Weehunt

Drillgine 1967 (actually 1975)

I recently purchased this 1967 Drillgine. It’s in good condition. But I haven’t been able to get it running. It seems to be getting intermittent spark and I found the primer pump was plugged. The fuel inlet to the pump was plugged. The diaphragm is hard and distorted. I don’t have any instructions or diagrams to work from. 

The numbers on the cylinder plate is 

13B352

Thank you for any help 

Dennis. 

9DD52A5B-8861-4748-8773-B3E352379816.jpeg

:WMOM:

These are a little tricky to work on, they come apart & go back together in a certain order, I'm still looking for a manual to add to the forum.

It's quite a bit newer than 1967, engine SN 501xxxx was built in Jan 1975, also the engines weren't called the series 13A or 13B till Sept 1970, does the label on the top of the starter say Ohlsson & Rice or Advanced Engine Products Inc? I reckon it could be the latter.

The later carbs have a brass check valve which often gets stuck with old dried out fuel mix, also they can have the rubber seal for the arm inside the diaphragm assembly, these also go bad. The diaphragm will need changing if it's hard & brittle.

The intermittent spark could be the points needing cleaning or a loose/bad connection somewhere.

David

P.S. nice to see one of these drills that still has the chuck key with it.

:WMOM:

The black label on the top of the blower is an Advanced Engine Products label

Definitely newer than 1967. Curious where you got the 1967 year from?

Clean points contacts, clean the copper spring where it meets that little post, clean the post, clean and good wire connections on the back of the post, Looks like that brass stop switch is upside down so make sure it isn't touching anything

The condenser body needs to be grounded and it's loose in the pic.

Once all that is checked take the plug out and lay it on top of the head. Give it a good pull and you should see a sharp snapping blueish spark in the >030 gap of the plug.

Lots of carb info in this thread linked below. You will see the ball bearing type check valve but yours has the rubber stopper (newer) type. The diaphragms for both are the same and I'll send you one to the address you provided

Welcome to the forum!  Nice drill unit and it looks like the experts have you taken care of.  Looking forward to hearing how your rebuild goes.

11 minutes ago, Wallfish said:

The condenser body needs to be grounded and it's loose in the pic.

It might be screwed down to the crankcase flange which would still work, the wire looks quite short, the later tools often have it mounted on the the cylinder cooling baffle/plate above the coil, needs a longer wire for that though.

SAM_7481b.jpg.ee83a4fe2ce4e1869afe41dbd7be8119.jpg

13 minutes ago, Wallfish said:

The black label on the top of the blower is an Advanced Engine Products label

I think it is too because of the engine date, but can't confirm the label says that as it's not clear.

BTW there are black labels for both O&R & AEP branded engines.

SAM_7482a.jpg.730600f0c7155aa0594c8bb81fc06df7.jpg SAM_6153b.jpg.3672cecbcc5918e3bfaa27416a7e4daf.jpg

David

Thanks for all the info David

I came up with the date of 1967 from a operation instruction sheet that came with it. Issued date of 1967 Revised date of 1971. The air cleaner is one piece and the material inside is bad. I will check and clean all the areas you recommended. 

I will get that diaphragm ordered. 

Thank you

Dennis

CED00F97-0DD9-4851-9906-1D1E53FD6124.jpeg

BCC9352D-33DA-4A2B-B916-22EEFC8940EA.jpeg

1CECCEC1-5AA1-45A0-B416-B01F4EA471F0.jpeg

16 hours ago, Weehunt said:

I came up with the date of 1967 from a operation instruction sheet that came with it. Issued date of 1967 Revised date of 1971.

That is indeed just the year of the last change to the instructions, at the time your engine was made. The serial number confirms the date of production of the engine as being Jan 1975, 13B is the series of engine & 352 is the engine spec.

It's interesting to see it's branded O&R, the first adverts with the new name of Advanced Engine Products Inc. (AEP) appeared in Dec 1974, it looks like the factory carried on using up parts with the old brand first.

David

4 hours ago, Weehunt said:

I cleaned all the contact points and have a good spark. I think it will run once I get the diaphragm and get the carb put back on. 

Dennis

Diaphragm is on the way.

Be sure to let us know how it all works out.

Thank you. It’s been a interesting fun project. A special Thank You to everyone from this group that help with information direction and the diaphragm needed to get it running. This unit was part of a bunch of surplus tools from the US Army. 2nd PLAT on the fuel tank. 

The unit belongs to a good friend. He ask me to see if I could get it running as he will be putting it up For Sale. 

Dennis

5D884A07-A8E1-42E9-87D2-83880A22E7D2.jpeg

AF41E5C8-3843-4768-9F16-D07FCDF359AA.jpeg

E50419A7-C055-427F-B3FD-1E855E556035.jpeg