JUST O&R

restoring a chip-a-saw

I think this is the next project. Found it on Ebay last year for $37.50 will need a lot of work but need something to do anyway.

The side with the decal is in good shape . The oil and fuel tank will need some work along with the recoil.

Will get started over the holidays. By the way   ( Merry Christmas ) to all

IMG_3435[1].JPG

IMG_3437[1].JPG

Edited by JUST O&R

I’m jealous, wow I can’t believe you got that on eBay for $37.50, what a steal!  Must have been listed funny cause those saws usually command a pretty high price. That’s a really nice Chip-A-Saw.

Got time today made that saw surrender. Its in pieces on the bench now  found a few problems recoil was hacked

missing screws, no muffler but all in all its not bad.

If I remember rite it was in a strange place .I put a good bit on it before I when to bed it was mine in the morning ? No clue

IMG_3439[1].JPG

IMG_3440[1].JPG

Tank need a little cleaning but not to bad. Got the engine back together, every thing was good some new gasket and away it goes

Are there any tank gasket out there or do I need to make one???  Just need to find the paint for the tank and will be in good shape.

IMG_3441[1].JPG

IMG_3442[1].JPG

Wow, that’s looking great!  

I was going to attempt a gasket repair on an old Orline 149 chainsaw but never got around to it. I was going to try Hondabond 4. Got as far as buying the Hondabond but never split the tank open. I think there is a similar material by Yamaha, Yamabond I think.  I’ve heard this stuff should work and it’s used on motorcycle crank cases.

Merry Christmas!

74D10AF2-7D32-4D9B-A448-979DBA575F60.jpeg

That yellow looks a lot like the original Cub Cadet yellow.  There are a couple versions of old School Bus yellow that might also look pretty close. I can’t remember the year but the later Cub Cadets switched to a brighter almost canary yellow, the older version definitely looked better.

28 minutes ago, CNew said:

I was going to attempt a gasket repair on an old Orline 149 chainsaw but never got around to it.

Pretty sure there's some tank gaskets in that parts stash I sent to you. Seemed like there was quite a bit of chainsaw parts in there.

3 hours ago, JUST O&R said:

Are there any tank gasket out there or do I need to make one???

I have 2 NOS tank gaskets but would like to keep them. BUT, I can send you one to copy and just send it back.

I use those paper hole punches for the little round screw holes. They make perfect holes in most materials and a sharp x-acto knife and or scissors to cut the big stuff. You can find a set of punches with different sizes fairly cheap. They work better than the hammer type of punches.

891003514_holepunch.jpg.1cf47bc5d6b52f31186ffeffa715fe92.jpg

You might be right, I’ll have to dig through that stuff again to see what all is there.  I still need to sort and organize everything, never got to it before the move.

Those hole punches do work well.  I recently bought a set of punches, can’t remember the brand but they work really well too. If you’re interested I’ll pull them out and send the info.

13 minutes ago, CNew said:

I’ll have to dig through that stuff again to see what all is there

Yeah, me too. Had mine for quite a few years and still don't really know what's all in there. Not that it's a huge amount but it's a lot of small parts.

I know there was some good stuff in there among the more useless things but all of it is good to have since you collect and repair.

Yeah, I remember there being some good stuff mixed in as I was doing a quick scan while boxing everything up for the move. I’ll need to just set aside some time and make a little inventory list...

I just went out to the garage to quickly look through one of the boxes and I think there is a gas tank gasket in there, part number 200137, does that sound right?  I’ll need to keep this one as well since I still have 4 chainsaws I have yet to fix up and I know a couple of the tanks are in really rough shape. But, like Wallfish I could part with it temporarily if you wanted to use it as a template and then send it back.  Or I could probably even trace it out and send that as a template if you didn’t want to hassle with mailing back and forth.

Let us know...

I would love to have one to copy. Do you think Eric would make some if we sent him one?

I have a few more that will probably need to be taken apart. Might be worth have that done.

He probably would. I don’t know what it would cost since he would have to CAD it up or have someone CAD it for him. The other trick will be finding the right material...

200137 is correct for that gas tank.

Look at me, I feel like David knowing a part # for once. LoL. (I plucked one from the parts pile because I know exactly what it looks like and the number's right on it)

Doubt there's enough demand to have Eric make a run on these but making them by hand is certainly worth the effort and time. He can CAD it up himself but the initial time involved is where the major expense is, plus the waste on material from the actual shape makes it a tough investment. Surprisingly, these are fairly thick material but having a plethora of different gasket material around isn't a bad thing when it comes to fixing any old machines. I've used everything from paper bags and cereal boxes to rubber roofing material over the years for making different gaskets. Any good auto parts store will have rolls of different materials and thicknesses and they're fairly inexpensive. These tank gaskets aren't a " tolerance heavy " item like an engine part gasket so anything that seals it will work, just as long as it will stand up to gasoline over time.

Having Eric CAD up some exhaust gaskets might be worth the expense. After the case seals, it's the second most often place you'll find leaks. Especially if the engine has been taken apart. Heating the old ones with a torch right before reassembly helps with making them pliable again and sealing better so many can be re-used. Some do better than others in my experience but once they're damaged it's a problem.

I've been toying with the idea of having Eric do a complete engine rebuild gasket set but haven't pulled the trigger on it. 

Too bad Eric can’t do magic and make the little rubber seals too!

1 hour ago, Wallfish said:

200137 is correct for that gas tank.

Look at me, I feel like David knowing a part # for once. LoL.

Ha, yeah but do you know what year the gasket was made and name of the production worker that stamped it out?.:yankchain:

Having Eric CAD up some exhaust gaskets might be worth the expense. After the case seals, it's the second most often place you'll find leaks.

Eric and I traded emails about maybe making these gaskets but I haven’t had time to go hunting again for the right gasket material. On my to do list...

MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ALL :)

Having a complete gasket kit would be great take one apart and just grab a gasket kit and reassemble.

Defiantly need to figure out the seals !!

thanks john so that's the rite thickness ?

The gasket that's on the saw came off in peaces hard to tell how thick.

Edited by JUST O&R

Not 100% sure if it's correct since I don't have a micrometer to measure them. I was just guessing but it should work. That gasket material linked was for the exhaust gaskets but it should also be good for the tank gasket. 

I'll send a tank gasket for you to copy. It's much easier that way than using the actual tank part for a template. Is there anything else you need so we can kill 2 birds with one shipment?

BTW, where's the video of you riding that skateboard?

15 minutes ago, Wallfish said:

BTW, where's the video of you riding that skateboard?

Too funny Wallfish, I was reading through older posts last night and looked at the Toby Cart and thought the exact same thing.... 

1 minute ago, CNew said:

Too Funny Wallfish, I was reading through older posts last night and looked at the Toby Cart and thought the exact same thing.... 

Should I hold the gasket hostage until he rides it? :yankchain:

18 minutes ago, Wallfish said:

That gasket material linked was for the exhaust gaskets but it should also be good for the tank gasket.

I should have an exhaust gasket somewhere, I’ll measure one along with the tank gasket.

I was just making breakfast so didn't  catch that. I think I need to find a willing sole to try it. Getting a little old for all that bone don't heal like the did in the old days.

( Ill need to find a Ginny pig ) would you like to give it a try?