CNew

Ohlsson & Rice: J Model?

Curious, looking for opinions - is there anything particularly desirable or special about the 3/4 hp “J” model engine with gear box? Just trying to understand what might a reasonable price and if this model could/should command a higher price for any reason.

11 minutes ago, CNew said:

is there anything particularly desirable or special about the 3/4 hp “J” model engine with gear box?

Not for me but I don't even know what it is. Never paid much attention to the different models of engines. BUT, it's sure worth more if ya need one!

I'm gett'n the feeling you're looking for something to cut up for that cut-away engine

Ha... not exactly. I might have a line one and just trying to see what seems reasonable for it. It looks a bit rough and in need of some major TLC like most of these. It has the larger gear box than say a typical chainsaw, maybe for a mini bike application or something???  I’m tempted...

That's like the same gearbox on the snow blower. It has that extra little shaft and gear on the front.

If it has a 1/2 inch shaft on there I can use one. Never noticed the taper on those gearbox shafts are different than the engine taper is and lost the one for my current winch project. The gearbox shaft has a longer taper

4 minutes ago, Wallfish said:

That's like the same gearbox on the snow blower. It has that extra little shaft and gear on the front.

If it has a 1/2 inch shaft on there I can use one. Never noticed the taper on those gearbox shafts are different than the engine taper is and lost the one for my current winch project. The gearbox shaft has a longer taper

I thought it looked familiar. Photos aren’t great so I can’t tell much about shafts and stuff. It’s missing the gas tank.

What size shaft do you need, lengthwise? I’ll look through my stuff, not sure I have one but I can check.

It's just like an everyday regular 1/2" engine shaft adapter but the taper inside is different. If it fits perfect on an engine then it's not the right one.

I'll get some pics

I guess those 1/2" shafts are the same. It just seemed like it was hitting the gearbox box it works. The taper is just longer on the gearbox shaft which I'm guessing is just more surface area contact.

The Model J seems to be one of the more common gearbox models found, PTO output is 900 RPM.

It's definitely used on the Halicki Skateboard/Toby Cart, the 1964 DIY Tom Thumb scooter/mini-bike project and possibly the early Petro mini-bike (can anyone confirm).

Sorry if listing those has just up the selling price for the Model J. :hide:

David

Thanks David, that’s good to know. I haven’t decided yet on the J engine, price might just be a bit too high right now. I don’t think the guy will come down much more in it.

Clint just buy it you need something to do:yankchain: haven't been here much work when nuts everyone wants to cut there grass

because there is a stay home order we are considered an essential business so they can get there mowers fixed.

Yep, this has to be a busy time for you normally but I can imagine the bump in insanity now that people are at home and can focus on their yards... it’s good your business is doing well!

JustO&R- Yep, this has to be a busy time for you normally but I can imagine the bump in insanity now that people are at home and can focus on their yards... it’s good your business is doing well!

FYI- I’m going to pass on the J motor I found but if anyone else is interested just let me know and I’ll point you to it. The price isn’t too bad really, I just have some other priorities right now. Wallfish- it’s up in your neck of the woods...

On 3/28/2020 at 11:02 AM, CNew said:

Wallfish- it’s up in your neck of the woods...

send me the info

BTW model J gearbox is also used on the Bejay winch

You mean this one, it was just delivered about 30 minutes ago:D  

Unfortunately it did not come with a tank mounting bracket or air cleaner. Otherwise it is fresh NOS.

Also found the warranty card and operation pages hidden away in the box.  The engine itself was wrapped in the comics section of the newspaper dated Dec 1959.

33EA43AB-DEC9-46ED-995D-1A4F83D3D841.jpeg

7AF6F97D-0BB9-41FC-A011-2054785C4141.jpeg

525D22FD-CF0A-4CBD-AA73-33203C634CD1.jpeg

FEE3508F-896B-4BF3-9376-68579A3552D4.jpeg

A10A3FB2-E4BD-4730-A5DF-004AAE9D0990.jpeg

BE8DBC8C-7B50-4721-A7D5-1BC3915270F8.jpeg

Another nice find! The box appears it's in great condition. Kind of easy to date that one huh?.

Some curious things on there.

Is that a label on the recoil cover?

Don't remember ever seeing 2 holes in a tank cap before.

Washers on the gearbox cover? Wonder if someone tried mounting it for something but it didn't work out. The pan head screws instead of fillister heads is different too.

525D22FD-CF0A-4CBD-AA73-33203C634CD1.jpeg.3f55215ab56e8281974dd5b283197889.jpeg.471d548603ae5f330e824e875d3c361d.jpeg

I’ll try to get a better photo of the label thing. It doesn’t look like a label and it is rough almost like the fuzzy side of Velcro.

8 hours ago, Wallfish said:

Kind of easy to date that one huh?.

Well it can't be earlier than August 1960 as the gearbox models weren't available then (plus no mention of Ultra before Compact anywhere), I suspect the original purchaser/owner re-packed it with that newspaper.

All the paperwork should have dates in the bottom left corner too, like this from the August 1961 engine price list.

214016658_OhlssonRiceCompactEnginesPriceListAug61Page1e1.jpg.7732471fb9c1702d2277ca367a6da80d.jpg

David

9 hours ago, Wallfish said:

The pan head screws instead of fillister heads is different too.

I've seen three pan head screws* fitted to several Model J engines and my Model F engine, they are shorter so they don't stick out above the four mounting points, for when the gearbox is attached to a metal plate.

SAM_5413a.jpg.ac01f5e8ebedce63ac78d3201b1ffa66.jpg

*Part no #26-47, three fitted according to the parts list.

David

I’m tempted to display this engine instead of keeping it all boxed up. I’ll keep the box behind it as part of the package.  I was able to locate a nice air cleaner in my stash as well as a tank bracket and I cut a thick paper gasket for the tank bracket using an old one as a pattern.  I’ll need to make another display stand or just use the one I recently put together as an engine test stand.