CNew

Ohlsson & Rice: Chip-A-Saw Gets a New Life...

It’s been a slow project but finally on the home stretch. A big THANKS to Wallfish for getting me going with the bones of this really cool saw. With his advice I was able to harvest an engine and a few other parts from an old Orline Mustang. Original paint was too far gone for a refresh so it was time for a complete restoration. Webhead is fixing me up with a hook screw for the muffler since this saw has the little exhaust collector extension and it needs to be about 3” long.  I was able to find some cable conduit in the right diameter and made a new throttle cable for it.  Hopefully when Titch has some time maybe he can get a decal made up as the finishing touch.

I had forgotten about the bark rest piece until Wallfish reminded me and of course I’d already finished painting everything else so that piece is late to the game but drying now (it’s already 104 in AZ so dry time should be faster). Finding a good paint match was a bit more challenging than I thought it would be, must have gone through about four different reds and 6 yellows but I think I landed on a pretty good match all said and done. Yellow is really hard...

941C2A0B-8BD1-479E-8A93-0B630C947521.jpeg

04DC2BB7-6778-46EA-B533-D4BADBE1EEC4.jpeg

19FFCB20-DCC9-4135-AA0B-A0020DE73914.jpeg

96346D0D-649D-4502-93CB-37FBCB673972.jpeg

C257A7DF-9B93-44DD-9DC0-E96BE9BFA15B.jpeg

Edited by CNew
Typo

It’s a square o-ring like the one that usually goes on the induction case. The handle of the saw wiggles up and down ever so slightly and the o-ring kind of cushions it, probably helps the paint from chipping off in that area too.

Thought I would add a couple more photos in different lighting. When I looked at it his morning without the lights on it actually looked much better for taking pictures. I think these show the yellow much better- it has just the right hint of red in it. 

BBC275BA-FD26-4135-98A3-6915DEA194B2.jpeg

5C5B0BB7-FA7F-4C48-B225-7A8DE0B7D1CE.jpeg

3FB6AABD-535C-425B-BCED-7C2A63F60698.jpeg

3 hours ago, CNew said:

The handle of the saw wiggles up and down ever so slightly

They all do on those. I was gonna knock the roll pin out and swag the pipe a little to make it fit tight but never did it.

Ha, see you are babying that thing already with the cloth. Are you wiping it down with a diaper yet? :yankchain:

That's the only thing with doing nice restores, it's a PITA to baby them so they don't get scratched up. Then it really sucks when they do eventually get scratched.

Yeah, already had to do some minor touch up.  The engine and recoil cowl took a little more work to line up and get secured to the tank so I accidentally nicked the paint by the recoil cover screws. All fixed now but frustrating in the moment...

1 hour ago, Wallfish said:

Just guessing that TT which he still has in pieces. :dunno:

Yep, still picking away at the Tiny Tiger. Things have been pretty busy lately so progress is slow.  How about you, what’s the current project?

That looks like its on the back burner to me. I think he needs to go on a hunting expedition again. 

Nothing new for a while. Hope every one is good been up to my a$$  in lawn mowers not much time to

do anything. 

13 minutes ago, JUST O&R said:

That looks like its on the back burner to me.

I've had a TT400 on the back burner for a very long time, the engine got rebuilt but I now can't get to the lathe to machine a new screw for the alternator, it's longer the standard TT uses BTW.

I've been busy with selling & packing things (non-O&R related) since the last cheap listing weekend on ePay.

David

8 hours ago, CNew said:

How about you, what’s the current project?

Think I'm going to have to post something since no one else is busy on here and it's been a bit dead. Was going to wait until it's done but...

It's a good sign people are busy with work again

6 hours ago, Wallfish said:

Think I'm going to have to post something since no one else is busy on here and it's been a bit dead. 

I’ve been thinking the same thing, it seems to be a little slow on here these days.  Hopefully I can get back after it here this weekend and wrap this TT project up and get on to something a little more exciting.

On 5/14/2020 at 4:43 PM, Wallfish said:

Think I'm going to have to post something since no one else is busy on here and it's been a bit dead.

I'm still working on the glo engine you sent me I think I have it figured out;)

6 hours ago, JUST O&R said:

I'm still working on the glo engine you sent me I think I have it figured out;)

I still never found that first set of parts I was going to send you. Wanted to put my engine back together but they gotta be around here somewhere. Was going to get you guys pics of those parts and lost them some how. 

My airplane engine is stripped down, has a copper cap soldered over the flywheel side of the shaft, and a small port soldered into the exhaust manifold. It's used to pressurize the fuel tank which would be completely sealed so you could fly in any position without loosing fuel to the carb.