CNew

Ohlsson Rice: Orline Exhaust Fan / Sold as a Manhole Fan?

Now that’s more like it, it only took 4 days shipping for this one to arrive. I’ll add more photos this weekend. If this was used as a manhole fan that would explain some of the corrosion, sewer gases. This thing is going to be a project but also a really fun one.

5DC351F1-7271-4769-9715-144D677C33F1.jpeg

I hear ya, I think I’m going to start tackling this fan.  Terry has been cranking through these. I’m still making slow progress on that Clinton outboard. I’m having to fully strip the paint which is tedious. I think it’s going to look cool when I’m done though.

Turns out the main fan shroud on the Orline looks to be either a molded plastic or fiberglass material.  I thought it might be metal...

Still curious if that is actually a manhole fan. It's my understanding those fans blow air into the holes to ventilate the areas. Seems blowing in the engine exhaust would not be a good idea but maybe the amount of exhaust compared with the amount of air volume makes it minimal. :dunno: 

Does the tank have a bracket? That would give the orientation of how it's intended to be used, either like it is in the pic or horizontal.

It does have a tank bracket. There are also a couple arrow stickers showing the direction of the airflow. Looks like the aluminum handle would actually sit on the ground which would make the engine upside down and air flowing past it.  In this orientation the exhaust from the engine would also get blown up and out.

29 minutes ago, CNew said:

In this orientation the exhaust from the engine would also get blown up and out.

But the tank fill neck would need to be facing the fan blade in that orientation so it doesn't empty and would be difficult to fill.

Which orientation does the bracket hold the tank?

I"m glad you figured out how to get things shipped to you!! That will be a good project. That is a good question about

the exhaust.  Clit should be done with the outboard in time for summer:yankchain:.

Started on the fan. Everything was going ok until the shaft sleeve on the end of the crankshaft that holds the fan blade. It doesn’t want to free off.

77C3A63F-B98C-43A7-A1A1-A87A2F839510.jpeg

8FEAAB0C-B090-4ACD-8474-79C265F45CAD.jpeg

did that shaft have a screw in it holding it to the crank? If so, screw it back in with very slight gap between the head of the screw and the end of the shaft, hold the shaft or put in a vice and strike the head of the screw with a hammer to separate it. Just guessing it's a taper fit like the flywheel but could be something else. I use a hard rubber mallet so it doesn't distort the heads or nuts being hit..

Well I heated it and tried all the tricks and was just about to give up on it for the day when it finally started to move. After some more gentle persuasion it finally came free. Good feeling.....

I think it ended up being a combo method. I did the “screw the bolt in almost all the way” method and worked at it for awhile. Then I did the gentle heat and quickly followed it with the bolt method at the same time. All the while I was keeping it good and soaked in Kroil. Oh, and because the fan blade is so thick it had two of the sleeves/spacers so I decided to use the long bolt and both sleeves when doing the “bolt method” and that’s when it started to free up.

Curious, has anyone found a good substitute for these old O&R throttle cables?  This one is pretty beat up. I’ll probably be able to get it free and working again but it hasn’t been treated well over the years. It’s a bit kinked and the white sheath is cracked in places.

Just O&R, what yellow paint did you end up using on the chainsaw? I may end up trying to touch up the paint on the recoil housing - it’s missing half the paint. I don’t want to make it too new looking since the overall fan tool shows its age.

5 minutes ago, JUST O&R said:

Is it a hard center cable or soft?

It’s the braided/twisted wire type. I just got it free and moving so I think I can make this one work. Maybe if I can find some white Plasti-dip I can touch up some of the chipped and cracked areas on the outer sheath.

Started doing some cleaning on the parts. Wow, not sure what got splattered all over the main fan shroud but it is glued to it like tar.  It’s taking some serious elbow grease but I think I’ll be able to get it to a presentable state. This black gunk stuff also stained the paint a little. It won’t be perfect when I’m done but I’ll get it looking nice.

Just looking back a the pic this morning that throttle is like one of my hedge trimmers. I may have one like that but

wont be back to the shop until Tuesday .

p.s I dont think the yellow i use will work (To bright and shiny )

I think this cable will work ok. I’m going to try some white heat shrink at the kink where the cable exits the grip to see if that helps tidy it up a little.

Whatever this was used for the crap it was sucking and blowing was nasty and corrosives!

5439D6B9-2844-4895-B85B-2BAB9E9B710F.jpeg