Wallfish

Micro Power mini bike build

Since these little bikes are so rare and don't come up for sale very often, I decided to build a repop. Doubtful I would spend the money these things get even when they do show up for sale, so this is most likely the only way to add one to the collection.

Bending the pipe looked pretty easy to begin with but I had to do quite a few just to get twins of each. Making a template and making a better bender would be much easier to reproduce exact copies but since I don't have exact dimensions except for some basic height and length, making templates is too difficult to scale the size from pics. Once I get exact dimensions of certain points from an original maybe I can make a bender and a template to achieve a more accurate reproduction. So for now it was lots of back and forth referencing pics and lots of guessing, this came out fairly close but think the seat needs to move forward. It took a few tries to get a tool made for doing the flat ends of the pipe where the wheels mount too so they look right.

It's was being worked on for the last few weeks here and there and I stop whenever I hit a road block but get back to it later with fresh eyes and typically a new approach will work out. Got to this point today which is enough to post some pics. Think the handle bars are a bit too wide as they are but intentionally left them long since they can always be cut.

Banana seat caused some headaches with bending twins. The original flat seat would be much easier.

IMG_0646.JPG.648606d1e6c2765b42b336040c253a95.JPG

Getting ready to weld the engine support.

IMG_0644.JPG.0703d4dd719c3e9cd30bdfc030d2807d.JPG

Threw on a recoil so it looks more O&R and set a tank on there. The O&R tank will probably stay instead of a larger original type tank

IMG_0648.JPG.5dd7a22745bd452364755542b842ada7.JPG

And here's what it's supposed to represent

2028390087_microsideview.jpg.eaf3a4d89adb8b05b5892a96ff7e46e2.jpg

Wow John, that is really nice! I thought that might what you’ve been up to lately and I’ve been anxious to see the progress.  Very impressive, especially for just a bunch of eye-balling!  Cant wait to see the final post with a video of you riding it around!

Thanks

Building it so I can race Terry on his skateboard. :D

Already have the little generator with one headlight and the tail light, been debating on whether or not to add the second light or just go cyclops. Still have lots to do like cut the handle bars and add the springs inside them, make fenders,  kick stand, paint etc etc.

Not sure how I'm going to do the throttle yet but probably just go with a small trigger type. The originals were internal wire.

So far can't find small enough brakes and a drum to fit in the small 4" rims. Bought a set but they don't fit right so still working on that too

That looks very nice. The dynamo & lights look to be standard accessories available at the time for fitting to any bicycles, I had a few bike dynamos like the one shown on that original mini-bike here years ago but they had been drowned. The mini-bike I bought has brackets on the front for attaching a headlight & dynamo.

David

On 5/26/2020 at 3:53 PM, Wallfish said:

Already have the little generator with one headlight and the tail light, been debating on whether or not to add the second light or just go cyclops.

If you’re not trying to make an exact replica I think cyclops would actually look pretty cool!

It’s a little hard to see in the original photo but the red button stop switch looks very similar to the stop switches used on the Tanaka 1.2 and 3 hp outboards. I found one on eBay when I was fixing the TAS auger - perfect match. Kind of like this one:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/TANAKA-30806-button-kill-stop-switch-Moby-Powerboard-PBSE-802-803-TPB350GX-400GX/123725842165?epid=6017773785&hash=item1ccea286f5:g:hhcAAOSwv~layqbU

On 5/26/2020 at 6:53 PM, Wallfish said:

Building it so I can race Terry on his skateboard.

You have no change winning that race :hyper: That's coming out great when you get done you can made me one . very nice

1 minute ago, JUST O&R said:

You have no change winning that race :hyper: That's coming out great when you get done you can made me one . very nice

PS. I don't have brakes

9 hours ago, CNew said:

It’s a little hard to see in the original photo but the red button stop switch looks very similar to the stop switches used on the Tanaka 1.2 and 3 hp outboards. I found one on eBay when I was fixing the TAS auger - perfect match. Kind of like this one:

Bought this one a while back.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Engine-Kill-On-Off-Switch-Button-3-Wire-Go-Kart-Fun-Cart-Mini-Bike/193149454466?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Originally I thought they just had one light because of Webhead's and his pics. Just waiting to see how close I can get it now before adding more stuff but those lights are fairly cheap.

One thing I haven't been able to find is  those exact rise type foot pegs. I have some folding foot pegs but they don't have that riser bracket. Got the feeling that's something which has to be made but think it's figured out.

It seemed to look right when I was working on it and holding it up to eyeball the scale but looking at the pics after posting them, I need to adjust that frame. The seat is too high from the top of the engine and the seat sits back too far past the rear wheel axle. Think I can cut and lower the front forks about an inch which will take out some of that lower frame rail rise from the back to the front and make it more level to the ground. It doesn't need to be all the way level but that should bring it closer to the way the original is. It'll also move the seat forward, make the engine more plumb and move the fender location closer to the tire. Then the frame will need a little more tweaking  the bend to level off the seat since lowering the front will tilt it forward.

