Chuck

Advanced engine products fan

Thanks Chuck!

The fan arrived so once time allows it will get cleaned up, refreshed and an engine rebuild. The paint is in decent condition except for the handle so it should clean up nicely. The tank is heavily damaged so that will need to be replaced. There's no signs of an old and or missing throttle control like the one Clint has on his.

Well I hope you're happy now I'm glad to hear from you! I got that from A fireman that had a collection of stuff. I thought it was really interesting. I buy and sell antiques so I always like to learn something new. I could see putting it on a bicycle and and let it push you down the road

8 hours ago, Wallfish said:

Thanks Chuck!

The fan arrived so once time allows it will get cleaned up, refreshed and an engine rebuild. The paint is in decent condition except for the handle so it should clean up nicely. The tank is heavily damaged so that will need to be replaced. There's no signs of an old and or missing throttle control like the one Clint has on his.

Any chance of a picture of the AEP decal? I would also be interested in knowing the engine type as well & trying to date it.

4 hours ago, Chuck said:

I could see putting it on a bicycle and and let it push you down the road

There are plenty of O&R/Orline bike kits already out there (known as the Chicken Power) these fans don't turn up as often, so it would be a shame if someone were to remove the engine & dump the rest.

David

4 hours ago, factory said:

There are plenty of O&R/Orline bike kits already out there (known as the Chicken Power) these fans don't turn up as often, so it would be a shame if someone were to remove the engine & dump the rest.

I'm guessing Chuck was making a jest about something like this, but on a bicycle

Air_boat.jpg.195db7f33e235d311a4fb9164c354248.jpg

Air_boat.jpg

On 6/7/2020 at 2:40 AM, Wallfish said:

I'm guessing Chuck was making a jest about something like this, but on a bicycle

Something more like this then, add one of those Turbair bottles & it can do the crop spraying too. :D

1196023809_fanpropelledbike.jpg.680ed42e4f7b5b0811f1eca36348aacb.jpg

David

On 6/6/2020 at 8:48 AM, Wallfish said:

The tank is heavily damaged so that will need to be replaced.

I thought I showed you how to fix those old bent up tanks. You need to pay attention .

You need to save that you can or are you a parts changer :yankchain:

On 6/6/2020 at 5:10 PM, factory said:

Any chance of a picture of the AEP decal? I would also be interested in knowing the engine type as well & trying to date it.

Sorry David, I missed this but here they are.

I don't remember ever seeing this style recoil decal before. Nothing seems any different to make it an "Industrial" engine but it hasn't been disassembled either. And not sure I'm even going to since it has great compression now, the flywheel and all the grooves in the plate are clean. It has definitely been run before but with no build up of debris on the flywheel from sucking in air, it indicates a low hour run time. Think it just needs some overall cleaning and the carb done. The plan is to just clean it up a bit and let it fly it's character as it was used by the LAFD. I was going to paint the grills as the chrome on them isn't the best but leaving it in it's working clothes is the best option for this one IMO.

IMG_0661.JPG.c6316027c86b6eb9a40436166a5e1ec4.JPG

IMG_0660.JPG.b4f641e4a79e80624a5de89d0a688b4f.JPG

That is really odd, I had been using (loosely) the parts list for the type 13B-424 for my string trimmer/weed-wacker engine build, I wonder if it got used as a replacement engine for your fan. :scratchhead:

487887038_AdvancedEngineProductsIncorporatedPowerWhipPartsListPage1a.jpg.1516be429b9710305860be6db29e7870.jpg 1521354938_AdvancedEngineProductsIncorporatedType42413B-424EngineDiagramPartsListPage1a.jpg.8db55c1f6ae162d0cd017e76d6b5682b.jpg

The engine at dates from June 1976 (sn 606xxxx).

David

It looks like this engine model is CCW, that’s different from the average O&R isn’t it?

On 6/16/2020 at 6:12 PM, Wallfish said:

I was going to paint the grills as the chrome on them isn't the best but leaving it in it's working clothes is the best option for this one IMO.

I had thought about that too when I was going through mine but then decided to leave the grills alone. I think in this case leaving in all the character looks great.

On 6/17/2020 at 4:07 PM, factory said:

I wonder if it got used as a replacement engine for your fan

Curious why you think it may be a replacement engine vs original to the fan? The Industrial decal?

I don't have many or know much about the newer 13B engines as I prefer the older engines

On 6/18/2020 at 1:48 PM, CNew said:

It looks like this engine model is CCW, that’s different from the average O&R isn’t it?

All the direct drive engines (3/4HP to 1HP) are CCW rotation, to change to CW rotation would require a different crankshaft (for timing), flywheel with dogs reversed and the starter rope & spring reversed (possible with 13B starter), apart from the starter these parts were never made. The larger Series 20A engine was available in both rotations.

David

23 hours ago, Wallfish said:
On 6/17/2020 at 9:07 PM, factory said:

I wonder if it got used as a replacement engine for your fan

Curious why you think it may be a replacement engine vs original to the fan? The Industrial decal?

I don't have many or know much about the newer 13B engines as I prefer the older engines

The parts list for the 13B-424 engine (that is stamped into the plate) gives parts that are not fitted to your fan i.e; the mounting plate, the remote air cleaner. The AEP decal does look correct for the date stamped into the cylinder plate.

It could be possible that the only the starter & cylinder plates are replacements, but the rest of the engine would probably show more signs of use if these had got damaged/lost & replaced.

You may notice the cylinder uses one thick spacer instead of the five pieces used on most engines, the induction assembly should also use the O ring instead of the two gaskets.

David

4 minutes ago, JUST O&R said:

Are you going to strap that to your back  and go for it.:D

Believe it or not, that's part of the reason I wanted to run it.:D Doing strange stuff is part of the fun. The neighbors already think I'm nuts so going down the street with a fan and a bicycle would just be par for the coarse around here. It doesn't really blow with the force I expected but definitely moves a good volume of air.