the showman

Winter Project

2 hours ago, nigel said:

I thought it looked like mig but I didn’t think you had one

I bought a mig welder off snap-on tools and didn’t like it so I gave it to my son so now i have to walk up his house and beg him to weld the rim, the ark was a bit fearce for it

5 minutes ago, the showman said:

I bought a mig welder off snap-on tools and didn’t like it so I gave it to my son so now i have to walk up his house and beg him to weld the rim, the ark was a bit fearce for it

You should practice with a mig once you get it set up right they are so easy to use I only use ark on stuff like rsjs now

After moving everything in  the sheds I’ve found 2 Kohler K91 engines ,  by the looks of them they haven’t run for a while.

The green one I bought from Paul last year and the black one I’ve had years and can’t remember where it  came from.

The green one is missing the recoil starter and spinning it with the drill i found it had no spark, removed the points and cleaned and regapped and tried again, i did manage to get it to fire a couple of times but that’s all.

I’m going to strip the carb and put it in the altrasonic cleaner.

The black one was much the same although I did get it to run briefly so that one’s  carb is going in the cleaner’

While i was digging the cleaner out i found an Aspera engine cover with the same recoil starter but no cup so if anyone has one I’m looking.

A62F15E3-245A-40F1-91C2-FD2D19F03B4D.jpeg

5B72D419-E158-4D14-8C55-D70593B66365.jpeg

I’ve put the carbs through the ultrasonic cleaner and assembled one and fitted to the engine so i now have one nice running engine.

I can say I’m well pleased with the engine as ive owned it for about six years and its been under the bench ever since.

I feel a big hurdle crossed today.

80CFC80A-31C0-436C-A32E-F481A4C1FB24.jpeg

E1B1D4A1-4B08-4F2A-A860-EB62662686F1.jpeg

Had a few hours on the green engine today, it proved a problem to start after cleaning the carb so after fitting new points and plug cap and cranking it with an electric drill petrol started running out the carb. Another strip down revealed a hole in the float so with that changed it finally fired up.

Had it running for about an hour with no smoke or rattles so the engine sounds good but still having trouble with the idle so I'm going to fit another carb tomorrow and see if it improve's.

Spent some time on the K141 engine ( in the photo above ). It had stuck valves and a broken carb. Ive removed the head and cleaned everything up, the bore looks good with no wear. Found some bits to build another carb and cleaned the points.

Another engine now running with no smoke or rattles so have a choice which one’s to use.

Happy bunny and can move on to the next challenge.

21 minutes ago, the showman said:

Been looking at the other front wheel with a dodgey valve hole and decided that as i have a spare half of a wheel I might as well use it.

The second one was easier as I’ve done one  before, all i have to do is drill a hole for the valve, or fit a tubeless tyre, :lol:

858DCBE3-02F9-4A31-BB2B-7A73B765A8E7.jpeg

Still need a valve for a tubeless tyre 😂

Looks good so far Chris! You can't tell you've doctored the rims about, some good looking gaskets you've knocked up too. I could be wrong but I think that dark blue/black Kohler K91 was the one you had of me a few years back.  

Got  both of the fuel tank brackets finished and in primer today only thing left to do is flush the rust out of the tanks.

Had a look at the two bonnets , I’ve kept moving them down the list as i new they were bad but getting to  the point where I need to do  something with them, not sure what yet I don’t think I’ll sand blast them yet.

302C2D4A-ABA2-42D4-9812-13BC38396CF1.jpeg

E0EEFD45-7263-4486-960E-587A57A66D70.jpeg

17694BFF-F2DF-48C3-BDC5-554109F9767F.jpeg

7C7F5728-E110-478F-816B-DDEF09A22BD4.jpeg

6BE3CFD7-521B-40D2-AE57-A4D5413458A9.jpeg

BDCB9A57-516B-475E-96C1-9AD91D682091.jpeg

424F5D32-E223-4737-BC75-535F4019CC13.jpeg

2A3531D9-8B3D-439C-A27E-34B3F0A5C387.jpeg