Sign in to follow this  
Fix'em all

Homelite C-51 Ignition coil

I recently bought two Homelite C-51 chainsaws. The second one I bought now runs like new & is probably the loudest chainsaw you will ever come across. The first one is no longer seized & I have some more new rings after not taking enough care with the first set I bought. My big problem now is lack of spark & the coil has been tested & is definitely the reason. The Homelite part number is 55986-A. These are extremely scarse & non existent in the UK. I cannot justify the cost of purchasing one off fleabay & shipping over from the states. Has anyone any idea where there could be one over here. Ian 

IMG_20191116_150509.jpg

IMG_20200118_131741.jpg

Tried the mower centre but no luck. I hate to be beaten & would like to see this saw run again. Has anyone ever cut open a failed coil & successfully rewound it. These coils are like hens teeth.

IMG_20200413_185127.jpg

As far as I know those type of coils are basically all the same. Either that or I've been very lucky just by using ignorance since I've used anything which would fit in the past and had success every time. Even using 4 stroke coils on 2 stroke engines and vise versa. I'm not sure which engines are plentiful over there but look for another make chainsaw coil or any other engine's coil which has relatively the same size coil. Remove it from that laminated piece if it's on one and install it on your laminated piece. As long as it fits under the flywheel and into the space it should be good. Location of the plug wire hole on the coil could be important depending on C51 saw space and how the plug wire is routed. If the square hole in the center is too large, shim it to fit tight. I have cut a layer or 2 off the laminate for fitting a smaller square hole on to one too.

If you have other engines around which would have an easier to acquire coil, check it out and try it in the C51 to see if you can use one.

Thanks for your advice. Its like you say, the size & HT lead position are critical within the limited space available. I have my fingers crossed at the moment as a guy in Ireland has a good coil & doesn't want the earth for it . Cheers, Ian