Sign in to follow this  
Stormin

C-125 needing some TLC.

spacer.pngA mate of mine and myself picked up this C-125 a month or so ago. Unused for around two years and stored in a shed. A none runner and in need of some TLC.

Yesterday it arrived at my workshop to sort out.

P1030149.JPG.005796361c6a19cd8cad4bb85305bb5d.JPG

P1030147.JPG.69d419f7e72e2ded558a6c9348be8b79.JPG

P1030146.JPG.e83c5ec7c96126331c5e154f2ad87310.JPG

P1030150.JPG.80b82b30de3ad389cebcc2da3ead3f55.JPGP1030151.JPG.5c545d7437fe1065af207ffa1306cba1.JPG

Started on it this morning and I'll up date as progress is made. Mainly a case of fixing any issues and a general tidy up. It's to be a worker on the property he and his Good Lady have acquired, over the border in Scotland.

P1030148.JPG

It now runs after a points clean up and setting. And sweetly after a warm up and carb adjustment. :thumbs: Carb seems to be a plastic one. :scratchead: Works OK though.

May need a new HT lead. Doesn't look to good. Drove it in and out of the workshop ok after blowing the tyres up. Doing that let me know the rears are water ballasted. Wee'd on the floor. :rolleyes: I also think the brake needs attention. Stops dead when you depress the clutch. You can push it about easily though.

Another steering wheel is on the cards. It has a 'eck of a wobble. The steel insert in it is very loose. The shaft is fine.

Engine oil will be changed and trans drained, flush and refilled. Some nice cream in there. Gear lever boot is practically none existent. Axle seals etc. etc. etc.

First thing though, is to sort out the charging system. Cos it isn't. :( Electrics not my forte and my tame electrician is currently sunning himself in Spain.

Borrowed a multi meter today. I'll get one of my own next time I go into town. Stator charging OK and regulator/rectifier also. So battery must be getting a charge I assume.

But another little puzzle. When you turn the key the ammeter shows a discharge as it should. But when the engine is running, doesn't show a charge. I tried another ammeter, removed from a car many years ago, with the same result.

Any ideas or suggestions?

Well a little progress. It seems to be charging ok. Some starting and stopping over the last couple of days, to see if the battery goes flat. Been ok so far. May be a switch fault as suggested to me.

Plastic fender etc removed and the trans drained of milk. Gave the whole tractor a pressure wash this morning and got all the grease and grime off. Looks better already. I found when checking tyre pressures that the rear wheels are water ballasted. It will be getting ag tyres at some stage, as his woodland is quite hilly mainly.Trans has yet to be flushed with diesel, when I have something to sit on. Also engine oil to change. Everything else is well greased.

My mate is getting another fender. Steel one. When he gets over, I'll see how far he wants me to go and give him a list of what's required. Not much really, but another seat and steering wheel are at the top. Maybe a switch also.

One good thing is the tin ware is in good condition. No holes I can see or bad pitting. Just surface rust that sands off. But painting will be up to him. Depends on how soon he wants to put it to work. Nothing to stop it being used as it now is.

I noticed the other day something I had not noticed before. When starting the engine, I go right from on, to the start position.  I have now discovered that the starter is turning the engine as soon as the key is turned on and before the start position. If the engine doesn't start and the key released to go back to the on position, the starter motor is still running. Though not engaging the ring gear. Can't be heard with the engine running of course. Switch problem?

Got a new switch today and fitted it this afternoon. Same thing happening. I'm thinking two things.

(1) The wiring has been messed about a bit at sometime. There is no plug on the harness to the switch. Female connectors on the wires. 4 wires. Red. Orange. Green. Black. I need to know which wire connects to which terminal. Just in case they have been connected wrongly. The wiring diagram doesn't show that, as it is supposed to have a plug connector.

(2) Is the starter solenoid faulty. Maybe sticking in start mode. Can it be tested?

I hope all that makes sense. Any help gladly accepted before I go doolally and set fire to the thing

Hi Norm, You don't say what model it is, so I presume it's 1980/81 which uses a 3 position/5 pin 103990 Ign Switch. I've handed my C-120 Info on to Roly with the Tractor, but checked for comparison using parts list.

This diagram should be identical for you to check yours-

wiring.JPG.d82ad3f8b2760165477f4ef859a2593c.JPG  

The solenoid may look non serviceable, but I only needs 4 rivets drilling out and replacing after a clean out. Covered it in my C-120/Raider update if you want a link?.

Hope it helps. 

Edit - 103990 switch pins are marked-

S- Safety Switch/ Sol Start.  R- Rectifier.  A- Accessories (lights).  I - Igntion (poss via seat safety switch) .   B - Battery/Ammeter 

82 Richard.

A new switch has been fitted and connections checked. Several times. Same result. Switch on and starter motor engages. When engine stops turning, without starting and Bendix returns, starter motor continues to run until switch turned off.

Took a solenoid off my C-125 and tried that with the same result.

I'm suspecting a wiring fault. There are no safety switches fitted and the wires have been joined together. Live to negative.  I'm thinking of running two new wires too the solenoid.  Bypassing those in the harness. Also may swap the starter motor and the ammeter. Though I can't see either of those being the problem.

I'm beginning to wish I'd never seen the darn thing.  

I've just realised something on reading back. When the key was originally in the on position, the ammeter showed a discharge but did not energise the starter. Oh boy! The plot thickens. I'll go back over everything I've done.