Wallfish

Creme Lure Generator refresh

Next up for a refresh is this Creme Lure Power Pack Model C. Never had one of these apart before so the generator end should be interesting. At least the plastic tank is in very good shape so it's well worth the effort to make this one nice again.

Just waiting on some small stuff for the other projects to get 100% completed

IMG_0563.JPG.e3f549fcbc79fda273dea23f29f3b4e2.JPG

IMG_0564.JPG.fee1086b6812376a8aff5caceffd6c7c.JPG

IMG_0565.JPG.c9bf131cc5cb353c83c745290cbbe19c.JPG

Very cool, that’s going to be a great project! Take lots of photos for documentation along the way...

Will do. Probably a good idea for this one and document some findings for the next guy

Serial nunmberIMG_0566.JPG.fdfcb9f5d192322b713c9d754c99b561.JPG

Someone has been in here before. Yellow wire not connected So I'll need guidance how to rewire it correctly. I don't know what you call that little "pod" which needs to be connected but I'm assuming it gets connected along with that yellow ground NEG wire

IMG_0567.JPG.af0e7f2fc179bece699656ce337893ce.JPG

The wires in there are very short but enough to work on. Remove the 3 Knob screws holding the 6 12 and neg wires. Also remove the screws for the little switch. BE VERY CAREFUL with the wires to get enough room to get to that screw on the back of the AC power outlet. Removing that screw will allow the guts to come out the back so the cover can be completely removed

IMG_0570.JPG.61dc2563a37ecb86a598a9d90b4a040b.JPG

IMG_0571.JPG.3ff01c8d3415e1dede79d819258584b9.JPG

IMG_0572.JPG.6704cb99fb0b79a6b6be8cf223843ee4.JPG

I was kinda perplexed on how this thing was totally attached to the tank base. Surely it couldn't just be those 3 hex head bolts at the generator head into plastic. Finally just removed them to see where else it would hold but sure enough, it was only those 3 bolts.

IMG_0574.JPG.d9507b1b2b4faa59a2085e8ccb4c2936.JPG

IMG_0575.JPG.a9649de727febf0ef10bcd0170b2207a.JPG

Those hex bolts can be accessed and removed without any disassembly of the generator head.That would certainly be easier if you don't have to clean and service the generator but highly unlikely it's going to be clean in there if it looks anything like dirt around this one.

Before separating the gen head from the engine, pull out the wire going from the battery holder to the points. Self explanatory how to separate the gen head from the engine.

Here's something pretty unique. It runs on a clutch and it seems like a proprietary clutch at that. Certainly makes for ease of assembly and easier to start the engine.

IMG_0576.JPG.2d5d52483d8b903efb3e35709c4d4bf8.JPG

IMG_0577.JPG.aaa8975ed9ec85394c2a56a3d778b5cd.JPG

Unfortunately there will be some cracked and broken plastic to repair around the generator head. Not a big deal since I'll just send it down to Terry to fix so I can sit here and sip on cocktails until he gets it done in a couple of days. The tank looks good except for the loose fuel pick up inside. Not sure how the hec I'm gonna tackle that yet.

IMG_0579.JPG.e472a931e8717eb8df4631555307051a.JPG

IMG_0580.JPG.8e9eec9681e3f15e381277b845027962.JPG

IMG_0581.JPG.d6705a9f5d66b682347eff7b6e84828f.JPG

Wow, you’ve really jumped in there and gone to town on this one. Fun to see this thing coming apart and all the things you’re discovering. Thanks for all the pictures! Bummer on that hex getting jammed in there, I don’t think I have any helpful suggestions just yet... hmmm

I'm gonna pick at it and try to get it out but already get'n frustrated.

Might try grinding in a slot with a dremel tool and if that doesn't work, weld a nut to the bolt and use that to get it loose

19 minutes ago, Wallfish said:

I'm gonna pick at it and try to get it out but already get'n frustrated.

Might try grinding in a slot with a dremel tool and if that doesn't work, weld a nut to the bolt and use that to get it loose

Man, what a pain! Im guessing the tool steel is too hard to drill a hole in it.

9 hours ago, Wallfish said:

I'll just send it down to Terry to fix so I can sit here and sip on cocktails until he gets it done in a couple of days.

