CNew

Ohlsson & Rice: Lancaster 15SLA Chainsaw

Landed a pretty cool Lancaster 15SLA chainsaw. Just opened it up tonight so I haven’t been able to dig into it in great detail yet. After a quick wipe down and initial scan it looks like the carburetor needs a complete overhaul. It had been removed and dismantled. Unfortunately it is the style with the little rubber plunger arm and that is missing:banghead: It’s also missing the carb lever arm spring. Looks like the throttle cable is also broken where it goes into the handle, I won’t know the extent of it until I open it up. Other than those obvious issues and a couple misc. screws it looks to be in really nice shape, the paint is nice and bright and only worn in a few places.

The starter pull handle is also kind of neat. It resembles the 13B handle but has a much nicer taper and is smaller. At first I thought someone might have put a 13B handle on there in place of the little wooden ball but I’m convinced this is the original handle. I saw another chainsaw like this online that had the same style handle as mine.  The air cleaner is also kind of neat and attaches with a 90 rubber elbow/boot.

6459439E-F0FA-4FE8-8E30-EA0A0811F982.jpeg

4C7E306F-D21C-48D0-9429-3AED6FB50287.jpeg

8149D3BD-14C1-4ACA-8D4B-946C0143FE03.jpeg

8361A3E2-91BA-44D2-A66F-3ACE726E4087.jpeg

I have a restored one, but that's the nicest original that I've ever seen. But you should see my other  Lancaster...

There is not a wooden ball on these.

I’ll do a search.  Thank you for the heads-up on the throttle cable. I’ll take a look at it tomorrow and see if it’s salvageable but it looked like it was snapped off.  I’ll let you know, happy to buy one from you.

Nice saw :thumbs: I guess you have your work cut out for the next year with all the projects you have.

( can't find anything out there someone is snatching them up):angry:

9 hours ago, CNew said:

Unfortunately it is the style with the little rubber plunger arm and that is missing

Another nice find! :thumbs:

If you're up for a challenge concerning the rubber check valve on the carb arm? Float valves for some carbs use a small rubber tip to seal the valve and that rubber tip could be used to make one. It's something I never got around to attempting. 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Carburetor-Carb-Repair-Overhaul-Rebuild-Kit-For-Kohler-K301-K321-K482-K532-K331/282203275943?hash=item41b4a042a7:g:l~oAAOSwzaJX8Wf9

2075896589_Kohlercarb.jpg.eb94530289e17ccf9802d78472ca3723.jpg

1 hour ago, Wallfish said:

If you're up for a challenge concerning the rubber check valve on the carb arm? Float valves for some carbs use a small rubber tip to seal the valve and that rubber tip could be used to make one.

I’ve probably got a couple of those tip seals laying around from all my Kohler K241 and K90 rebuilds.... hard part is cutting it to size and somehow attaching it Tom the little lever arm, not sure if glue could take the abuse.

Just now, Webhead said:

Or change out the bottom half to a ball type...

Exactly, that’s likely what I will do in this case.

I am curious to tinker with some ideas like John proposed just to see if we can find something that will work.

2 hours ago, JUST O&R said:

Nice saw :thumbs: I guess you have your work cut out for the next year with all the projects you have.

( can't find anything out there someone is snatching them up):angry:

Yes, I do have my work cut out! I’ll send a few links your way as I stumble across stuff.

8 minutes ago, Webhead said:

That’s a beautiful restoration!  I have a version like that one but I haven’t gotten around to cleaning it up yet. It’s definitely a little easier for finding some of the non engine parts since they’re the same as the Orline Mustang saws.

That’s awesome, we will likely never see another one that is NOS like that! Can’t believe you also have the box and paperwork, very cool!

Mine is the later version with the Series 13B engine.

SAM_7150a.jpg.a363a25466b5d19b2f39a32bce5d28ce.jpg

The air cleaner uses a clip to hold it in place on this one, note the condition of the tank, corrosion caused by lazy user not cleaning the chippings after use, tree sap is acidic.

SAM_7087a.jpg.2e8e8ae801ee584c2258b06b8029c22a.jpg

David

On 3/21/2020 at 2:06 AM, CNew said:

The starter pull handle is also kind of neat. It resembles the 13B handle but has a much nicer taper and is smaller. At first I thought someone might have put a 13B handle on there in place of the little wooden ball but I’m convinced this is the original handle.

I'm sure I've seen a tapered handle like that somewhere in the O&R literature, also the standard 13B style one shown in the parts diagrams for some engines.

394488923_OhlssonRiceType253EngineDiagramPartsListJan71Page3a.jpg.5b55f83ba421146dc93d0a6cb89d1242.jpg

David

1 hour ago, factory said:

I'm sure I've seen a tapered handle like that somewhere in the O&R literature, also the standard 13B style one shown in the parts diagrams for some engines.

394488923_OhlssonRiceType253EngineDiagramPartsListJan71Page3a.jpg.5b55f83ba421146dc93d0a6cb89d1242.jpg

David

Good timing on the parts diagram. I need to find parts 18, 19 and 20 for my other saw project. I’m probably just going to grab a NOS toggle switch that looks the same.

2 hours ago, factory said:

Cool!  I have a very incomplete one of these with the 13B. It’s it horrible shape and is all eaten up like that from acid and it’s really corroded. Looks to have lived most of its life outside in the rain half buried in mud.  It’s interesting on my newest 15SLA the air cleaner has a rubber 90 degree elbow that attaches in the hole and then fits over the throat of the carb, kind of like a spark plug boot. Looks original and the mounting hole in the air cleaner end isn’t large enough to fit over the carb like this design on the 13B version.

29 minutes ago, CNew said:

I need to find parts 18, 19 and 20 for my other saw project.

search chainsaw switch on epay. They are a common chainsaw switch. Single pole to ground.

On 3/21/2020 at 9:03 AM, CNew said:

That’s a beautiful restoration!  I have a version like that one but I haven’t gotten around to cleaning it up yet. It’s definitely a little easier for finding some of the non engine parts since they’re the same as the Orline Mustang saws.

Not a good picture, but here is one part of the Mustang saw you're better off without.  The Orline handle assembly really is a mess.  It seems the Lancaster and Mono saw handle assemblies and oiler mechanisms "hang" the motor from topside and leave the bottom open making it much easier assemble or repair.  I'm looking for one of them for the next project.

IMG_0772.jpg

On 3/20/2020 at 8:29 PM, Webhead said:

Search Lancaster Mini Twelve. I have some throttle cables if need. 

Picked up another Lancaster that might need a cable if you still have any with the black sheath.  

On 3/22/2020 at 2:17 PM, factory said:

Mine is the later version with the Series 13B engine.

SAM_7150a.jpg.a363a25466b5d19b2f39a32bce5d28ce.jpg

The air cleaner uses a clip to hold it in place on this one, note the condition of the tank, corrosion caused by lazy user not cleaning the chippings after use, tree sap is acidic.

David

Picked up another Lancaster like yours David.  Super dirty but should clean up pretty well. It was missing the air filter but fortunate I have one from an earlier junker saw that I got a long time ago. It’s also missing the wire to the toggle switch but that’s an easy fix.

5BB51AF2-C1E9-44E6-A866-E8AB4AB86F7E.jpeg

77079801-759F-4DC8-89AF-6A628244A52E.jpeg

89EC38EA-39A9-4835-BB83-64E4B19D5F45.jpeg

06C69005-F5A4-4DD2-82CD-A7B3331EEA1C.jpeg

That looks in nice condition, hopefully will clean up well, nice to see the slightly different branding on the sticker too.

David