pmackellow

O&R Tarpen tools

The UK firm of Tarpen were distributors of the Turbair sprayer with O&R power during the 1960's.

The firm also produced a Mini engine setup with O&R power that could be used on some of their tools.

I have two in my collection at the moment, one on a Tarpen 33 hedge trimmer, the other on a cultivator...

P4050097.JPG

P4050098.JPG

P4050099.JPG

P4050100.JPG

P4050101.JPG

P4050102.JPG

P4050103.JPG

P4050104.JPG

2 minutes ago, Wallfish said:

Thanks for posting those Paul.

Plus the added bonus of the spark plug sign on your ceiling! That's cool too

Oh yeah the giant Champion plug arrived Friday, thought that would look good in the Wheelhorse shed !

1 hour ago, pmackellow said:

The UK firm of Tarpen were distributors of the Turbair sprayer with O&R power during the 1960's.

Where does this information come from? I haven't seen any literature or information that connects the two companies.

As far as I know Tarpen Engineering Co Ltd (part of Lindustries Group when the Mini-Engine was available) were based in London, the assets of Tarpen Eng were later sold to Preci Group becoming Preci-Tarpen Ltd.

Edward Bals Sprayers Ltd (sold the Turbair 21 & Turbair Tot) were based at Turbair Works in Bromyard, Herefordshire, Edward Bals Sprayers became Micron Sprayers Ltd then Micron Group, they were a family owned business still based in Bromyard from 1954 to 2018, then sold to Goizper Group of Spain.

And Turbair Ltd (sold the Turbair Tot 2S) were based at Britannica House in Waltham Cross, Hertfordshire and Britannica Works in Waltham Abbey, Essex, they were also known as Pan Britannica Industries Limited (part of the Tennant Group), they also had the registered trademark "Turbair" in 1972 (filed in 1970).

David

A scrap book of cuttings and adverts was acquired from the son of a former Tarpen employee many years ago

In it is this article from Farm Implement and Machinery News 1967

In the text it mentions the machines were developed by Edward Bals and quotes  "The new sprayers, to be marketed in Great Britain by the Tarpen Engineering co Ltd, 7 Coronation Road London"

Second paragraph of text, second photo

P4060001.JPG

P4060002.JPG

1 hour ago, pmackellow said:

A scrap book of cuttings and adverts was acquired from the son of a former Tarpen employee many years ago

In the text it mentions the machines were developed by Edward Bals and quotes  "The new sprayers, to be marketed in Great Britain by the Tarpen Engineering co Ltd, 7 Coronation Road London"

P4060001.JPG

You tell him paul 😂

5 hours ago, pmackellow said:

Thanks for adding that Paul, Tarpen must have briefly marketed the Turbair in 1967, as both of my 1968 Turbair Tot 2S sprayers are branded Turbair Ltd (Waltham Abbey/Cross), as is the 1974 Series 13B engine I have from a later Turbair Tot 2S. All the literature I have is from Turbair Ltd too.

SAM_7147a.jpg.3ca43433b2c2a47394db23752cbb6746.jpg

SAM_4849a.jpg.a83a5e0dce6ebb6001553adb932b6623.jpg

As for Edwards Bals, there was this Turbair Tot sold a few years ago and another NOS boxed one with the Edwards Bals address on the box (made £245).

819962262_T2eC16FHJFwFFZ53nZ9BBRo3NLpimQ60_58a.jpg.feba3868a43030fc9a2fdf23a98771dc.jpg

g9a.jpg.673a634f4c015ac4382d4cebd50e1bb9.jpg

Of course it would be nice to see a Tarpen branded one too or even a catalogue with it in from Tarpen. :fingerscrossed:

David

On 5/8/2020 at 10:22 PM, pmackellow said:

Found this box and extra bottles whilst looking for something else (as you do)

Is the Turbair box something you bought recently, or found while searching in the shed?

I have a similar box but it's so mouldy it's kept inside another box, I did clean up the spare bottle that came with it & sent that to Wallfish to complete his sprayer. I've got no idea if the box can be cleaned without destroying it.

SAM_18383a.jpg.f16054e308a9c9107baac95580975c57.jpg

SAM_18384b.jpg.3280ab0ed26aeea259756d8341c29737.jpg SAM_18382b.jpg.088387f39c57f56705e4e2d2039f87f5.jpg

David

12 minutes ago, Wallfish said:

Those Tarpen tools are definitely cool and they look very well built.  I'd like to find some for my collection but doubt there are very many out there.

I was looking for one for ages and now have three with different tools, there was also a rotary pruning saw and a rotary grass cutter (both of which I have)

Heres a period Tarpen advert for them...

P5220001.JPG

P5220002.JPG

The Tarpen Flex attachments aren't too hard to find, apart from certain ones. Tarpen made PTO units to fit a lot of machinery that used the flexible drive to the attachments, the O&R engine & an electric power head are the only handheld versions.

This is how I acquired the Tarpen O&R, it was in this Keil Kraft boat.

SAM_10454b.jpg.514cea70506bc87c749cf5fd9a160ad1.jpg

When I told the previous owner I was interested in O&R tools he said he still had some of the parts that were removed to put it in the boat, he originally bought it from a surplus shop (which had two of them) in the 1970's.

The only part it needs is a replacement clutch bearing assembly, if you have a look at the propshaft coupling you'll see the bronze bearing got brazed together along with part of the clutch. I'm also not 100% sure the clutch shoe assembly I fitted is correct but that was all I had.

David

I like those Tarpen tools, never seen one in this side of the pond. The chainsaw attachment is pretty neat!  Is there also an outboard attachment?

5 hours ago, CNew said:

I like those Tarpen tools, never seen one in this side of the pond. The chainsaw attachment is pretty neat!  Is there also an outboard attachment?

Not as a Tarpen tool, other makes available !

Do you mean another company made an outboard attachment or are you referring to the Aquabug that R. Perry sold over here in the UK?

@CNew you do have the Polaris power head & attachments over in the US, probably just as hard to find as the Tarpen Mini engine power head is over here.

David

1 hour ago, factory said:

@CNew you do have the Polaris power head & attachments over in the US, probably just as hard to find as the Tarpen Mini engine power head is over here.

I’ve only seen photos on this forum of the Power Pole that has the outboard, tiller and snowblower attachments, unfortunately I don’t have one...

15 hours ago, factory said:

Do you mean another company made an outboard attachment or are you referring to the Aquabug that R. Perry sold over here in the UK?

David

Yes sorry David I meant the Aquabug !

That's what I thought you meant, just wanted to clarify for others that may read this thread in the future and start searching for a non-existent attachment.

Here are some pictures of the inside of the clutch unit for the O&R Tarpen Mini Engine power-head, the rear housing & clutch drum are the OEM parts for this...

DSC_0883a.jpg.9dae22b43e9995fe47385719c5587064.jpg DSC_0884a.jpg.87f69c51097213644bbc0fad9f46eb9c.jpg

... and the rest of the clutch & engine mounting are standard O&R parts.

DSC_0882a.jpg.800d0d8518f0205e571f675363eaf229.jpg DSC_0881a.jpg.5f1f76c37f584c3c6df0e0eddd447e5f.jpg

This threaded adaptor fits in the end on the clutch unit, if you have one of these and it's not seized, add some fresh grease to it to prevent this.

DSC_0887a.jpg.6136cfb2655585f4f242a465433eb338.jpg DSC_0888a.jpg.2fbc129ecd987fe5770d0596cc95c458.jpg

David