engines, it may get restored one day (with grease instead of oil in the gearbox) but there is a much later 1HP Model J and a Model H (age unknown as SN # has been removed) here that I intend to repair first.

Can't say I would want to live in a big city either, probably couldn't afford anything with enough space for a shed/workshop, house prices in cities here are way too overpriced.

There is a Model H on ebay.com (:USA:only) at the moment, it's not in great condition, the coil has the HT lead pulled off, but might be of interest here.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/184007853736

David

I seen that. It looks like it was on a mini bike or one of the little suitcase jobs would love to find one of those.

I seen one someone with that bracket on it. ( didn't see any houses there) all apartments no room for anything.

Just would not work for me!

3 hours ago, factory said:

is a Model H on ebay.com (:USA:only) at the moment, it's not in great condition, the coil has the HT lead pulled off, but might be of interest here.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/184007853736

David

On my watch list. A bit rough and I wasn’t sure if the H model was a bit unique or not.

The Model H is a 1700 R.P.M version (3.666 to 1 gear ratio) with clutch, Model E is the same with no clutch.

I haven't got these yet, but Model G is 3300 R.P.M. (1.896 to 1 gear ratio) with clutch, Model D is the same with no clutch.

The Model J (900 R.P.M.) is more common than any of the above.

The Model H on ebay certainly looks like it will clean up nicely, it's just a shame the tank got battered (at least it has one) & the coil is knackered, anyone tried negotiating a better price?

David

Clint I mad an offer of 50.00 for the h engine he would not take it he would take 61. plus shipping  so  if you wont it let me know?

if you don't let me know I may buy it for parts it would get me the screws for my c/saw plus more parts for the shelf.

Edited by JUST O&R

It would be a shame to part out that nice model H.

I thought you had finished the C/Saw, what screws do you need? Maybe post on the C/saw thread.

David

That model F is gorgeous, a true time capsule piece. I have seen a lot of NOS units come up for sale that were not so well taken care of. It does not look like it will take much to get that nice early engine running again. With that gear ratio it should have a whopping 5lb/ft of torque on the output shaft. Any idea what it powered?

Chris

The Model F engine is in lovely condition, almost NOS, sadly I haven't got the history of what it was originally bought/used for, that is if it was ever fitted to anything. :dunno:

David

Got the H engine on the way. Clint never got back with me :dunno:. I didn't wont to lite it go to the scrap yard .

I think it was a good  deal. Will see what we have when it gets here . Its all there a little ruff but we can salvage it.

Hope Clint's move is going ok I hate moving.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Ohlsson-Rice-Model-H-Motor-For-Parts-or-Not-Working-Serial-No-030850/184007853736?hash=item2ad7b906a8:g:wUAAAOSwi5VdskCG

Edited by JUST O&R

Always good to have spares around if you collect. I have never once bought an engine strictly for parts but there's gotta be at least 10 out there which turned into it because of taking a chance or not as advertised. Anyway, it's nice to be able to pick and choose the better parts to use for putting together tools ie: a nicer recoil cover, proper hardware, less rust on the coil ect. ect. ect.

4 hours ago, JUST O&R said:

Got the H engine on the way. Clint never got back with me :dunno:. I didn't wont to lite it go to the scrap yard .

I think it was a good  deal. Will see what we have when it gets here . Its all there a little ruff but we can salvage it.

Hope Clint's move is going ok I hate moving.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Ohlsson-Rice-Model-H-Motor-For-Parts-or-Not-Working-Serial-No-030850/184007853736?hash=item2ad7b906a8:g:wUAAAOSwi5VdskCG

Glad you got the H motor. I was offline for a few days while driving across the country and completely lost track of the eBay listings I was watching as well as responding on the forum, sorry about that. 

The move went ok I guess, definitely not much fun... now the unpacking and getting settled in on top of the new job, etc. It’s definitely going to be a tense next few weeks and to top it all off we are still trying to sell our last home in MN.

16 hours ago, CNew said:

I was offline for a few days while driving across the country and completely lost track of the eBay listings I was watching as well as responding on the forum

Good to hear you made it to Arizona OK, hope everything works out & you settle in fine at your new job.

20 hours ago, JUST O&R said:

Got the H engine on the way.

Good to hear it's going to a good home, the starter housing looks to just need a good clean, the rest needs some rust cleaning up, not sure if the coil can be repaired or not. I do wonder how much use it had, as the exhaust collector isn't discolored as you would expect from a well used example.

19 hours ago, Wallfish said:

Always good to have spares around if you collect. I have never once bought an engine strictly for parts but there's gotta be at least 10 out there which turned into it because of taking a chance or not as advertised.

Same here, I have a few incomplete spare engines for parts, nice to have them so you can complete a restoration without having to find more parts.

David

Got the H engine today not bad tank need a little T.L.C. coil shot will need to change turns over good

I think just a good tear down and a tank rebuild it will be good . Oh ya the carb will need done .

IMG_3169[1].JPG

IMG_3170[1].JPG

IMG_3172[1].JPG

Nice look engine on ebay if anyone is interested.   https://www.ebay.com/itm/123974940768

Vintage O&R, OHLSSON & RICE 1 HP Compact 111 Engine  Condition is Used but very good condition. Shipped with USPS First Class Package. This one had been run previously to me buying it. I put a new tank on it because the original was dented. Most of these wont have a tank. It has great spark and compression I have no doubt about start up. I am a mechanic and bought a bunch of these over the years as a hobby and because of their adaptability for attacthments. I have the ice Auger and hedge trimmers,generators and chain saws. And the bicycle attatchment. So I know these engines. Buyer pays for shipping. If you have any questions please ask

6 hours ago, JUST O&R said:

Nice look engine on ebay if anyone is interested.   https://www.ebay.com/itm/123974940768

Vintage O&R, OHLSSON & RICE 1 HP Compact 111 Engine

I've corrected the ePay link as it wasn't working.

That looked nice and a reasonable price too, but neither a 1HP or CIII engine :banghead::banghead::banghead:, it's actually a 3/4HP Compact I engine.

David