Josh4722

Another Westwood W8 saved from the scrapyard

I was on facebook earlier and i saw a w8 paleface with the light cover instead of the headlights, It has the rear exit exhaust and ive never seen a westwood like this before. I restored and sold my other 2 palefaces about a year ago and practically gave up on my youtube channel (ProjectRestore) haha. This mower was breaking for spares but it seemed quite rare with some of the parts it had on it so i thought itd be worth an ask if i could buy it whole. The guy offered it me for £50 so i took it straight away! Its going to be undergoing a full nut and bolt rebuild on my channel because its very rusty which i will be doing in my shed because i find it easier to work there and it means i can be in there 12 hours a day working. The first video will go up in a few months because i want to finish my shed before i get working on it so i will attach some photos now but videos wont be going up for a while yet. (Please bare with me on videos though because im 15 yrs old so it takes a lot of saving up to afford to get parts for it lol)

New Westy 2.jpg

New Westy 3.jpg

New Westy.jpg

5 minutes ago, Josh4722 said:

I was on facebook earlier and i saw a w8 paleface with the light cover instead of the headlights, It has the rear exit exhaust and ive never seen a westwood like this before. I restored and sold my other 2 palefaces about a year ago and practically gave up on my youtube channel (ProjectRestore) haha. This mower was breaking for spares but it seemed quite rare with some of the parts it had on it so i thought itd be worth an ask if i could buy it whole. The guy offered it me for £50 so i took it straight away! Its going to be undergoing a full nut and bolt rebuild on my channel because its very rusty which i will be doing in my shed because i find it easier to work there and it means i can be in there 12 hours a day working. The first video will go up in a few months because i want to finish my shed before i get working on it so i will attach some photos now but videos wont be going up for a while yet. (Please bare with me on videos though because im 15 yrs old so it takes a lot of saving up to afford to get parts for it lol)

New Westy 2.jpg

New Westy 3.jpg

New Westy.jpg

Forgot to add, it came with a good condition brochure, a good condition owners manual and a mint condition engine part guide, all original!

Looks like a good project!

When you come to needing decals, give me a shout, we sell all the westwood decals. look forward to seeing the project unfold :thumbs:

3 hours ago, Cub Cadet said:

Looks like a good project!

When you come to needing decals, give me a shout, we sell all the westwood decals. look forward to seeing the project unfold :thumbs:

Yeah thanks ill definitely be getting some

5 hours ago, Stormin said:

Seem to be a few Westwoods popping up. Apart from the seat, it doesn't look in bad condition. Not bashed about. :thumbs:

Nah i dont think its too bad, I just want to make it as original looking as possible

So its back at mine and its worse than i thought. It sounds really good  but 3 axle mounts have snapped, the 2 front ones and one back one that can be welded. The electric start doesnt work and its really rusty all over. Its still getting a full restoration starting in a few months so ill keep you all updated

6 hours ago, meadowfield said:

looks like a good project - we've a basket case in for work at the moment - a W11 paleface.

yeah, ive had a load of them as i said, ive had 4 palefaces now lol. Really nice little mowers when theyre done

I had a W11 some years back for the grandsons to ride round on. Never did any work on it. I did find that previous owner/owners, had run it with no bearing left for the LH drive shaft. The tube was elongated by at least half an inch.

Scrapped it, kept the engine and the front axle was used for a tractor ambulance trailer.

43 minutes ago, Stormin said:

I had a W11 some years back for the grandsons to ride round on. Never did any work on it. I did find that previous owner/owners, had run it with no bearing left for the LH drive shaft. The tube was elongated by at least half an inch.

Scrapped it, kept the engine and the front axle was used for a tractor ambulance trailer.

Yeah theyre ideal for that because they arent that quick. Shame about the bearing being missing though.

Hi Josh, glad you found that. Looks to be quite a rare one as it's a W8 and also has the early thick ribbed tyres. Looking forward to seeing it all sorted :D if you need any help with sourcing parts, I'm sure I can help 

Edited by WestwoodW8Gazelle