Fishnuts2

Orline Mustang 13B Project

As long as we are to pretty much stay at home, I thought it would be a good time for a build thread on my Orline 13B.  I've been tinkering with it since January, and finally got it running well, with a special Thanks for all the tips and advice from this forum.

Here is how it looked when I brought it home, and after getting it cleaned up.

Sand Cast Poulan.jpg

IMG_0777.jpg

I first obtained a diaphragm kit for the carb and got that rebuilt, but found that I had to use an ultrasonic cleaner to get the minute passages clear, so the carb was torn apart many times.  The fuel tank filter was also plugged and to change it required splitting the tank.  The whole saw is designed around the fuel tank, by the way, which means everything in the proper order must be removed to get at it.  I reassembled the fuel tank with a new line and filter, but the old gasket in there leaked like a sieve.  So, I found a complete tank on eBay and painted it and assembled the saw, only to find out the oiler piston was seized!  Rather than splitting this tank, I tried using a bar nose grease tool and shooting grease in reverse from the bar outlet.  A lot of pressure can be generated, and most of it blew out the tank gasket by the oiler assembly!

IMG_0793.jpg.06f2a0385afac8a4786b8fc37ca41874.jpg

Edited by Fishnuts2
too many pics

So had to split this tank, and had quite a time getting the piston out of the oiler bore.  Someone must have used varnish instead of bar oil in this thing.  Put a new filter and internal line on this one too, after the picture.  You can see where the grease escaped the cavity here too.

I used Yamabond and cleaned the surfaces with acetone before assembly.  It seems to hold this time thankfully.

IMG_0794.jpg

IMG_0795.jpg

Next step was to track down the no spark issue, which led to a pinched wire under the flywheel housing.  Repaired it with liquid electrical tape and cleaned and reset the points.  Actually, a couple of times, since I put the points plunger in backwards!

When checking the flywheel side seal I noticed the original didn't seal to either the crankshaft, or the outside of the retainer.  A bearing and hydraulic repair shop had an O-ring that seems to do the job.

IMG_0765.jpg

IMG_0786.jpg

Edited by Fishnuts2

Easily, the worst part of this whole saw is the process you have to go through to access even simple things that are in view!  And some fasteners are really hard to get at.  This shows a straight blade screwdriver in a Phillips head screw just to get it started most of the way.  UGH!

IMG_0787.jpg

So, after figuring all this out and obtaining a nice spark, I had to decrease the points gap to about .018", because it seemed like it wanted to start, but just couldn't take off and run.  Basically advancing the timing got it to run quite well.  Next, was finishing the paint for the rest of the parts, and sharpen the 3/8's chain.

Off to the wood pile for some cuts and pictures.

IMG_0833.jpg

IMG_0834.jpg

IMG_0835.jpg

Now my saw buddy wants me to get his little Sears Mighty Lite going for him.  Told him that I might in a year or two!  The Mono saw design looks a whole lot better to me from a maintenance and repair standpoint.

Absolutely!

I go to a lot of chainsaw meets and had never seen or heard one of these run, other than on YouTube.  It's cleaned up and drained for hopefully a saw meet later this Summer, so I have a video that I play just to hear it run.

I started this hobby as a chainsaw collector, mostly Homelite, as it seems like you did. Then I discovered these mini saws and other attachments, realizing that I could fit more of these in to a smaller space! When I got my first one running and heard that cool airplane sound, it was all over. I still have a few pristine Homelites, though.

That turned out fantastic, very nice refresh!  I have one of those saws and it also needs a complete overhaul amen cleaning.  It’s always inspiring to see these projects.

Just remember, the worst part of the saw is the oiler setup.  It depends on an 8" rod in the top portion of the handle into the tank, and to get it apart you have to remove the gearbox, carb, and fan/flywheel cover.  You can take it apart, but you'll never get it back together unless all those other parts are out of the way.  The rod and associated parts are spring loaded in the handle and things can go flying sometimes.   That's why I think the Mono design is a lot better to work on.

NICE JOB on the saw!

Fishnuts2 discovered the process for 90% of O&R tools. They all have fastners which are difficult to get to and how parts need to be removed to get to others. Make tools to work to get to them.

