Rich

Assistance for a complete Newbie

Hi there, being a complete novice in this field, I was just wondering if anyone can point me in the right direction. I have just become the current keeper of a fairly well used Ohlsson and Rice engine with water pump attached. Condition is not great so some remedial therapy is going to be required. I have seen some Identification codes on other posts but suspect partial dismantling will be required to get to a clear view of the crank case. So before starting to pull it down, can anyone confirm any of the following from the images: Model, approximate year of construction (I appreciate that pre 67 this is not easy but I am not even sure it is pre 67) whether the little pump and tank with what appears to be a premix plunger are original or modifications, availability of rebuild parts (which I suspect is like my pre 60’s Honda parts nice on impossible to get)  Many thanks for your considerations. Cheers Rich

A76A4EE4-15D9-45DC-9502-E33CDF886462.jpeg

769E9E5C-F536-4A2A-B9AE-9714C1467378.jpeg

B66CCBCA-ADF4-4426-9373-29F3D7899D7E.jpeg

Welcome Rich. The tank is definitely the wrong tank looks like the bent the original tank bracket to  install that tank.

You should be able to see the number just under the tank bracket and beside the carb on the block.

If you get those numbers David can help  you with that. He will have a good idea just buy looking.

Welcome Rich!  That’s a pretty neat little pump.

I can probably fix you up with a new carburetor diaphragm and gasket when you get to that point in the repair, just send me a PM when you’re ready.

9 hours ago, JUST O&R said:

Welcome Rich. The tank is definitely the wrong tank looks like the bent the original tank bracket to  install that tank.

You should be able to see the number just under the tank bracket and beside the carb on the block.

If you get those numbers David can help  you with that. He will have a good idea just buy looking.

Hey thanks for the response and the excellent direction. Under lots of oily dust I found the numbers exactly as you said. It says it is a type 118 with a code # of 069131. Really appreciate your help. Cheers Rich

20 minutes ago, CNew said:

Welcome Rich!  That’s a pretty neat little pump.

I can probably fix you up with a new carburetor diaphragm and gasket when you get to that point in the repair, just send me a PM when you’re ready.

Hey CNew, (Name unknown sorry) That sounds brilliant, you do realise that you would need to send it to me in Brisbane Australia??? Hope that won’t be an issue. Cheers Rich

Rich someone on here can get you the carb parts one way or another. You found the rite place

The tanks come up on ebay every now and then they are a  little harder to come by.

they are like air filters and mufflers and baffles they get taken off and there gone.

Just let us know if we can help.

David will be along soon he will help you with the year. ( he is the best we have):bow:

Thanks again. Is there a reference I can go to to identify what year this little thing was made, I hate being a hassle for anyone and I am sure David has way more important things to do than worry about my little issue.

Edited by Rich

:WMOM:

Not sure the exact year can be nailed down.

That appears to me to be a mid to late 60s engine? It's not early because of the coil on there but not late because of the pull handle and cooling baffle.
I don't know the date of any of mine and have about 60-70, I think. Lost count a while ago.

Clean her up and use the file drawing below to identify parts you need. We'll help you best we can.

1 hour ago, Rich said:

Thanks again. Is there a reference I can go to to identify what year this little thing was made, I hate being a hassle for anyone and I am sure David has way more important things to do than worry about my little issue.

click on here and scroll down to 1965. You'll see 118

33 minutes ago, Wallfish said:

I don't know the date of any of mine and have about 60-70, I think. Lost count a while ago.

You just need to dived them between the rest of us scene your not collecting them any more. :poke: 

1 hour ago, JUST O&R said:

You just need to dived them between the rest of us scene your not collecting them any more. :poke: 

OK, You get the Tiny Tigers, not the good stuff :yankchain:

53 minutes ago, JUST O&R said:

HIs that the tiny tiger he is sending to me That would be great

awesome .  

Yup! This is the one. Please let me know if you need a diaphragm to go with it. :D

It's missing a spark plug but was running when I parked it.

IMG_0451.JPG.20b1c31a3b204e839274012f50c89283.JPG

I will need a spark plug but also a gasket set do you have one.  maybe a part or two we cane make it work.

I see now what the problem is there is no air filter If your going to send something you need to send an air filter..

Here we are off on something  that has nothing to do with the post now I know why David goes nuts.:D

5 hours ago, JUST O&R said:

I;m sorry David but I love it. I haven't had this much fun for along time.

