CNew

Ohlsson & Rice: Octura R/C Boat

12 hours ago, Daren89 said:

the photos came from another site

That White Heat V looks suspiciously like Webhead's.

On 4/22/2020 at 3:09 AM, Webhead said:

David, can you please post a copy of the performance upgrades mention? I’ve never seen anything on paper, only heresy from somebody else. Actually, anything about the White Heat would be great. Thanks 

I'll get the O&R relevant bits on the scanner at some point and let you know when they are added to the manuals thread.

David

Hi I have had the WH X plans scanned here is a cropped sample I can email them to you in PDF form and your local office supplies can print them on A0 paper.

I'm after the plan for V (5) if anyone has a copy.

I also have the plans for White heat 30 & 60.

Regards Daren

WHX.1.jpg

Hi  how many different versions of White Heat's were made ??

White Heat V (5) 2 point air cooled 1h/p O/R motor

White Heat X (10) 2 point air cooled 1h/p O/R motor

White Heat 30 7.5cc glow water cooled

White Heat 60 10cc glow water cooled

White Heat 4/60 10cc  glow water cooled

is that all octura made in "R/C Boats" or were there more

Regards Daren

The May 1966 price list only mentions plans for the White Heat V, X, 60 & 30.

But the price list & newsletters do mention other White Heat hulls, there are motor/engine mounts & parts for the XV & XIV, plus the 4-60 mentioned in a newsletter.

They also advertised kits for the UK made Aerokits Sea Queen cruiser and plans for the Underhill sea-going tug (suitable for gas, steam or electric power).

The Octura 1965 catalog is full of casting kits for various miniature gas & steam engines, books and a range of Stuart engines (& accessories) available in kit form or ready built. No O&R's or boats in the main catalog.

Maybe @CNew can see if there are any other boats in the more recent Octura catalogues & price list he has.

David

14 hours ago, Daren89 said:

I have had the WH X plans scanned here is a cropped sample I can email them to you in PDF form

Thanks Daren

Could you please email a copy to uremailing@yahoo.com

Anyone know what the differences are between the V and X

I have a setup with the V8 exhaust and some stuff but I believe the prop setup might be different than pictured in the x drawing above. Guess I'll have to find that stuff and take a look

4 hours ago, Wallfish said:

Anyone know what the differences are between the V and X

The steering strut, drive shaft, prop & large fin, are listed as being for both the White Heat V & X in the May 1966 price list. But the V8 style exhaust is different for the V & X (60° for the V & 90° for the X).

David

7 hours ago, factory said:

Maybe @CNew can see if there are any other boats in the more recent Octura catalogues & price list he has.

These were the only references I could find, and a price sheet.

A4062E7D-29D4-4EF0-A338-9F56B22CDEAB.jpeg

7A3D475B-9582-4E34-B5AC-2B2D0DBC54A5.jpeg

On 5/3/2020 at 5:34 PM, factory said:

The steering strut, drive shaft, prop & large fin, are listed as being for both the White Heat V & X in the May 1966 price list. But the V8 style exhaust is different for the V & X (60° for the V & 90° for the X).

Had to go out and take a peak. I have the 90 deg tubes on the exhaust and the prop drive is the same as Clint posted. That bottom fin is around here somewhere too.

Hi Just found this Octura Model Boat Fittings from May 1969 and scanned it so you can print it. White Heat XV (15) mentioned on page 3 I suspect this became White heat 4-60!

Octura 1.1.1.jpeg

Octura 1.1.2.jpeg

Octura 1.1.3.jpeg

Octura 1.1.4.jpeg

4 hours ago, Daren89 said:

Hi Just found this Octura Model Boat Fittings from May 1969 and scanned it so you can print it. White Heat XV (15) mentioned on page 3 I suspect this became White heat 4-60!

Would you like these adding to the manuals/literature thread? I can turn the pictures into a pdf too, note the resolution of pictures in threads is limited to keep running costs down.

Also nice to see the 1969 price list has the rotary valve & other upgrades for the O&R Compact engine.

David

On 4/29/2020 at 3:51 PM, Daren89 said:

Yes I do Regards Daren

On 5/2/2020 at 7:49 PM, Daren89 said:

Hi I have had the WH X plans scanned here is a cropped sample I can email them to you in PDF form and your local office supplies can print them on A0 paper.

I'm after the plan for V (5) if anyone has a copy.

I also have the plans for White heat 30 & 60.

Regards Daren

WHX.1.jpg

On 5/21/2020 at 11:54 PM, kdsbrs said:

Daren 89: I would like to receive the electronic copy of the White Heat X plans. Can you let us know when you have them prepared? Thanks!

Finally got the Octura carb & 'go-louder' exhaust fitted to my boat engine, the engine still needs rebuilding at some point on the future, will have to make another tool to get the cylinder off.

SAM_6493a.jpg.87502377773dbc71ad4171468129d49a.jpg

SAM_6494a.jpg.5e0dfb494947b67b355623e28ad06bfc.jpg

SAM_6495a.jpg.d6c2492fd5fae019d1cca2226c474ac1.jpg

Hopefully I'll find a more original cylinder in the future, this one has been bodged by a previous owner, they didn't even bother to remove the cylinder as there is lots of solder splattered on the inside of the starter. :banghead:

DSC_1311a.jpg.62e3690ea43963e8ce79ddc85fe00a61.jpg DSC_1312a.jpg.1e652c81e918c0e85413ffbfc86131f5.jpg

David

14 hours ago, factory said:

this one has been bodged by a previous owner,

I see you have people like that there too. Ive seen my share of that here mowers are the worst

On 6/5/2020 at 1:21 PM, JUST O&R said:
On 6/4/2020 at 10:55 PM, factory said:

this one has been bodged by a previous owner,

I see you have people like that there too. Ive seen my share of that here mowers are the worst

It happens in a lot of things and the stuff I used to repair for a living. I recycled a mower last weekend, it was massive lump of cheap orange plastic junk, saved a few of the screws & the motor brushes though.

On 6/5/2020 at 3:10 AM, CNew said:

That exhaust is awesome!

On 6/5/2020 at 3:26 PM, Fishnuts2 said:

I'm thinking that I could almost hear the exhaust noise from that engine at my house!

Neat project!

The V8 style exhaust seems a little more common, just need to figure out how to make a cooling system, then I can see if the (noisy) neighbours appreciate the sounds from it. :hyper:

David