Wallfish

BEJAY winch

Got this one painted in record time.:hide: 5 years 2 months plus. Woo Hoo! Started on this project way back in Jan of 2015 and the engine is the one from the rebuild pics thread. The coil was recently changed back to an old school version since that's what was originally on the engine. Finally it's close enough to see the light at the end of the tunnel after pecking away at it for an hour or 2 at a time over the last couple weeks. This is too cool and rare of a piece to be left sitting in pieces out in a forgotten box. Not sure what I was think'n.

Still need to paint the tank , touch up quite a few spots damaged on the yellow, figure out a decal and it appears there should be a chain guard on the front because of holes in the one on it, so maybe that too. Still not sure about winding on the cable or not. It's kind of heavy without it and there's no handle to carry it. All that cable is pretty heavy just on it's own. Seems it was designed to just be mounted and not so much portable. :dunno:

That Rustoleum paint seems like it never hardens so it's a PITA not scrape up during assembly.

Started with this and now up to that.

428241459_BeJaywinch.jpg.67c4d4b3d3806f3fb98c3877ddf14337.jpg

IMG_0537.JPG.331ff74e25ab445d9f7ce75330cad1fa.JPG

IMG_0538.JPG.17ead7ac7bc7d4cb57af12e7bbe96659.JPG

Ohhh man that’s looking nice!  You’re right, that is one of the coolest O&R tools. I’ve never seen another one. I saw a different style winch one time but nothing like this Bejay.

13 hours ago, Wallfish said:

Still need to paint the tank , touch up quite a few spots damaged on the yellow, figure out a decal and it appears there should be a chain guard on the front because of holes in the one on it

Well I seem to have two sets of pictures for this winch (it got sold twice on ePay), spot the difference!!

e1a.jpg.f5bba05898c93c568b478b11a4455c3f.jpgy1a.jpg.2fca5066e6590d73e8ee868a54c25f38.jpg

I wonder what happened to the small chain guard?

e2a.jpg.6d871f98f3f743c6dee614053920d9d0.jpg

And what happened to the decal?

e8a.jpg.3ced605bb0680ceefbe388e2f8eec48d.jpg

y5a.jpg.25a25275f0312f522a1f61564ada4588.jpg

David

P.S. it made slightly less the second time it sold.

14 hours ago, Wallfish said:

Seems it was designed to just be mounted and not so much portable.

Look familiar?

1786276209_196307-DesertMagazine-1963-JulyBejayWinch.jpg.a2941689bbd57f4e645c8196a4cfaadb.jpg

Can't help thinking the tank needs rotating 90 degrees if it's permanently attached to a truck as shown above, also notice who sold it.

David

P.S. There are about 12 editions of Desert magazine from between 1961 & 1963 with O&R powered products, I need to get links added to the sticky thread as PDF's are available for all of them.

Nice unit!!! That would be a nice one to run up on. don't think I have seen one up for sale but if john wants to

sell that one for the advertised price of 169.50 I may be nice and pay for shipping too.:D

5 hours ago, JUST O&R said:

if john wants to sell that one for the advertised price of 169.50

For the decal? Price just went up knowing it's a Petro power product. :)

It drove me nuts trying to figure out the little stop lever pieces and how it worked with the circle spring. It's been 5 years since removing it so it was a puzzle.  The problem was the way the cable spools on to the drum. Typically it would pull and feed the cable from the bottom of the drum as that's closer to the mounting point which would keep the unit from tipping forward during pulling. Messed with that thing on and off forever but it always worked backwards. Finally realized the cable direction onto the drum has to be from the top, which is verified in that ad pic. Mounted vertical like that would be the best way pulling with the cable feeding from the top of the drum. Seems strange it's designed to be mounted vertical but the tank is not rotated as David mentioned :dunno:

20 hours ago, Wallfish said:

Got this one painted in record time.:hide: 5 years 2 months

your still not as slow as I am it took me about 30 years . so smile your doing good .:bow:

On 3/28/2020 at 10:26 AM, factory said:

P.S. it made slightly less the second time it sold.

Can you tell us what I paid for it? Memory is not my specialty anymore and have no idea what is was.

For a guess, around $250.00 ?

It made approx $233 the first time it sold & $225 from the second seller (a couple of months later), add the shipping costs to that.

David

I did good! It's certainly worth more now.  Which is a nice change. Usually it's put a bunch of hours, parts and materials into something and it's still worth about the same or even less then when ya started.

Those other 2 O&R vultures would've been all over that at $225

Thanks David

Clint I think we are more birds of prey not vultures. I think his wires are crossed just like the glow plug wiring .

Still working on that can't seem to make that work.

Birds of prey, Ha! Funny how my post didn't mention ANY names but you guys know exactly who was meant. VULCTURES! :poke:

BTW, does anyone know what the O&R decal bird is actually supposed to be? An Albatross or something?

A new decal was made but I couldn't simulate those angled letters very well. The new decal looked alright but in the end decided to just keep the damaged original. Again, it took a while to clean off all of the stuck paint from it but...

IMG_0562.JPG.6fe1ffbd3872c3758719e75ed4e30076.JPG

I think in this case the original decal is the way to go, it’s not damaged that badly and it maintains some of the original elements and character of the unit.  Looks cool!

I claim Vulture #2, JustO&R can be Vulture #1... I feel like I just entered a warped version of a Dr Seuss classic...

1 hour ago, Wallfish said:

A new decal was made but I couldn't simulate those angled letters very well. The new decal looked alright but in the end decided to just keep the damaged original. Again, it took a while to clean off all of the stuck paint from it but...

looks great Its only missing the corner. Did you decide to put the cable back on.

I would give you the 165.50 but it looks like a may need to sell  a few of the one I have pm me if

there's any you might be interested in.

19 minutes ago, JUST O&R said:

Did you decide to put the cable back on.

Maybe use something as filler and just wind on a shorter 25 ft cable so it appears like it's full. I have the 350 ft cable but haven't really decided. I might make some sort of handle so it can more easily be carried and then the full cable would probably go on.

3 minutes ago, CNew said:

Is this for sale?

No. That crazy hillbilly was gonna give me $165 just for the decal but I felt bad taking advantage of him,  so it went back on the winch. :D

He was mess'n with me earlier about it if you read back

No I'm going to sell a few of the one I have thing are not good here.

I'm open to offers on what I have.there's two that are not for sale

9 minutes ago, Webhead said:

I'll take the generator that you just bought....I have a Creme, but it's just not quite as nice. 

pm me