Never relay had much lock with repairing plastic. They do have plastic welder for bumper on cars you may need to get one.

Also looks like a bit of wiring to be done Hopefully it wont be to bad.

Ha, see you found my little poke at ya in there. :)

This plastic is hard and apparently more brittle now so I'm thinking a 2 part clear epoxy should do it for repairs. For the bigger gaps,  I'll sand some spots of the plastic and use that dust powder to color the surface of the epoxy on the outside so it blends in better.   

Tried cleaning up some of the plastic surfaces last night but a lot of it seems stained so their deep into the plastic. May have to try and sand the whole thing in steps and end with 1500 grit and or compound. 

Got it

Thought I could still pick it out by grinding a flat on the edge but it didn't come out. Ground a flat screwdriver head into an arch to match the grind and shocked it out with the impact drill.

And it's always nice to have an engine ready to go

IMG_0583.JPG.ddd93c01456d30661d7664295b75a729.JPG 

IMG_0584.JPG

1 hour ago, Wallfish said:

Thought I could still pick it out by grinding a flat on the edge but it didn't come out.

That looks pretty bad . I know you didn't do that on your own  was there someone :poke:poking you.

can you take a small chisel and catch the cut in the screw and turning it out. 

1 hour ago, Webhead said:

He loves the pain and aggravation...

Why else would I play with these things :dunno:

Don't forget, you did it before too!

Do you still have one of those Micro mini bikes? If so was wondering if you might get some dimensions for building a repop

1 hour ago, JUST O&R said:

I know you didn't do that on your own  was there someone :poke:poking you.

Hacked that up all by myself! Nice Huh? Problem was it's deeper inside that hole than the radius of the grinding wheel. Got the screw out but never could get that broken piece out of the hex.

Then had to use another bolt from a 1/2 shaft extension to shock that piece off the taper. It was on there hard and even bent the bolt beating on it with a steel hammer after the rubber mallet turned ineffective.

Well, At least there was no problem removing the drum part of the clutch from the gen head

IMG_0585.JPG.fb3f54a347dcf9be5433b8bf255c0129.JPG

A very interesting set up in there.

The magnet section is shaped like a yoyo and the windings are in 2 sections which ride in between. There's what I believe is a vacuum tube inside too?

IMG_0587.JPG.bfe0d64acc1dd31febb37a8153c31985.JPG

Needed to separate the generator from the plastic but the electrical parts inside are held by factory melted plastic. It was easier to cut the wires an I'll solder them back.

IMG_0586.JPG.8da94070a3bd0eb7d493606617fca059.JPG

IMG_0591.JPG.cceaf4a7145f890b33bdf7816da4c3ff.JPG

1 hour ago, JUST O&R said:

hope I can just leave mine in one peace.

Yeah, these aren't the funnest thing to clean and service but unfortunately it was pretty dirty in there as you can see in the pics. The common problem of batteries being left in there for a long time leaked some acid which stained and cracked the plastic. Messing up the wires or the coils is really the main concern. If the generator doesn't work after, it just becomes a pretty boat anchor.

The plastic is stained too deep into it in too many areas that sanding them all out probably isn't going to work. I'm just going to repair the cracks with epoxy and clean it up the best I can. It won't look brand new but certainly should end up better than before. Leaving the "character" on there is necessary sometimes.

So the electrical parts can be removed from the plastic. The only part held by melted plastic is the battery contact spring. I drilled the melted plastic to get it out and will just use epoxy to hold it back in. There are 2 screws holding the other parts / wires so you do not necessarily need to cut the wires to separate the electrical parts from the generator windings.

These electrical parts and contact points in this one need to be cleaned serviced since they're corroded and the little rivet holding a wire to the light bulb socket gave way. Much easier to repair outside of the plastic. 

The wire going to the points was cut off because the insulation was cracked and missing sections so the whole wire will be replaced now.

IMG_0592.JPG.6679d3d8ecc052ec60ceb3cc2a9cfcd1.JPG

1 hour ago, Wallfish said:

Yeah, these aren't the funnest thing to clean and service

No it look like a pain in the a@@ I never liked wiring ether so you can have that project .

I'm into simple and easy when I can. one of this days I will get back on this weeks project

( It look like its this years project to me ) but the virus has got everyone in a tissy

good luck with the wiring.