CNew

Ohlsson & Rice: Comet Pump

The Comet pump arrived today. Unfortunately it’s missing the ignition coil cover and the actual pump mechanism but it’s still great to be able to add this to the collection and round out the Comet tools.

1540964F-1EBD-49C6-BB9C-4EA223ECF426.jpeg

7065D198-CB8E-4EF8-8B6A-D5836A5BC908.jpeg

9C4774EF-6A89-47EE-BBBB-DC80A2671F8C.jpeg

3A3C49E0-61E4-4761-A9F5-D3C50022493D.jpeg

Haven’t counted, it’s finally looking like a collection though. I desperately need to build some shelves and start displaying them.

I bet you’re right about the pump, doesn’t take much to mess up one of those little impellers.

I’d like to try your aluminum foil technique for the rust on the handle, what is the mixture you soak it in first?

You can do it dry or just dip it in water which works fine but some have said to use Coke. I don't like the sticky mess of the soda and it doesn't really seem to do anything more than water. Crumble it up as the sharp edges is what cleans it up but will not scratch the chrome.

Use it on the exhaust manifold too. Makes them look new if they're not too bad.

Coating with a very thin coat oil after is good too to stop the rust from returning.

That's the second O&R pump Cnew has that's missing the pump section, I don't think mine has an intact impeller either, being made of rubber they dry out & crack up with age, as well as fail if run dry. I do have at least one pump with a good impeller here somewhere.

The handle is attached on the other side of mine, it's also one of the few older engines I have with the Model letter printed on the decal, I had to fit a new set of feet as the originals were falling apart;

SAM_18321a.jpg.40e16f6d96e029432a8cff69eadc5e1f.jpg SAM_18326a.jpg.f75861273e2724d4aeb9e29dc2674c2f.jpg

SAM_18334a.jpg.e657fcfab1ee84ee4610f245b8eaad8e.jpg

David

The one I have is also marked on the label with a B.

It's been a very long time since and can't remember exactly what it was from but I found a new impeller to fit. Think it came from one of those drill pumps

My handle comes from the coil side as well but they obviously could be switched. Not sure why

That would be very useful if you can remember, I've looked at lots of impellers and have so far been unable to find one of either the correct size or shaft fitting.

David

P.S. Odd that the engines are labelled B as that is supposed to be the standard engine supplied with an O&R base tank.

It was on the old forum when it was changed. 10 years? My memory SUCKS now and it's getting worse everyday but I do remember changing it.

You vultures might end up with a good score when I soon forget that I even collect O&R stuff, and then the O'lady puts it all up for sale.

11 minutes ago, Wallfish said:

You vultures might end up with a good score when I soon forget that I even collect O&R stuff, and then the O'lady puts it all up for sale.

Probably a high chance this vulture wouldn't be able to buy any of them, most sales of collections on ePay are always US only and the other vultures usually buy them all up before I see them.

My memory must be bad too, there is an early starter sitting on the shelf & I cant remember what it belongs too, it might end up on my Kenco pump if I don't' remember soon.

David

On 5/22/2020 at 11:20 AM, Wallfish said:

My handle comes from the coil side as well but they obviously could be switched. Not sure why

I thought that would be simply to figure out.  ( some people are left handed)

On 5/22/2020 at 11:35 AM, Wallfish said:

We went through this before we are birds of prey

1 hour ago, JUST O&R said:
On 5/22/2020 at 4:20 PM, Wallfish said:

I thought that would be simply to figure out.  ( some people are left handed)

It's shown fitted on both sides in the manual, I don't have any original combined manuals that cover the four Comet Tote'N Tools, there are two versions (still looking), the C/Saw did come with a manual that only covers the C/saw.

u1a.jpg.648e419706d122105838a38b4b3eae03.jpg u8b.jpg.b846fe3fbd8a5fa764a685af5f392187.jpg

The other version of the Comet manual below was originally posted by @neons .