Trust me, that chainsaw is easier compared to some others but also more difficult than some. But once you go through a couple it gets easier. Just wait until you get to that recoil on the Sears for the first one. Please don't smash it with a BFH. LoL

Making your own gaskets and seals is a big part of this hobby. @Webhead Joe told me when I first started, "you have to be resourceful if you get into this hobby and collect them". Absolutely true

42 minutes ago, Wallfish said:

Joe told me when I first started, "you have to be resourceful if you get into this hobby and collect them". Absolutely true

And I will second that. and they will get easier as time goes on but harder when you need parts.

Yeah, I know about hard to find parts and gaskets.  But that is the challenge for stuff like this. That 57 yr. old saw in the first picture is a hoot to run too, and I have 3 others of the same series. Any of this old, odd stuff is quite interesting to me. 

On 3/21/2020 at 2:48 PM, Fishnuts2 said:

As long as we are to pretty much stay at home

I must be the only one on here still working, can't see that changing anytime soon as I work repairing train parts.

That's a very nicely restored Orline chainsaw. :thumbs:

You've found out the problem with the tank seals, the manual mentions that used tank seals shrink once exposed to air, if anyone finds some new-old-stock it would be a good idea to use them to have some more made (there are a couple of different ones depending on the age of the chainsaw).

2012321701_OhlssonRiceChainSawServiceNotetankseal.jpg.35a00f6c257e0558a4030cdd0e7d4f10.jpg

David

3 minutes ago, factory said:

I must be the only one on here still working, can't see that changing anytime soon as I work repairing train parts.

I’m still working too. So far it’s been business as usual where I am even though it seems like stuff is shutting down all around the area. I’m still going to the office every day...

17 minutes ago, CNew said:

I’m still working too. So far it’s been business as usual where I am even though it seems like stuff is shutting down all around the area. I’m still going to the office every day...

I’m retired, but drive a shuttle 11 hrs. weekly for a car dealership here. But that could change instantly.  It’s for a good cause, my saw and toy money!

It's certainly getting quieter on the roads at rush hour, very little open in the UK too apart from essential shops & services.

David

Still work for me too. As long as they haven't shut me down it's has to be a go. Hopefully we can finish this week at minimum but get the feeling it's getting close as many other states are locking down.

I just peck away at it on weekends and nights but running out of the small stuff to do like chainsaws. Got started on the paint for a winch. Soon the bigger stuff like hedge trimmers and outboards will be the only thing left to do. Really been enjoying to get back at them again after a long hiatus of not touching them. It's here on the forum that motivates me by seeing what others are doing. Not so much just to keep up with the Jones" but more to share the experiences of restoring and repairing them. It's more fun to get involved. Plus bust'n on Terry is fun too! Did ya see that funny crap he did with the wires for a glow plug? I was LMAO.

53 minutes ago, factory said:

I'm covered up every one is at home so nothing to do but cut the grass> Phone ringing off the hook.

I when to the shop today to get (this months ) project going

7 minutes ago, Wallfish said:

Plus bust'n on Terry is fun too! Did ya see that funny crap he did with the wires for a glow plug? I was LMAO.

Can't help thinking he could have saved it for Apr 1st. :yankchain:

David

1 hour ago, Wallfish said:

Really been enjoying to get back at them again after a long hiatus of not touching them. It's here on the forum that motivates me by seeing what others are doing. Not so much just to keep up with the Jones" but more to share the experiences of restoring and repairing them. It's more fun to get involved.

Amen to that!  This forum is a blast and I look forward to checking it out daily, hourly sometimes, to see what everyone is working on and who has found a cool engine or tool. The friends and experiences are what it’s all about! It’s been fun having you back in action too! Fun to also see a few others like Fishnuts joining the fun...

On 3/22/2020 at 10:11 PM, JUST O&R said:

IM not sure we will make it tell april

went to the store today like a ghost town here :ph34r:

Complete opposite here in the UK, massive queues to get food in some places & too many people close together. :banghead:

I'm now off work till Easter, someone finally had sense & closed work as distancing just wasn't working in most areas, plus passenger train parts must no longer be key work. :dunno:

On 3/22/2020 at 11:32 PM, CNew said:

This forum is a blast and I look forward to checking it out daily, hourly sometimes

That was impossible for me, work don't like people looking on their phones, plus many cameras are now watching & being used against us. :(

David

4 hours ago, factory said:

That was impossible for me, work don't like people looking on their phones, plus many cameras are now watching & being used against us. :(

Yep, same here but in the evenings and on the weekends it’s hard to stay away from checking in on you guys!