Wallfish

Mono Chainsaw

Sometimes it's best to walk away for a bit and get back to it later if you're not motivated to do it. Maybe not for 5 or 6 years :hide:but typically the job gets done better when you want to do it vs just going through the motions to get it done. Is time better spent working on something you enjoy doing instead of having a finish project you didn't like doing?  It may be different if you enjoy the finished product more than doing the work to get it there.

20 hours ago, Wallfish said:

Almost done, just waiting on a chain cover decal from Sugarcreek and get the oiler knob on.

looks great!!! I like the air  filter bracket  kinda neat. that knob look like it was made to fit. :thumbs:

On 3/19/2020 at 1:53 AM, Wallfish said:

Slow progress on this one but it's close. Been stay'n up late and pecking away at it.

The paint is a little light of a tint for the yellow but it's staying. And no way was I going to spray paint everything like the originals were done. I was able to save the original recoil decal. Got it peeled off then painstakingly had to very carefully scrape off all of the stuck paint from the back of it. Scraped off the smearing and dinge from the white parts and touched up the color parts. It came out alright but still need to spray a coat of clear over it. Clint helped me out with the wording of the tank decals and those were just printed on my own. The aluminum handle was broken down at the bottom where it bolts on so had to fix that too.

IMG_0508.JPG.72a990ab22e2bbca4c1536b286d88521.JPG

Looking very nice and well done for saving the original decal. :thumbs:

David

The Sugarcreek decals arrived today. Although they state these are 3" decals, luckily for us they are actually 2.5" decals and will fit the recoil. They do fit on as is but trimming off some of the outer black circle will give even a better fit.

@CNew let's trade decals as the chain cover will look better with the larger decal you have and your recoil will be taken care of with the smaller 2.5 decal. That circle cutter will come in handy again!

IMG_0547.JPG.aa178b36b39d091f4a890e7e590a08a8.JPG

IMG_0548.JPG.cbb42b226a0696252c91a6f27aa19398.JPG

If anyone has the knowledge, program and skill to photoshop the decal so the M O N O letters can be curved like the original decal, let us know if you're willing to give it a shot and I'll provide a better squared off clear pic to work with if that one above is not ideal.

Clint's perfect size decal arrived to pretty much finish this one off. Clear coated the original recoil decal last weekend. Just needs some yellow touch up paint here and there.

The only thing I might do is change the bar size as the one on the "clothes iron" style Comet saw looks a bit out of proportion with a longer bar. That one was restored and painted a while back so it'll be an easy swap. The longer bar shouldn't really change the look of this one.

IMG_0597.JPG.dde77c53d000d0fa8cf76d2c8efbffe6.JPG

IMG_0598.JPG.30e5a9e847526889990418937abd345d.JPG

Nothing.

I have another saw that doesn't look right with a 2" longer bar so this shorter one will look better on that saw. The longer bar is just as nice and shouldn't look out of proportion on this type of saw so maybe swap them. Not a big deal but since they're already here... as I wouldn't specifically look for bars to do it.

I'll post some pics of all the saws since having nice one's now after getting a couple done. Still have a Jim Savage saw (Green) and a Lancaster mini twelve (Black) but they're basically Mustang saws in different color paint. Oh, and have a yellow Mustang too.

Not that I don't like them, just don't put them near the top of the O&R list of collectable tools. And for someone that isn't a chainsaw collector, somehow there's about 15 or so out there including the Homelite stuff. I'm not a generator collector either but think there's about 10 of those too.