Wallfish

Turbair TOT 2s is next up for a refresh

Trying to keep up with JUST O&R is a real pain!  This just so happened to be the closest box on the shelf but have been intending to get to this one. I have the correct recoil cover with the label and the chrome could use some cleaning. I'll dis-assemble the entire engine and unit to clean and freshen everything up.

These are cool little insecticide spraying fans from across the pond.

IMG_0456(1).JPG.098e48dc2594d254e760330f18d70d78.JPG

IMG_0455(1).JPG.59b9cb8445df2484d628a97ff97e8a33.JPG

IMG_0458(1).JPG.a5ed293a324f7a2461c4ae098b986fcb.JPG

Almost forgot about this unique and very interesting feature of these things.

Notice where the diaphragm section of the carb is. It's not connected to the carb body and feeds fuel remotely through a fuel line

IMG_0459.JPG.1761b4e780109ec11cd25e6fe46035ae.JPG

1 hour ago, Wallfish said:

I'll dis-assemble the entire engine and unit to clean and freshen everything up.

Just to let you know, the screws for the tubular steel frame maybe be held with loctite, they were not US threads either and getting the fan blade off was a pain too (the six screws only hold the atomiser discs in place).

David

I got the fan blade off fairly easy by doing it like a flywheel. Loosen the bolt, hold the blade and hit the bolt with a rubber mallet. Did have a hard time getting that piece which holds the frame off of the engine.

@factory David, what's the difference between a model 176 and 186? Thr Turbair is a 186 but I have a NOS real nice engine 176 which is a glow plug conversion. Just remove the glow plug and I can swap all the other engine pieces. The only real difference I think is the crank end. The 176 is tapered with the keyed grooves and the 176 is just tapered. The connection does not require the keyed grooves. Probably just swap it anyway.

IMG_0554.JPG.316acef559ec7f492a556cbbe0b76610.JPG

Those fans are so cool, hoping or of these days to find one. Interesting carb set up, I’ll have to study that one a bit more..

You guys need to kiss David's @@@ because you may need someone to send it to you. And @pmackellow Paul's too.

I had 2 sent over and sold one to Jim, @usedtoolman. Which reminds me, I need to get a hold of him and get him to participate on here again. Very smart and knowledgeable guy. Maybe the only 2 in the USA? :dunno:

1 hour ago, CNew said:

Interesting carb set up, I’ll have to study that one a bit more.

The carb itself is not special at all. It's the parts they made to fit and do that is what's special. Fairly simple too. They moved it so the fan parts fit closer to the engine as the diaphragm section would've hit.

21 hours ago, Wallfish said:

David, what's the difference between a model 176 and 186? Thr Turbair is a 186 but I have a NOS real nice engine 176 which is a glow plug conversion.

The Type 186 is used on my Turbair sprayers too, sadly the service manual lacks a parts list for it, but does have the type 176 (I have a pump with a type 176), the differences are going to be the type of gas tank supplied, the mounting flange with the extra threaded holes and the carb parts used (they also remove unused parts from these lists).

I also have an engine from a later 13B version, this one is a Type 13B338, the sprayers should have a choke lever label on the large cylinder cooling baffle.

And finally everyone of these sprayers I've seen has the spring removed form the carb idle screw, which is then screwed all the way in, as shown in the manual too.

1569618020_TurbairTot2SCarb.jpg.2af4d2d108bad97d18145e603bd5fdfd.jpg

1961047413_TurbairTot2SInstructionManualPage1e.jpg.fce6e84f87432485e37b3e61dd6cb6db.jpg

David

They go quick when there's a nice new engine available for it. Just need to finish the recoil but I'll do 3 or 4 at a time because once you get go'n on them it just seems to go smoother. The chrome on this cleaned up nice. 

(probably get cancer from the crap that was inside from the chemicals run through it.)

IMG_0461.JPG.db5f1c6c18a7ba0947631a88644e044e.JPG

IMG_0462.JPG.7fbbbf106d2bdcc8f5b74d20b400b9fd.JPG

IMG_0463.JPG.8d44bb8190337eb5950950ca034281ce.JPG

Here's a close up pic of those carb adapters

IMG_0460.JPG.aa4e644e4e8de3e30850b898043c67e6.JPG

It was already in decent condition, new engine available and not really too many parts on those

Kinda neglecting my duties up here in the office work'n on engines for hours instead doing actual work

10 hours ago, CNew said:

Wow, that turned out really nice, almost looks new! You turned that one really fast, giving Just O&R some competition...

That did come out great . lighting fast I thing he took the week end off from work . I on the other hand had a honey do list.

So I went backwards on this one. Then to top it off David said I used the wrong gasket so I will try Clint's way and try to

cut some out. :banghead:

20 hours ago, Wallfish said:

They go quick when there's a nice new engine available for it. Just need to finish the recoil but I'll do 3 or 4 at a time because once you get go'n on them it just seems to go smoother. The chrome on this cleaned up nice. 

(probably get cancer from the crap that was inside from the chemicals run through it.)

I wouldn't worry too much, you've probably eaten plenty of food that has been sprayed with these chemicals over the years.

Did it look as bad as mine? Which was also very rusty & corroded too, which may have contributed to the blade being a PITA to remove.

SAM_4910a.jpg.a82a12db1d7ea2ddf41a288234df48e4.jpg SAM_4911a.jpg.6972a841987e4d2597375bc332f5ffd9.jpg

David

On 2/18/2020 at 5:24 PM, factory said:

Did it look as bad as mine?

No it didn't. Yours has enough cake there to dissolve it in water and make a full bottle of vintage chemical solution. :D