pmackellow

O&R boat engine

Just now, CNew said:

Looks great!

By the way, that stamped metal Ohlsson & Rice sign is pretty awesome!

Thanks, I got the sign at a show last November, the guy had a proper stamping press in the back of his van and was doing them on site,

I got a Wheelhorse one and an Ohlsson Rice one done

2 hours ago, Wallfish said:

What tool this is?

Looks like the Tarpen mini-engine to me (another UK only tool), possibly fitted to a hedge trimmer attachment (hard to tell).

David

1 hour ago, factory said:

Looks like the Tarpen mini-engine to me (another UK only tool), possibly fitted to a hedge trimmer attachment (hard to tell).

David

indeed it is a Tarpen mini engine and you are correct David it has a long hedge trimmer attached

I had to go all the way to Birmingham to pick that one up, worth the journey though :D

That's interesting to know, the guy I bought mine from said he found it in an engineering surplus shop in Birmingham in the early 1970's, rather ironically for this thread he used that engine in a scale model boat. When I collected the boat I mentioned I was more interested in the tools these O&R engines powered, he then mentioned he had keep some of the Tarpen housing parts, which he sent my way for the cost of postage. :thumbs:

The Tarpen engine got reassembled minus the clutch and I sold the boat to a collector who was going to restore it & fit an electric power plant.

David

6 hours ago, gleniffer said:

Can you remember where you got that brilliant stamped O & R sign - I don't suppose you've got any contact details. .... ?

Have sent you a private message ! :thumbs:

Welcome to the forum!  Cool engine and nice find.  Looks to have the coveted Octura carburetor and mounting bracket. The water cooled head looks to be a nice conversion as well.
If you do decide to open it up usually cleaning the contact points works wonders to get a strong spark.

Bit late but :WMOM:

Nice to see another with the Octura mount & carb, the water-cooled cylinder with 10mm plug is original, O&R had a part no. for this one, possibly looks repaired where the tubes are attached.

The type 193 is a standard engine supplied by O&R for many uses, Octura bought them & would have supplied all the other parts.

I'm guessing it doesn't have the special Octura rotary valve, nor does mine & believe it or not, the serial number is only two numbers apart from your engine, someone lost the cooling baffles from mine (the plates with the serial/type decal).

SAM_9143e.jpg.ba94ca3e2fb6794a91d29924cb1e2525.jpg

SAM_9142a.jpg.65da6b809f77c7cb43d748e5b318dbad.jpg DSC_1306a.jpg.809ce573fee7a45e8db4c4c487b76942.jpg

Since acquiring mine I have added the Octura carb & an extra noisy open muffler. :hyper:

SAM_6494a.jpg.4f3c9b727df145c10f1df1aeadb314fa.jpg

David