CNew

Ohlsson & Rice: Octura R/C Boat

Might tackle this one next. Has some original Octura brochures and a few parts. The engine mount and prop assembly are both genuine Octura.

29B60143-A2DE-496F-B67D-FDA7244CA74E.jpeg

91D32C66-56A3-40C5-95F0-9329F316589D.jpeg

D267D14A-795D-4036-A912-A6C9981EC81D.jpeg

D69717B2-95C8-461B-BB1B-E1B40908ED3E.jpeg

01A891C6-9884-4E42-ABF3-F10219167F13.jpeg

2E5281F3-1E12-4682-B5F3-6192786799FB.jpeg

What happened to the rest of the parts? I thought the lot included another boat mount & some other fittings.

None of the three engines in the lot you bought are anywhere near new enough to go with that 1977 brochure, is the other one older?

Also I've seen this engine before, it last sold in 2017.

q1a.jpg.48a8391373183531ea4734b0ac01224c.jpg q2a.jpg.32796aab03335be5c8a7a42d3de8cdd7.jpg

q3a.jpg.30e564ecca339f46464f7849255e75fa.jpg q4a.jpg.ac2287a36f608769ede7e103077a4ed5.jpg

The rest of the parts & literature (dated 1971 on price list) look suspiciously like the parts from this lot (also sold in 2017), but the newer engine wasn't in the lot you just bought.

r1a.jpg.b67f5265a8211e27439e22a0f1d744a5.jpg r6a.jpg.cf145c089403fa232ac57dc6dba779fb.jpg

r7a.jpg.7f233d457cb25cc028f652b206b0e42c.jpg r12a.jpg.3947c048ec1661c65fc1e6ec445f03df.jpg

David

I think I have most of those other parts. Many of the other items are for smaller boats and not the 1 hp O&R, or maybe a smaller O&R engine. Yes, the brochures are mainly for other smaller engines as well and are 70s era.  By the way - I didn’t pay that price...:)

I have an Octura engine with the high performance rotary valve installed in my White Heat, instead of the feather valve. It makes the engine sound much meaner and probably increases power output. That would be a pleasant surprise if yours has one. David, have you ever seen any paperwork on the rotary valve?

Very cool, I bet that would be a fun boat to blast around a small lake or pond.  I tore this one apart this afternoon.  I didn’t see anything out of the ordinary and it has the usual feather vane.  I’m curious what the rotary valve looks like that’s in your engine. Do you have any photos?

I do not. Is there any mention in the Octura catalogs?

I used to run it with my son using a high quality Futaba controller. It was very cool, except when it died in the middle of the lake. 

I think it’s pretty rare. I read about them some where in the past, maybe the old forum, and then I happened upon one.  

8 hours ago, Webhead said:

Octura engine with the high performance rotary valve

Is that engine run on glow fuel or just gasoline?

11 hours ago, Webhead said:

I have an Octura engine with the high performance rotary valve installed in my White Heat, instead of the feather valve. It makes the engine sound much meaner and probably increases power output. That would be a pleasant surprise if yours has one. David, have you ever seen any paperwork on the rotary valve?

I don't actually have much paperwork for anything to do with Octura except a leaflet from a UK reseller of them, that doesn't mention the special rotary valve. Does it look similar in design to the rotary valves used on the older O&R model plane engines (before the Compact engine existed)?

David

P.S. just ordered an Octura 1965 catalog featuring the O&R powered White Heat, will see if that has anything in it when it arrives from the US.

Clint nice looking engine are you going to put it in a boat or shelf ? that looks like most of the parts for the drive.

do you have a boat  ?  I have toyed with that but no scroll saw and I'm not good with wood one good hit with a hammer 

and it's done .

I’m hoping to put it in a boat some day- it’ll be a nice shelf piece for now. I tore it apart yesterday and getting it back together today/tomorrow so it’ll be ready when the right boat comes along. After opening it up I don’t think the engine has been run much at all. There was no carbonization and all the little plastic bearing cages looked new. 

I’m still kicking myself for not buying the O&R boat I had a chance at when I was back in Minnesota. I need to figure out what all bits and pieces I’m missing - like drive shaft, collars, etc. 

Very cool, man no wonder they called it White Heat, that’s nuts!  That’s a nice little article/write-up as well - thanks for posting the link.

O&R listed the water-cooled cylinder in the 1962 parts diagram (part no. #A-40-3), I'm still looking for a decent one for my engine, but I do have the large exhaust and an Octura carb.

And I should point out that there are other versions of the White Heat hydroplane for smaller engines than the Compact engine.

David

If anyone is interested there is an O&R with the Octura V-8 style exhaust on ePay at the moment;

https://www.ebay.com/itm/383498494441

The same seller has another lot with some other parts including the correct Octura mount for the O&R, shame it's mixed in with a load of other parts;

https://www.ebay.com/itm/383498470128

Note: these are only available for shipping to United States, Canada, Bahamas, Uruguay.

David

On 4/12/2020 at 12:46 PM, factory said:
On 4/12/2020 at 1:32 AM, Webhead said:

I don't actually have much paperwork for anything to do with Octura except a leaflet from a UK reseller of them, that doesn't mention the special rotary valve. Does it look similar in design to the rotary valves used on the older O&R model plane engines (before the Compact engine existed)?

David

P.S. just ordered an Octura 1965 catalog featuring the O&R powered White Heat, will see if that has anything in it when it arrives from the US.

The 1965 Octura catalog arrived today, the main catalog doesn't have anything O&R in it, but the extra newsletters, leaflet & the price list does.

The Octura rotary valve is mentioned as being available in 1966, other modifications mentioned for boosting performance include throwing away the governor vane & the ball valve mechanism from the carb, boring out the carb (this requires a making a new butterfly throttle) and different fuel mixes.

Also sold by Octura in the US was the Sea Queen boat kit, imported from Aerokits in England. :england:

David

David, can you please post a copy of the performance upgrades mention? I’ve never seen anything on paper, only heresy from somebody else. Actually, anything about the White Heat would be great. Thanks