CNew

Ohlsson & Rice: Cut-away Engine

I’ve been hoping for a long time I would find one of these and after months of constant searching I finally hit gold.  Wish it had the cut-away gear box too but I’m thrilled just to have the engine. It needs a recoil spring and pull rope to complete it and of course a thorough cleaning. I’ll have to come up with a cool display stand as well.  It’ll look cool with the recent brochure that also shows this engine.

1BDA6548-32A9-40FA-B5F6-DC0D42180694.jpeg

F7700BCE-9E2E-484B-B5A2-A2FF393C878C.jpeg

AD27756A-9091-4CD7-9366-86080FFB5099.jpeg

8D53F3A3-E512-4314-9CD5-42EF25A44A08.jpeg

AA527966-3649-4F9D-AD4F-5883ED4D23A7.jpeg

10 hours ago, JUST O&R said:

Cool engine does it run ok or need a little work:yankchain:

It won't start, compression is terrible, gas leaking everywhere...... :yankchain:

21 hours ago, CNew said:

I’ve been hoping for a long time I would find one of these and after months of constant searching I finally hit gold.  Wish it had the cut-away gear box too but I’m thrilled just to have the engine. It needs a recoil spring and pull rope to complete it and of course a thorough cleaning.

Very nice engine @CNew, I still haven't got one & have been collecting O&R's for years, looks like all the starter parts are missing not just the spring & cord, needs a reel too.

Neither of the other two have a gearbox either, maybe it was a one-off for the brochure.

David

Yep, needs the reel but I have an extra so that’s covered. 

I had forgotten about the other posting on here for the cutaway engine. That’s actually the one that got me spun up and hunting for one!

I just scrounged through some parts and found most of what I need to get the starter in display-ready condition.

AEA454F6-9442-4CA8-94F5-5AF24F0E1087.jpeg

Wow, that's doubled the amount of them we know of, the one in the Norwegian Technical Museum is a 0.85HP version with metal caged bearings, but the separate gearbox (on it's own) has the older plastic caged bearings, I suspect they couldn't use the newer wire caged bearings as they would fall out.

Clint, check that your starter has the groove for that retaining ring.

David

4 hours ago, factory said:

Clint, check that your starter has the groove for that retaining ring.

Good eye David, this engine doesn’t have the groove for the retaining ring.

3 hours ago, factory said:

@CNew Do these cut-away engines still have a serial number or is it just blank? Obviously no model number as that side has been cut-off.

I couldn’t find any serial or model numbers anywhere on the engine.

Here’s the cut-away engine after a minimally invasive cleanup job and installation of a recoil starter reel, spring, rope and knob. I’m almost 100% sure I want to display it on this gas tank but I’m still contemplating it just a little bit. I will probably do a bit more thorough cleaning later. Still debating also making a cut-away gear box to go with it.  (I’ll fix the rope knot too, got excited to take photos before realizing I didn’t finish the knob)

92569328-A999-47C2-9854-1ACA26A63F20.jpeg

1BAAE301-DF55-4341-A398-471FFA995BC3.jpeg

8563B36D-D051-4D5C-A014-0CDFF3556240.jpeg

95E93AB2-C14E-4A6F-AE87-2152C1A828B9.jpeg

On 3/24/2020 at 3:51 AM, CNew said:

Here’s the cut-away engine after a minimally invasive cleanup job and installation of a recoil starter reel, spring, rope and knob. I’m almost 100% sure I want to display it on this gas tank but I’m still contemplating it just a little bit. I will probably do a bit more thorough cleaning later.

I'm not sure about the tank as it hides some of the cut-away parts, plus there is nowhere for the condenser to attach.

On 3/24/2020 at 1:56 PM, CNew said:

they definitely don’t seem to come up very often.

Your not kidding, first one we've seen for a very long time.

David

5 hours ago, factory said:

I'm not sure about the tank as it hides some of the cut-away parts, plus there is nowhere for the condenser to attach.

Yep, that is my one hang-up as well. It doesn’t cover up visibility to the parts too badly but a little. If I do end up using this tank I’ll just attach the condenser to the recoil cover at the 9 or 10 o’clock position. I’ve seen several engines set up with the condenser attached at this location, like this Tiny Tiger.  I might just use the tank temporarily since it does make for a nice convenient way to display it and keep it from falling over or getting damaged. I can then work on making a nicer display with a custom bracket later.

28540B1F-9AB6-4026-B9A8-44296232F7E4.jpeg

0EC8E704-5483-4FB2-8904-934B5159DE8F.jpeg

Maybe you could make something like this test stand I made a few years ago, it never actually got used for testing anything as it quickly turned into a permanent display stand for this engine, going to need to make another eventually.

SAM_7727a.jpg.5f7f6e4e98c66a3f678f28f2596ef4ab.jpg

By the way I noticed your sectioned engine is missing something, some filter foam for the air cleaner.

Also I had a thought overnight having remembered seeing a sectioned engine being slowly driven at a local engine show (many years ago), a slow low voltage DC motor (3-4 RPM) could be used for this.

David

Good ideas David. I’ve been contemplating some sort of display stand like that. Part of the challenge is the engine mount tab has been cut away from one side of the engine. I don’t really like the idea of suspending it with all the weight on one side without some sort of secondary bracket that makes contact with the bottom or some other part on the engine to give it some more stability. 

my engine is currently stuck so I’ll have to take it all apart as some point to free up the piston if I wanted to demonstrate movement of al the parts.

1 hour ago, Webhead said:

David, that looks like one of the earliest engines. Could it be?

Yes it is, I've been meaning to add a thread about it but never got round to it, should have time now.

50 minutes ago, CNew said:

I don’t really like the idea of suspending it with all the weight on one side without some sort of secondary bracket that makes contact with the bottom or some other part on the engine to give it some more stability. 

It will be fine, the engine on that display stand is only attached on one side (some tools are too, such as one of my hedge trimmers) and it's been to engine shows on the stand.

That engine was also stuck when I got it, the oil in the bearings had turned to varnish.

David

Yep, this is a nice one. I kind of like the C-shaped bracket, it’s a nice clean touch.  I need Terry to work his magic for me...

I have a couple nice 3/8” base plates already laser cut, just need the bracket and to mount some nice rubber feet/pads, kind of like that model 227 I did a few months back.

I’ve done a lot of hacksaw work too and will have some yet to do. The laser cut bases were something I stumbled onto at a local metal supply shop when I was in MInnesota.

Started tinkering with an idea for a stand this afternoon. If I go this route I’ll need to cut the mount, drill and tap, add some small rubber feet to the base, etc. With this setup I could make it adjustable as well and the suspended height will also be ready for a cut-away gearbox some day.  I stuck an old engine on there to sort of get a visual. Of course when it’s mounted to the bar it’ll hand about 2” lower.

7F094907-105C-4741-BE8B-C16E9FB9E475.jpeg

CEF8D30B-66A8-4A68-BD99-56E2067B0D5F.jpeg