Rayp

Hayter 21/Osprey Clutch Lever

Does anyone have a clutch lever in good condition?  I have two, one with the locking lever missing and the other with the locking 'insert' degraded and both with little remaining chrome.

If you have no luck Ray, and your examples are not able to bve refurbished (mechanically), then a new replacement is available if you're desperate, but looking at about £30 delivered !.

Regards

Richard  

Thanks Richard,

If I have no luck, I will come back to you to source a replacement. it might be possible to mechanically repair one from my two, but even after rust treatment it would need re-chroming and that might be a good part of the replacement price.  The 'cam' which locks the locking lever appears to be made from some soft zinc material and appears flaky so this would also need to be replaced.  I have stripped the front wheels, derusted them and repainted them.  One cup was missing and all the cage races were shot, but I managed to get hold of some replacements.  I had thought of putting new steel wheels on the front, but assumed these would have 'plastic tyres rather than the existing rubber ones which are still good.

Regards

Ray

Re chroming aside I often used to compensate for the wear in  the Hayter lever and the similar one on the old belt driven Webb 24” machine.

It’s usually the ” anvil “ in the lever body that wears so file it square to make a little flat platform . Then drill the platform to accept a tiny BA  screw. Reassemble the lever drilling or reaming out the pivot bolt hole to take a slightly larger pivot bolt and test the locking. Usually it won’t lock because the BD screw head is a bit too large. Carefully file a bit off and try again  - until it locks .

Back in the day I had a supply of the little drive rivets that Hayter used for securing the serial number plates on various machines but they are no longer available , so a tiny BA screw has to do.

No problem, If one of the old ones are repairable, PM me a photo of it's condition. If it's possible to fix,  you're able to send it to me and cover the postage, I'll see what I can do.  

...............bit slow.... Wristpin beat me to it.

Thank you Wristpin for your expert information and Richard for your kind offer of help.  I will send photo Tomorrow for you to consider.