58306933a1a19_ORTotentools(0).jpg.d24a9a0e12520d2db38f4041c2589e24.jpg.c323c8481e856b46789d2bfb36aa81e4.jpg 583069363b160_ORTotentools(2).jpg.de740bf7299b72fc8ab47ed4c09fd2fcb.jpg.643af84106d7d89d2e27a44a424888cd.jpg

583069363b160_ORTotentools(2).jpg.de740bf7299b72fc8ab47ed4c09fd2fca.jpg.70f8c448d9550d68ea9a7e8c1c99776b.jpg

David

P.S. the only Comet tool I'm missing is still the chainsaw, OK I don't have the Comet drill but do have a much later Drillgine version.

24 minutes ago, factory said:

P.S. the only Comet tool I'm missing is still the chainsaw, OK I don't have the Comet drill but do have a much later Drillgine version.

Im in a similar boat with the Drillgine. I have an early model in red but I don’t know if it was technically part of the Comet group.

It started as just a surface cleaning and then all the sudden there’s this big pile of parts:scratchhead: 

The unit had a really strong smell of cigarette smoke, it’s amazing that even metal soaks that in.  I should have this all apart today and will give everything a good clean and lube. Not sure if I’ll try to start the engine when I’m done, probably not. This one has the plastic bearings so no need to risk it.  There’s just something satisfying about knowing the engine will run though, even though it’s mainly eye candy for display.

It also looks like it was exposed to something slightly corrosive so the paint is’t going to clean up to pristine when it’s done but it’ll still look nice.

813F043A-8A8C-4543-9652-726CD062BD62.jpeg

AFA3DD9C-BC54-46B8-8560-1B27F4167C1F.jpeg

And just like David and John are always cautioning - this is exactly why it’s so important to remove all the old crumbly air filter...

AC6F6BB7-6543-4AF5-AE7F-5C982BA021A0.jpeg

EBC42AA1-0E02-4EF6-BA52-EF1D3E9F063D.jpeg

A Comet drill would have be badged Tote'n Tools. Same for the circular saws too.

Think I actually had one of those drills but sold it because the drill wasn't in very good condition compared to the others I had. That was way back in the day and now wish I had just changed the tanks and kept the Tote'n Tools decal on one. They seem to be very rare

Funny how that happens once ya get started on one. Bet you're getting a lot faster at them by now anyway so might as well just open them up.

Yup, clear as day it was run and sucked in the filter foam. 

There shouldn't be any issues running them with the plastic bearing cages and especially after going through it. It seems to me they only fail after long use, hard running or going well over 6300 rpm. 

I’m definitely getting faster with these unless there’s something a little unusual or tedious like the re-wire job on the Tiny Tiger.  You’re absolutely right though, I got just enough stuff removed that it was better just to go all the way.  Plus, it’s always nice to know what condition everything is in everything and to know it’s all put back together correctly. I may try to run it for a couple minutes when I’m done.  Now that I’ve got it all apart I don’t think this one has seen a whole lot of use, insides look actually look pretty nice with very little carbonization. Probably ran just long enough and without water to ruin the pump and then off to the shelf...

23 hours ago, CNew said:

Im in a similar boat with the Drillgine. I have an early model in red but I don’t know if it was technically part of the Comet group.

12 hours ago, Wallfish said:

A Comet drill would have be badged Tote'n Tools. Same for the circular saws too.

Think I actually had one of those drills but sold it because the drill wasn't in very good condition compared to the others I had. That was way back in the day and now wish I had just changed the tanks and kept the Tote'n Tools decal on one. They seem to be very rare

The other red drill is branded Drillgine by Orion Manufacturing Co. I've seen at least one red Orion Drillgine in the UK, but Comet tools don't appear over here.

David

Got it all back together after a complete tear down and rebuild. This thing has some serious compression now. Maybe I’ll have some time this week to fire it up for a few minutes.

BD2C3C8A-45D0-47F0-946C-5627FFF5A071.jpeg

460D9382-70AA-44A2-BB1A-2E38528DE07A.jpeg

CD1F59BA-B218-4834-81E4-0FDEFD7A2086.jpeg

6A07CA44-36CA-44D9-A932-3549C103B085.jpeg

Yep, the foil worked great! The manifold is the original.  It has a few little spots that are permanent but overall it cleaned up pretty well.

Had to put heat shrink on all the coil wires since they were so stiff and brittle and cracked at the bends.