CNew

Ohlsson & Rice: Coil Testing?

I’m sure this has been discussed before but starting a new thread to capture the knowledge.  Is there a simple way to check coil function on the bench?  I have an older style coil that is really beat up and I think has been exposed to some nasty chemicals or something because the plastic housing is gummy, soft and sticky. It also has a deep gash that broke through to the coil underneath. Not sure if it’ll function or is fixable.

13F45A69-2571-49F4-B2AE-1F5A4B3E0D88.jpeg

CB6B511A-E39A-4D32-A751-A517DB0E80CC.jpeg

It doesn't look good . I had a coil tester years ago but when the stopped using points in the 80s sold it

wish I had it now  hindsight is 20/20

Yeah, guessing this one isn’t going to be repairable. I’ll have to dig through my stuff to see if I have another donor coil like this older style.

The only simple test is to use a multimeter (set to ohms/resistance function) to test the two coil windings, the secondary coil should have a resistance in the kilohm's range, but this will not tell you if the secondary has shorted turns.

Coil testers can't be common outside of a repair shop, with a bit more electronic knowledge other test gear could be used.

David

Yeah, looking to replace this one. The plastic is so squishy and sticky it’s nasty!  Now I just need to keep on the lookout for one of these older style coils...

I have a good coil but the wires are messed up. A little wire, a little solder, a little shrink tube or just shrink tube them.

Let me know if you want itIMG_0464.JPG.dae9a31ebafc1d0befab78c60864a5f7.JPG

Thanks John, I might take you up on that.  I found another one off an old rusted engine- it’s pretty ugly. I’m going to try it first but I don’t have high hopes because it’s pretty corroded and rusted between all the little thin metal plates. If it doesn’t work then I’ll probably need to buy your’s.

I finally got this little engine all pulled apart and forgot about these early ones having the bearings with the plastic cages - what a bad engineering idea that was...  This may not have been the best engine for me to pick as an experiment for gasket and seal alternatives but I’m committed now...

8 hours ago, CNew said:

This may not have been the best engine for me to pick as an experiment for gasket and seal alternatives but I’m committed now...

Do you need some ( better) bearings ? I should had some somewhere.

16 minutes ago, JUST O&R said:

Do you need some ( better) bearings ? I should had some somewhere.

I might, it looks like at least one of the cages has a crack all the way through. It’s still holding together and the rollers move freely. I’m surprised this old plastic hasn’t disintegrated completely, however I suspect running the engine might blow it to bits...  I’m going to scrounge through my stuff as well and see if I have something in a donor engine. I don’t really want to put new parts in this engine, I’d rather save them for a tool project. I’ll keep you posted but if you come across some let me know. These older style plastic ones seem to be a little harder to come by. I wish it were possible to swap over to metal but the design is completely different.  I’ll try to add a couple photos of what I’m running into later tonight.

Already off topic, oh well.

They did use metal bearing cages in the late production model plane engines that preceded the Compact range, must have been a crap cost cutting idea to use the plastic ones, they also seem to swell up which may be the reason they destroy themselves.

David