factory

O&R Model F with gearbox 900 R.P.M.

On 11/17/2019 at 12:57 PM, CNew said:

By the way, what brand/color of red paint do you use- that’s a pretty nice match to original O&R?

If you need to match slightly faded paint, then a car body shop should be able to mix some to match & put it in a rattle can for you.

David

17 hours ago, factory said:

If you need to match slightly faded paint, then a car body shop should be able to mix some to match & put it in a rattle can for you.

David

Great idea David, I likely have some good auto body shops here in Arizona

@Webhead Joe did a bunch of restorations so I bet he has already done the leg work for finding the close match colors.

I had a Cub Cadet yellow that closely matched the Orline stuff but don't remember the exact color it was

On 11/14/2019 at 1:05 PM, JUST O&R said:

Well it looked good just copied and pasted ad.  did anyone here get it??

Well, the engine arrived this afternoon. It’s incredibly disappointing to receive what looks to be a brand new engine only for it to get damaged during shipment. The new tank was crushed, man that’s irritating!:banghead:

3D9A8441-F1F1-4414-A9B4-44FC1B29F0B4.jpeg

87943BF8-107D-4246-B7D3-429534E32B7E.jpeg

That sucks !! Was it sent priority mail if so it should have insurance ? I have a few nos tanks I you need one.

just let me know. I will be out of town at the rod run in Daytona wont be back until December third.

IMG_3211[1].JPG

IMG_3212[1].JPG

That's to nice to fix and paint

Edited by JUST O&R

22 hours ago, CNew said:

Well, the engine arrived this afternoon. It’s incredibly disappointing to receive what looks to be a brand new engine only for it to get damaged during shipment. The new tank was crushed, man that’s irritating!

Ouch :(, I hope you have complained, was it poorly packaged?

Also is it just me or is that tank shorter than usual? Edit: it's probably just the angle the picture was taken from (not shorter).

David

11 hours ago, CNew said:

Well, the engine arrived this afternoon. It’s incredibly disappointing to receive what looks to be a brand new engine only for it to get damaged during shipment. The new tank was crushed, man that’s irritating!

Tell me about it. That sucks and it's even worse when it's the tool parts damaged which are much more difficult to replace or fix. That's exactly why items I pack in a box are packed well and protected.  Can't count how many shipping damaged items I received because of bad lazy packaging.

From now on I’m going to specifically request the sellers to remove the gas tanks, air cleaners and exhausts from these engines before shipping.  I thought about it after it was already shipped. 

1 hour ago, CNew said:

From now on I’m going to specifically request the sellers to remove the gas tanks, air cleaners and exhausts from these engines before shipping.  I thought about it after it was already shipped. 

Only problem with that is, now you have some hack taking it apart with a butter knife and a big crescent wrench. Good luck on getting any of the hardware with it! Or maybe they'll store it down in the carb :wacko:

Asking politely for extra attention in packaging usually helps. I typically offer extra $ for it but hardly ever will they charge you. At least that's my experience but haven't been having stuff shipped in like I used to.

Yep, you’re probably right about that- it’s probably just as risky to have them take things apart.  This one was packaged with bubble wrap but clearly the shipping carrier must have tossed it across the shop or threw it into the delivery truck slamming it against a wall or floor. The dents in the tank match the outer profile of the recoil housing so it must have slammed pretty hard somewhere along the way. It must have flexed the mounting bracket by almost 1/2” for it to make contact with the housing.  Irritating:angry:

It definitely sucks but will get it rite. The bad part is there not making and more of these tanks so at some point

they will be gone. They are getting harder to find .

That’s for sure.  A couple tanks came up a few months back, including a vertical one and I hesitated and have been kicking myself ever since.

I've not had too many problems with O&R's (apart from two parts hedge trimmers that were badly packed, carb snapped off on one) & shipping, but some do have dented tanks, can't say I noted whether they were like that before I got them. @JUST O&R has shown how they can be repaired if needed. :thumbs:

Also had a nice early engine where a customs worker opened the box with the biggest knife they could find and put several horrid scratches on the starter housing, this had survived over 55 years in near perfect condition too. :angry:

SAM_1545a.jpg.c00ea49f7d55bb1cd285528fe4ac2fe6.jpg

By the way some sellers even don't read messages requesting them to pack things properly, had this recently with a pair of HP (Hewlett Packard) items, they put them in a box about the same size as the items, the small meter was placed on top the larger one, it arrived with a nice dent in the top of the large one the same shape as the small meter.

It took me best part of half a day to carefully dismantle it (including removing a CRT) to straighten the internal frame, back & covers, thankfully it still works, but I noticed this week it can't be stacked with other test gear as the side frames are also bent. These frames are die cast same as O&R parts so can't be straightened easily without risking cracking or snapping them.

Another non O&R one (few months back) a seller used the worst box filling material I've ever seen, many thousands of tiny polystyrene balls, these othered no protection from the heavy item moving about in the box during international shipping, plus they take forever to clean up & dispose of afterwards. :banghead: Of course it arrived with a broken off die-cast handle (part of the side frame), I've lost count of the number of times this has happened. The replacement frame is currently in the round-tuit pile awaiting machining to match the original.

SAM_5030b.jpg.15d272a88ace8426c9dbadef25d60943.jpg

David

Man, that’s a bummer with the knife scratches. Amazing how something like that survives so long only to be messed up in a split second from carelessness. Sorry to hear about the HP items, that’s incredibly frustrating!

It is possible to braze things like that handle back on, but my skills are a bit lacking for that and I haven't got the equipment or materials to do it, plus those front handles are the only ones on that frequency meter (others have side handles too) which weighs approx 39lbs, I wouldn't want that to land on my foot if a repair failed.

I seem to remember an O&R drill that had a broken casting through shipping to the US, it did get repaired but I can't find pictures (they were probably on the previous forum).

David

On 11/21/2019 at 5:09 AM, JUST O&R said:

IMG_3211[1].JPG

That's too nice to fix and paint

A very very special THANK YOU to JustO&R!  With his help the engine now looks as good as new! Definitely makes it a really nice and complete original engine again. Can’t thank you enough!

92F7CC6E-777D-4A1F-A600-49B752130043.jpeg

AE8D1DFC-0AB0-4131-AAD2-E6ECFFDD018A.jpeg

5B116C9C-95DB-48E9-AD3E-9D228057C8FA.jpeg

On 11/21/2019 at 10:41 PM, CNew said:

including a vertical one and I hesitated and have been kicking myself ever since

Do you need a vertical tank for a toolor just to have one in case you do?

On 11/21/2019 at 10:41 PM, CNew said:

That’s for sure.  A couple tanks came up a few months back, including a vertical one and I hesitated and have been kicking myself ever since.

That tank wasn't yellow was it?

37 minutes ago, Webhead said:

I wish these resources were available when I was in the heyday of collecting...

You just may need to start collecting again.

5 minutes ago, JUST O&R said:

That tank wasn't yellow was it?

You just may need to start collecting again.

I believe the one on eBay was red.