mikec

Mayfield Merlin Advice

Hi there my name is Mike and I have just joined the forum, after doing some googling about the Mayfield Merlins.  I own one. When I was a kid in the late 60s my father came home with one as we had a huge back garden at the time (I learnt to drive in the garden it was that big!!) We have recently moved back into the family home ( with a lot less garden now as the bottom of the gardens were sold off in the 80s to build a new road.) I never did know what happened to it until we moved back in and we were clearing some very thick hedging/ thorny/ over grown ivy stuff at the bottom of the garden. To my amazement I have uncovered what is left of our one, number 108.. My wife would love me to restore it, so I am making some enquiries with this in mind. Is it easy to source parts for it or do they all need to be specially made? I am a car mechanic and am very adept at making/repairing panels etc. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. For sentimental reasons I would like to restore it, It will have to wait a while as I am in the middle of doing my mk2 cortina GT, and I have a 71 challenger I should do too and I am slowly doing the bungalow too. I hope there should be a picture as found and I know it is in a state. 

Screenshot_20200428-164001_WhatsApp.jpg

Edited by mikec

Wow thats awesome that its still there! Great piece of family history and I hope you post pictures as you restore it! I don't think there are very many around so sourcing spares might be hard, but someone may have some parts. For the most part it looks fairly complete which is good to make templates and new parts from. I've fixed garden tractors which have been in a similar condition :thumbs:

Hi Mike. 

That's a great find after all this time. Shame the bonnet has not been covering the engine. I had 4 of the things sat here a few years ago. 1 was the 2nd built. Yours is number 8. I have been slowly restoring one for my son. I have a set of rear tyres for one going spare. Where are you based?

Have you got a deck?

Edited by Chris

19 minutes ago, Chris said:

Hi Mike. 

That's a great find after all this time. Shame the bonnet has not been covering the engine. I had 4 of the things sat here a few years ago. 1 was the 2nd built. Yours is number 8. I have been slowly restoring one for my son. I have a set of rear tyres for one going spare. Where are you based?

Have you got a deck?

Hi yes it is complete bar the vinyl base and back seat   cutter assy underneath which fell off years ago( not worried as I will just drive it up the road and back)and maybe air cleaner. I do remember dad had put a 12v battery on it and a auxiliary coil so I guess the ignition was in trouble . Excuse my ignorance what is deck and the tyres would be handy I am in Walton-on-Thames.

Cutter deck. I have one to restore for mine. It's only a Briggs engine & parts are easy to find.

Sure mine is number 7 so they were prob build on same day. I have painted mine Fordson blue as is my sons & that's what he wanted. I need to finish it off as taken 6 years so on & off. 

3 hours ago, Chris said:

Cutter deck. I have one to restore for mine. It's only a Briggs engine & parts are easy to find.

Sure mine is number 7 so they were prob build on same day. I have painted mine Fordson blue as is my sons & that's what he wanted. I need to finish it off as taken 6 years so on & off. 

When you say number 7, mine has 108 on it. Did the number sequence start at 100? . I think the engine is U/S was seized at some point and the head was taken off, I still have the head though.

I did give it a coat of hammerite blue many many years ago when I was young.

4 hours ago, mikec said:

When you say number 7, mine has 108 on it. Did the number sequence start at 100? . I think the engine is U/S was seized at some point and the head was taken off, I still have the head though.

I did give it a coat of hammerite blue many many years ago when I was young.

Yep the numbers started at 100 mike they were built in West Sussex the engines are Briggs- Stratton 8 hp

I have one too in bits too but has been partially restored and just require putting back together..... I have several Briggs engines to make one good engine. Cannot recall the number on mine but will endeavour to find out. 

Keep us posted on its ressurection and more photos please! 

Here are a few more pictures as I had a few minutes today. I would like any parts that I can get, probably best if i can get a good running engine with fuel tank as the old tank is very holy. it is going to be an interesting thing to do. I think the engine cover is the best bit about it, i am surprised as it was lying in the dirt for years. Got the hinges freed up today. Unfortunatly the front wheels are rotted out too due to sitting in the dirt, whether I can still use the centres and weld on different rims?.

DSC05358.JPG

DSC05351.JPG

DSC05349.JPG

DSC05354.JPG

DSC05347.JPG

Edited by mikec

Wheels are split rims so quite easy to make templates, I might have a petrol tank will look up the workshop, If you pm wristpin he might if you ask him nicely rebuild your old engine  for you, ( he’s the old engine wizard )

OK I have had a thought, forgive me if it's a dumb question. With some cars and kit cars thye use bits from other manufactures to save on cost. On the merlin is this the case too as I would like to get as many parts as possible to make life easier for myself.

1 hour ago, mikec said:

OK I have had a thought, forgive me if it's a dumb question. With some cars and kit cars thye use bits from other manufactures to save on cost. On the merlin is this the case too as I would like to get as many parts as possible to make life easier for myself.

No they were all mayfield parts except for engine, the showman has a tank if you pm him , the engine will run ok again, so what other parts will you need Mike ?

I just noticed it will need pedal rubbers, throttle cable,clutch cable, and I have no idea if the clutch is any good. Silly bits really I am talking to Chris at the moment about the tank and the tyres. I freed up and lubricated the drive train too.

Yes that is the idea I had to sort the front wheels, I just need to find some donor wheels. They remind me of 70's wheel barrow wheels mine measure up at 8 3/4" .

Edited by mikec

Hi Mike. Sorry I been but busy to reply. I have some rear tyres. Kevin snewin may have some other spares if needed. Just give us a list of what you need. Good to see ur making a start

34 minutes ago, Chris said:

Hi Mike. Sorry I been but busy to reply. I have some rear tyres. Kevin snewin may have some other spares if needed. Just give us a list of what you need. Good to see ur making a start

Is Kevin on here too, I think I have found him on facebook so will message him. I am interested in the tyres please there is no panic though.

On 5/6/2020 at 10:27 PM, mikec said:

Is Kevin on here too, I think I have found him on facebook so will message him. I am interested in the tyres please there is no panic though.

No Kevin’s not on here now you will have to farcebook him Mike

44 minutes ago, nigel said:

No Kevin’s not on here now you will have to farcebook him Mike

Yes thanks I have made contact with him, Be loverly if he had some front rims:unsure: I am looking out for some wheels to work with

DSC05369.JPG

4 hours ago, Chris said:

App you can still buy this style but God knows where

Any leads would be gratefully appreciated, just to save me messing about with them I am looking at 8" lambretta split rims at the moment. Kevin has said he may have some bits to give me a head start, any thing to keep me from having to decorate a bedroom:D 

Edited by mikec