Joseph

Floor standing grit blaster

We have just bought a floor standing grit blaster for the workshop. The advert said that some assemble was required but we were not expecting it to be fully flat packed. We had lots of fun building it and I made a quick video. We just need to work out where it put it now :)

We just need to work out where it put it now    :)   Nice cabinet Joseph. :thumbs:  To save workshop space, the obvious place to put it is in Mum's kitchen.  Just say you've bought her a new dish washer.

I have a smaller version. Handy things to have. But damp air can be a problem up here. If the air is not dry, the nozzle can block easily. I also really need a bigger compressor but as I don't use it much I'll not other. A neighbour has a bigger one on wheels if needed. :D

Good buy Joseph! I have the same one and you're not wrong about the flat pack, it took me quite a while to assemble it. I bought it from Belgium a few years ago and it still works great :thumbs:

Place an inline dryer at 6-8 feet above the cabinet and remove moisture frequently. You really need a very large compressor to run one of these cabinets, 10-20 CFM is often the requirement

12 hours ago, HeadExam said:

Place an inline dryer at 6-8 feet above the cabinet and remove moisture frequently. You really need a very large compressor to run one of these cabinets, 10-20 CFM is often the requirement

At least. -  I've got a slightly smaller cabinet and a 15cu ft compressor and it works hard. When it comes to blasting a twist on the old adage for car (automobile!) engine sizes is the order of the day  "there's no substitute for cubic feet"!

In addition you need good dust extraction from the cabinet to see what you are doing. I doubled the amount of lighting and made a dust extractor using a shop vac with a cheap Chinese cyclone between cabinet and vac - traps the heavy dust and preserves the vac. . Not pretty but effective!!

13 hours ago, Wristpin said:

At least. -  I've got a slightly smaller cabinet and a 15cu ft compressor and it works hard. When it comes to blasting a twist on the old adage for car (automobile!) engine sizes is the order of the day  "there's no substitute for cubic feet"!

In addition you need good dust extraction from the cabinet to see what you are doing. I doubled the amount of lighting and made a dust extractor using a shop vac with a cheap Chinese cyclone between cabinet and vac - traps the heavy dust and preserves the vac. . Not pretty but effective!!

Another issue is claimed CFM from the manufacturer, don't believe any of the new ones. Try to find a 1960's or 1970s petrol station compressor, They are big and even if you have to build a doghouse for it outside its worth it and probably cheaper. You can get by with 10 CFM with a 80-100 gallon tank

20160307_175234.jpg

The problem in the UK is that larger compressors need a three phase power supply and not many domestic properties have that.  I should have said that my figure of 15cu ft is “ Free Air Delivered” and not just cylinder dimensions times rpm.  FAD is the figure to look for.