Ha!😝 by the sound of it you guys can’t resist yourselves. Makes interesting reading regardless..... have started to gently remove the years of grime and while I still have lots more to do, it is already looking a little healthier....13F67F56-49E9-415D-993C-4F836908F2A5.jpeg.db1d29ccc95f37dfccf17da51fa55fcd.jpeg221732F0-B4FD-48D5-88F7-5815D3A0F0CC.jpeg.ef04e9e061850286c7ca131c622c0fa3.jpegoED136359-D931-4ADA-A737-C92B72C6CB6A.jpeg.544e2e0a27ea06a0059772b3d67e2c5e.jpeg

On 2/11/2020 at 11:43 PM, Rich said:

:WMOM:

I do worry about the detail, I've checked a few parts lists and I can give a good estimate of late 1964 to early 1965 for SN #069131.

On 2/12/2020 at 1:21 AM, Wallfish said:

Not sure the exact year can be nailed down.

That appears to me to be a mid to late 60s engine? It's not early because of the coil on there but not late because of the pull handle and cooling baffle.

The coil is fine for 1964/65, the April 1964 has A-149-3 which is the coil fitted, the early spark plug insulator was apparently used until SN #063807. Also according to the April 1964 parts list, engines after 066809 use the plastic reed valve.

Does the starter housing have a hole for the other cylinder cooling baffle that was used on later engines?

Also the shape of the top part of the pump casting is slightly different to those I've seen before, they don't normally have 'IN' & 'OUT' cast into them, plus the threads are much finer than usual (edit: as shown in the picture).

SAM_1546a.jpg.db985274ebe281786e0e9df87a2f41c4.jpg

David

Edited by factory
added picture

On 2/11/2020 at 1:03 PM, JUST O&R said:

The tank is definitely the wrong tank looks like the bent the original tank bracket to  install that tank.

The tank looks similar to the oil tank (with pump) used on the Petro chainsaw (see picture below), well that is apart from the gas cap being a bit bigger.

SAM_4508a.jpg.e81d35977ad0cf23854f9c9624623f35.jpg

What is the length & diameter of your gas tank?

David

7 hours ago, factory said:

The tank looks similar to the oil tank (with pump) used on the Petro chainsaw (see picture below), well that is apart from the gas cap being a bit bigger.

What is the length & diameter of your gas tank?

David

Well....David, that is amazing! I am away from at the moment but have removed the tank and will measure it as soon as I get back and let you know directly. Re the pump, mine is almost brass coloured but I have only paid scant attention to it in the initial clean so I am more than likely completely off base. Will be back to you in a few days. Cheers and thanks to you all Rich. PS have come up with a small potential modification to allow me to use engine to power one of my Honda’s....

7269B41A-6ACA-478A-AAC9-4D18901B78F6.jpeg

7 hours ago, factory said:

The tank looks similar to the oil tank (with pump) used on the Petro chainsaw 

David,

Is the Petro chainsaw the same as the Chugger Saw.

On 2/11/2020 at 3:33 PM, Rich said:

Hey CNew, (Name unknown sorry) That sounds brilliant, you do realise that you would need to send it to me in Brisbane Australia??? Hope that won’t be an issue. Cheers Rich

Rich,

I’ve never mailed anything to AU before but I’ll go by the post office sometime and look into it.  Send me a PM with your address.

Clint

16 hours ago, Rich said:

PS have come up with a small potential modification to allow me to use engine to power one of my Honda’s....

To power that scooter you would need to gear it down quite a bit. We used to have other members from Australia on the old forum so there must be some engines available there. Finding an engine with a gearbox will give some reduction plus it will have a centrifugal clutch. That would help immensely getting everything powered in a smaller package.

Get that thing going and and race 50 meters and time it. That way @JUST O&R can finally get on that Tobey Cart and race you!

17 hours ago, Rich said:

Well....David, that is amazing! I am away from at the moment but have removed the tank and will measure it as soon as I get back and let you know directly. Re the pump, mine is almost brass coloured but I have only paid scant attention to it in the initial clean so I am more than likely completely off base. Will be back to you in a few days. Cheers and thanks to you all Rich. PS have come up with a small potential modification to allow me to use engine to power one of my Honda’s....

It's nice to see something a little bit different, if it uses a rubber impeller like the US made pumps then do not run the pump dry.

In my notebook I have noted the size of one of the O&R gas tanks, diameter 2⅝" & length 4⅞".

These engines were popular for building various home-made mini-bikes/scooters, a few companies also made mini-bikes & skateboards using O&R power.

David

Edited by factory
added tank size