9 hours ago, JUST O&R said:

PS. I don't have brakes

He He He, Steep hill and no net. Catching net that is as you will certainly be "on the NET."

OK, went for the crazy daredevil ride of a lifetime. Check out the risky off roading over the grass! :D

Youtube was a pita so shortened it to copy directly. Hopefully you guys can view the video but let me know if you can't.

Just threw some stuff on it so I could ride it and thought it would be funny. Still have lots to do but doubtful I'll ride it after it's done and painted.

Now it's Terry's turn for that skateboard :yankchain:

Had some traction issue with the friction wheel. I'll figure out how to crank that down so it bites into the tire better. You can see it peeling the tire in the pic with all that black on the frame.

IMG_0658.JPG.07ce8bbd5eaac17c16ddfe87502c2a1f.JPG

Nice! That’s awesome John! Who needs a Harley when you’ve got one of those:smoke:  

Yep, time to see Terry launch himself down the driveway!

By the way, I must have hit rewind 50 times watching that - too funny:lol:

It was hard to stay upright going that slow, hence all the steering back and forth. The wife was laughing when she watched it too but said she would video one so you guys can see the bike better. Maybe I'll try again after getting some better friction but I'm guessing this design isn't for an adult to ride. LoL

The race is on !!!  Half your track half mine . I didn't think you would ride it. that things cool your going to have to make a production line

I would love to have one. you must have time on your hands. I still have my generator on the bench carb still on it.

Just got back from Florida maybe I can get something done . My wife won't be back for a week so I'm still on vacation.

13 minutes ago, JUST O&R said:

that things cool your going to have to make a production line

Easier to just sell the plans and let the other tinkerers have at it but I'll see if I can make a nice pipe bender to more easily reproduce exact copies.

On 6/8/2020 at 12:57 AM, Wallfish said:

Check out the risky off roading over the grass! :D

Same problem with large engine trolleys, the smaller the wheels the harder they are to move over uneven ground, but most people still prefer the small wheels.

David

Couldn't resist the urge to go out and tinker again after seeing Terry @JUST O&R on that skateboard. That was great stuff and glad we finally wore you down to go out and give it a try.

So, Got'er some more friction with a big azz spring and some more tire pressure. It won't carry me up the slight incline that well but gets moving going down.  The biggest thing I noticed was my ever increasing bald spot.

The ball's in someone else's court now!

Just now, JUST O&R said:

I don't the my toby-cart will  never go that fast I think you have the record for now.

Clint may be a little faster we will just have to wait and see.

Impressive, that’s some decent power and speed you’re getting out of that thing.  Love the videos!

I’m in the middle of a couple projects and need to get them done so I can mess with the fan.  I may poke around in the garage and see if I can find something suitable for a backpack harness. The throttle control is built into the fan handle so that’ll take some rigging too.

John you know Clint's been very quiet he's got to be working on something.

If were not careful he will blow are door off. I am going to do a little work on

the toby-cart to get it going. seen how you ran with it to get it going I just put my fat a$$ on it

and it just did not want to go. maybe it need a little help.

Ha, that's funny as I was think'n the same thing! He must be up to something

Yeah, I cheated a little but when the friction wheel wasn't as tight and starting from a dead stop, it chewed a nice deep divot into the tire at that particular spot. It would go better now doing that but it would still be a very slow take off. 

Yep, cooking up a little something - hoping it won’t be too much longer. Made some good progress today...

I’m still impressed that these little engines can move an adult, fun watching you and Terry make tracks!

Pulled the wheels off to do some more work on the little bike. Here's the divot in the tire from the first video when it didn't have enough friction. It doesn't look that deep in the pic but it shaved off a good amount.

Too bad it didn't create any smoke or I would do a video of burning out that whole tire.

IMG_0669.JPG.58dee84baf1367f0cea0f048655fbb29.JPG

It's been a long build but @CNew Clint lit a fire under my butt when he messaged me recently about some foot pegs. They were ordered and once they showed up it gave some incentive to work on the bike. Still have some stuff to do and think it may get another headlight since it does look better with the dual lights. Haven't cut the handle bars to add a spring so they fold. My father has a gas tank which is much closer to original if not the original type so that will go on once I get it.

Finally glad just to be able to post something as it's been a bit slow on the forum.

IMG_0782.JPG.39451ca0a949ed1a216cbf2757598680.JPG

IMG_0783.JPG.66834b01fe67d0853938189410422ff8.JPG

Looks amazing!  Nice to see the progress. That throttle looks good too. Nice touch with the heat screen over the exhaust, that’s a good detail just like the original. I need to get back on my cutoff saw and get in the groove again. 

I had to go back and watch your maiden voyage video as well, too funny!