Wallfish

Using Citrus degreaser

So far I'm a big fan of using the citrus degreaser. It doesn't stink so it can be used in the house. This allows me more opportunity to get stuff done during the winter months and late in the evening. It works well for cutting through the common 2 stroke oil grime on these engines and attachments. This engine plate was done late last night in my office, going out to do it in the shed is a big hassle and cold so it won't happen. It took about 15-20 minutes using paper towels and some Q-tips.

I use a small bucket to spray over and the small parts thrown in the bottom get soaked by the dripping excess at the same time. I have an old gas tank with old gas and that stink so I'll try that outside and see what happens. Hopefully neutralizes that horrible stink.

BEFORE

IMG_0407.JPG.62f8e3966197883a5fb7a2857b49e1e6.JPG

IMG_0408.JPG.9fb325117a301c0461fa7a0b62d3e6a5.JPG

IMG_0409.JPG.cfaf6eba4611c7e97255fa5dfb16764a.JPG

AFTER. There's still some minor little spots in the nooks and crannies but that happens with solvent too. Typically I'll use a toothpick to scrape those clean. The wood doesn't scratch

IMG_0410.JPG.41e798850943406c37f3bd6f6212528d.JPG

IMG_0412.JPG.84224111d64b046b4fd355776e80a809.JPG

IMG_0411.JPG.600baea9eef68868de5e2aa5b3488333.JPG

Haven't tried other brands yet. Picked this one off the shelf at Home Depot because it was cheap. It doesn't have a strong citrus smell either. Just very subtle. It's still a messy job. Forgot to mention I use a small bristle brush too, looks like a tooth brush but has longer bristles to reach down in there.

There's also citrus paint remover which works well. The wife had some so I stole the bottle one day to try. It works well but not as fast as solvent based but the trade off is worth it.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/HDX-32-oz-Citrus-Degreaser-21568948601/203420801

Here's a long bristle brush, kind of expensive but...

I typically get a bunch of cheapies at the engine shows from the vendors, they're like 3 for $1 but will maybe check this one out too.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/ProLine-Nylon-Bristle-Grout-Brush-BWK9008/203175883

Old toothbrushes work well too for most things

That looks like it works good no bad smell in the house ether. if you wont to do a little in the house.

If I brought one of these in the house I would be shot. that why I work on them at the shop.

34 minutes ago, JUST O&R said:

If I brought one of these in the house I would be shot.

Instructions: Take your pants out of her pocketbook and put them on. :yankchain: just mess'n with ya! :D

I have a home office upstairs so doing stuff like this isn't typically a problem. These are tiny small so it's not a problem so far. She can't stand the stink of gas and especially that old gas smell. Any solvent would be a big problem too but this citrus degreaser has opened up a whole new opportunity for me to work on stuff when I can. I don't typically ask for permission, just wait for the complaining to start and deal with then. So far so good with this stuff and she hasn't noticed a thing. Spraying them outside first works real good to dumb down the gas smell. It doesn't seem to affect the paint either so...

The idiot that shipped the TT400 didn't drain the 40 year old gas out so the whole thing was covered in it from rolling around inside the bubble wrap during shipping. Can't believe the post office didn't flag it for hazardous material because the whole package stunk so bad. Sprayed it outside, gave it a quick wipe down and brought it in the house. She never noticed or said a thing and believe you me, she doesn't pass on ANY opportunity to complain! After treating that gas tank it doesn't stink anywhere near like it did before.

I know what you mean my wife's nose is like a cat. She can smell something  when you talk about it .The new house

will need a detached garage. (hell I'm in the dog house most of the time anyhow ) what are you going to do with all that junk!!

(retirement plan just need to get more) Although the kids today have no interest in this stuff .

I had one come in like that too, stunk to high heaven and must have been 50yr old varnish. I couldn’t believe it wasn’t caught in the mail and stopped. It leaked in the package too.  I cleaned the tank and it still stinks.  Maybe I should try citrus in it.