rmaynard

Reproduction Seller's Kitchen Cabinet

Here are some pictures of a reproduction Seller's 1925, 48" Klearfront cabinet that I built a few years ago.

post-36-0-78745100-1374695530_thumb.jpg

post-36-0-10239000-1374695537_thumb.jpg

post-36-0-82865600-1374695542_thumb.jpg

post-36-0-46090000-1374695546_thumb.jpg

post-36-0-35982200-1374695550_thumb.jpg

post-36-0-51233100-1374695556_thumb.jpg

post-36-0-61834800-1374695526_thumb.jpg

The cabinet was constructed from red oak and poplar purchased from a sawmill. All parts were planed, cut, shaped, and built by me. The hardware is all reproduction items from various vendors. It took me 8 weeks to complete.

I had fully restored a similar cabinet back in 2002. So I had saved pictures and dimension from that. I drew my plans from memory. If you would like to view the cabinet that I restored, you can see it here:

http://www.myoldattic.com/klearfront

That is beautiful, hope my wife doesn't see it. I promised her a hoosier cabinet a little smaller than that, gathered a few parts but years slipped by and never did it.

My grandmother had one of those. As long as I remember the top piece was in the "Pantry" and the bottom was in the kitchen. She kept her mixer on it and rolled out tons of dough on that cabinet. The grand kids got to "select" certain items to have when she died. I ended up being the lucky one of the group. No one wanted the dining room set or the piano my Grandfather gave her as a wedding present so I got them with out arguments. Anyway we had an auction for the remaining items. Those Sellers cabinet pieces didn't do much for me as they were. The auctioneer came in on auction day and went crazy when he saw both cabinets split up. He instantly had his guys put them together. My GF still had the hardware in one of the drawers. It was a totally different animal put together and fetched over $1000. If I had known before hand what that was, it would have been in my house. :(

Edited by squonk

I admire any thing which is hand crafted. this is a great achievement. are you a carpenter by trade ?

No, not a carpenter. I learned everything from watching others. Some things come naturally, others take a while. My dad taught me to use hand tools, and my older brother taught me how to stain and finish. Wood shop in grade school was a start at using power tools.