Ian

SIP Migmate wire feed tip

I thought I'd get a couple of photo's of this handy tip before the Mig went into the big recycling bin in the sky yesterday  :)

I expect a few of you have one of these Sip Migmates.  Only in better condition than this one :)

P3090920_zps797cc4fb.jpg

They are not bad mig welders for the price but they do have one big downfall, 90% of the wire feed gubbins in made from plastic and overtime weaken making it a right pain to get the wire feeding through right.

The solution is to make and add one of these little brackets to stop the wire feed rollers from moving apart.

Hope this is helpful chaps.

20140324_090032_zps99f24653.jpg

20140324_090023_zpse4a3e6a6.jpg

Thanks for sharing Ian. May have to make one of those for mine, although it is only a back up welder and has been used so little from new its on the original coil of wire with most of it left. What have you replaced your welder with? My main welder is a big Migatronic.

Sorry it's taken me ages to reply to you mate, I kept forgetting to take any photo's until the wire running out yesterday reminded me!

My new-ish welded is also a SIP MigMate, but this one is of much sturdier construction...   The wire feed gubbins are made of nice strong steel which doesn't bend unlike the plastic ones..

The thing that freaks me out with the new welder is it has/never had a cooling fan built in!!!   Which means I forget it's turned on as I can't hear it!!

P5021222_zps145dce4d.jpg

P5021223_zps41383601.jpg

My Dad's had one identical to that for about 20 years Ian, damn good welder, but yes your right about the fan. 

The fix on the newer shape Sip welder at the top is definitely worth doing! :thumbs: Every time i tried to use it i had to mess around for ages tweaking the wire tension, made up one of your adapters and it welded beautiful! Better than it ever had before! 

It happens when the feed gets over tightened. Ive not had to use that fix yet as the problem hasn't arrisen yet. That said I have added a second circuit board to prevent the wire run on which is a god send.

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk

Most Migs use a 12v feed motor that costs around £25 to replace , Most vehicle use the same motors in their washer bottles as the pump vanes fit onto the same flat on the motor shaft .

I found that early Fiat Ducato ones were good quality motors .

Though i have to admit to not needing to change my Sealy 150/5 motor yet after 10 years of use ! .