factory

O&R Model F with gearbox 900 R.P.M.

On 11/26/2019 at 7:53 PM, CNew said:

Yes, I would be very interested in a verticle tank.

Oooo, the term "very interested" means expensive for you. Wooo Hooo. :yankchain:

22 hours ago, Webhead said:

I wish these resources were available when I was in the heyday of collecting...

You being the only resource back in the day is what got all of this started. Highly doubt I would've ever went past those first 2 engines if we never connected. I didn't know squat back then so your help and knowledge with the stuff was crucial in my collecting of O&R. Glad we started this because there really isn't any other place for people to go that I know of. Then people like David get involved and the knowledge base has grown to new heights because of his involvement and willingness share information. In a couple of years CNew will be coaching and suppling parts too at the pace he's going. 

1 hour ago, Wallfish said:

In a couple of years CNew will be coaching and suppling parts too at the pace he's going. 

I hope so but I still have a lot to learn from the pros!

I think that’s the case for most of mine as well. I have that Herter’s ice auger that has a vertical tank and it would be nice to swap it out some day since it’s pretty rusted out.

1 hour ago, CNew said:

since it’s pretty rusted out.

If it doesn't have a hole rusted through, soak cider vinegar in it. you can fill it with small nuts or bolts and shake it to loosen the big stuff off first.Just check it everyday. It cleans rust really well in these tanks. I once forgot about a tank soaking and when I saw it again about a month or 2 later, the acid in the vinegar had eaten away most of the tank. If the outside is rusted too just soak the whole thing. Rinse well when done.

I do have a vertical tank if you need one but if rust on the inside of yours is the only problem, try the cider vinegar soak and let me know if you still need it. Saving as many as possible will only help all of us collectors in the future. We can swap tanks and I'll try to clean it too.

There is the option to make new tanks too, if you can find the similar size food cans*, a screw top from readily available tins could be cut out and soldered in.

The original O&R tanks are probably made in the same way as early (steel) beer cans were made in the US, I've seen a few in some of the abandoned mine exploration videos I watch on youtube and they looked similar in size & construction.

*I've saved a couple of coffee cans for experimentation.

David

20 hours ago, Wallfish said:
On 11/27/2019 at 2:18 AM, Webhead said:

I wish these resources were available when I was in the heyday of collecting...

You being the only resource back in the day is what got all of this started. Highly doubt I would've ever went past those first 2 engines if we never connected. I didn't know squat back then so your help and knowledge with the stuff was crucial in my collecting of O&R. Glad we started this because there really isn't any other place for people to go that I know of. Then people like David get involved and the knowledge base has grown to new heights because of his involvement and willingness share information. In a couple of years CNew will be coaching and suppling parts too at the pace he's going.

Same here, I knew very little before I joined the previous forum after acquiring a Tiny Tor, but have learnt a lot over the years and also been researching & collecting information to help others. :)

David