CNew

Ohlsson & Rice: Type 117 Rebuild

Would it be too risky to re-use this bearing?  I don’t plan to run the engine much and since the bearing cage is all confined when installed I’m wondering if it might still work even though it is cracked. What would you guys do?

3D61CA73-6204-4EDA-8B70-D016120427A3.jpeg

Ok, that’s what I figured. I’m going’s to check one more source. I have the guts to another engine that might be old enough to have the plastic bearings. I’ll pull the induction unit apart later today to see if it has one in decent shape.

Does anyone by chance have a couple spare, used bearing rollers that go to the bottom (large) end of the connecting rod?  I was thinking there may have been one missing when I took this engine apart and now that I’m reassembling it I’m certain once is missing. I think there are supposed to be 14 of these rollers and there are only 13.

Ha, I did:P I’m always extra careful with these bearings. I actually think someone else was in this engine before and may have lost one.

You can use one of those magnetic business cards or a fridge type magnet to help keep those rollers under control. A bigger magnet helps with finding them if they do escape

The maintenance manual* does state 14 rollers are used for the con-rod big end and 19 rollers used for the con-rod little end, but I think I should also check some unopened packs of these bearings to confirm this as the later parts list fail to mention any quantities for the rollers.

*The manual is supposed to be for the 1HP engine, but I have a picture from one of my restorations showing 16 rollers on the con-rod big end for a 1HP engine. :scratchhead:

David

Thanks David- I was starting to get confused as well between the versions. This Type 117 only has room for 14 (at least for the size rollers it came with).

That's funny I just took one apart and it had 16 bearing I was going to send him a few tomorrow now I'm wondering if the

one a have is the correct for him??

Hmmmm, very interesting. Let me take another close look at it tonight but I’m almost certain there is no way to get 16 in there. I wonder if they changed the ID of the connecting rod opening or went to slightly smaller OD rollers at some point. This 117 definitely looks like an earlier engine since it has the steel baffles, old style coil, etc. 

Those early engines have some smaller sized bearing assemblies, I'm fairly certain the con-rod bearing is too, that's why they give so many parts to change if replacing the plastic caged types.

Edit: Later engines have several beefed up bearings on the crankshaft/backshaft.

David

I need to pin this down I don't think we/I have all the books

The book I'm looking at is 1961 show 20-5 does not show a replacement  shows 9

1962 show a-27-11 and use a-20-5-13-7 show retainer w/rollers

the next book is 1965 a-20-5-16-7 show roller asm

found this with the bearing a-27-5-13-7

IMG_1957[1].JPG

I'm not good at the paperwork side what size is the bearing and does your rod have the slot in it that would make it simpler

for me to find what bearing you need

1 hour ago, JUST O&R said:

I need to pin this down I don't think we/I have all the books

The book I'm looking at is 1961 show 20-5 does not show a replacement  shows 9

1962 show a-27-11 and use a-20-5-13-7 show retainer w/rollers

the next book is 1965 a-20-5-16-7 show roller asm

found this with the bearing a-27-5-13-7

IMG_1957[1].JPG

Apart from the roller part numbers everything else is the same as the information I posted on the previous page (posts 19 & 21), the larger diameter bearing assembly was introduced between April & August 1964.

Nice to see that page from 1963 confirming the need to change the con-rod to a slotted one when using the all metal con-rod bearing A-20-5-13-7.

David