the showman

Winter Project

Oops, the first oops was the hubs. 

The fist hub came off fairly easy with the puller and a bit of heat, the second one made a fight of it after soaking it with wd 40 for a couple of days and with the puller attached and loads of heat it broke so out with the grinder and cut it off.

2nd oops was the drive pulley that also refused to move so after checking i had a spare in stock i had to chop it off.

Well I’ve sanded the few coats of paint and rust of the transmission now ive got the pulleys off and ordered a set of oil seals from Bearingboys, they are so helpful and should have them Tuesday or Wednesday.

Ive put a few coats of primer on just to  protect it while I’m putting them together.

333B64B2-AC4B-4706-91F6-08F3EF3447D5.jpeg

B18E7B5B-3702-4AC1-B0B1-E6ED06332AD4.jpeg

Today’s activity was to remove the steering wheels from the column, anyone that has removed steering wheels from wheelhorses will know the problems with the roll pin removal and the wheel so with lots of banging several sessions of heat and cursing they gave in.

1D9ABDB0-D62E-42D7-975E-B1FCF8A6628B.jpeg

9AA78EA6-5E5A-4A49-86D9-14BDADFE4B02.jpeg

4 minutes ago, pmackellow said:

Good job Mr Showman :thumbs:

Is one of those columns the old R26 one I gave you ?

No mate, one is off the tractor at the beginning of the topic the other was from a blue tractor from eBay that i took apart years ago

3 minutes ago, the showman said:

No mate, one is off the tractor at the beginning of the topic the other was from a blue tractor from eBay that i took apart years ago

Oh right,  just wondered ! :thumbs:

Looking at the hood stand and noticed there’s a bush where the steering column go’s through made from plastic type stuff, i think it must of melted when I heated the wheel up.

Had a look and found a load of bushes and luckily had some with a 3/4” hole in just to fat to fit.

I’m not a machinist but thought I’d have a play, I found a bit of 3/4” bar and drilled a hole to hold the bush and clamped it  in  the lathe.

After a play i got what I wanted, maybe not the right way to do it but very pleased with the end result and only used one bush.

All fits with no play so might even do the other one. 

E24BE4BA-FC60-40F3-BFA5-775FCB84BB5A.jpeg

44666616-0CDB-4BB0-B060-408324C91AF5.jpeg

09A3721A-D6A0-4859-AAE6-92FC78C0E7EA.jpeg

A5666C94-4809-4F8D-98F9-4C69BF7B3DAE.jpeg

731531F5-781A-4E35-A1B3-1256D2CE6568.jpeg

F2A26A9F-1937-40F4-AE13-080E213EBD82.jpeg

Chris I gotta tell ya I have the utmost respect for you having the patience to do projects like you do restoring old horses and giving them a second chance in life.:)

That being said after working on commission at GM Dealerships I have zero patience for any kind of project. It was drummed into my head that we must complete all repairs and return to the customer within 24 hrs.

And yes I see a psychiatrist twice a week because of it and I retired in 2013......:lol: