CNew

Ohlsson & Rice: The Groomer Landscaper 600

Thanks David!  I’ve actually been looking to get a couple glass syringes, great use for them. I’ll go that route this time to try to clean the gas tank.

13 hours ago, factory said:

SAM_5029a.jpg.97a952185c51a8cabd1d0a9ea508aafd.jpg

Did you find out why the PTO seemed wobbly/loose?

The one I have is like this, I had never come across this style bearing before.  Not sure yet why everything was so loose. I’ll have a better look as I start to put it back together.

E260EEB0-8CC2-412E-9E55-769E5128113B.jpeg

Just to be really helpful (not) the parts lists describe that as a "crankcase assy. (includes bearing & thrust washer)" with no part numbers for the rollers or thrust washer, some parts lists from 1970 mention this type of bearing arrangement, I guess they could turn up randomly in other engines.

My picture was from a 13B-252 engine dating from 1973, here is the before picture, the bearing appears to be made by Torrington, I seem to remember something like a disintegrated seal behind it, also there is another parts crankcase I saw a few weeks ago with this bearing.

SAM_4959a.jpg.4544ab356cb9177fe500c52c404b5a40.jpg

David

Interesting, I didn’t see any sort of seal associated with this bearing but I’ll check again. I’m hoping whoever was in this engine last didn’t forget some parts or lose some of the roller bearings.  I need to count the ones in your photo and compare.

There are 18 rollers in both pictures I took, you have to fit them in the crankcase on this type before inserting the crankshaft. Can't see anything that looks like a thrust washer though.

SAM_4958a.jpg.ddbd4af92fef1c38334b27e2a60a1fb4.jpg

David

9 hours ago, CNew said:

I didn’t see any sort of seal associated with this bearing but I’ll check again.

There isn't one, it was on something much older and looks more like a gasket to fill space behind the bearing.

David

Took apart more of the induction unit and there was an odd, really thin spacer in the bearing stack. Doesn’t look like it would have been original to the engine.

342679F5-7AB7-4AA1-872A-879172796B19.jpeg

Unfortunately I can't tell you if it's original or not, my manual was missing the relevant pages (engines type 13B426 & 13B427), did the engine look to have been apart before (it would have been noticeable with it being painted all over)?

Will have a look to see if I have any other later engine diagrams that may show it.

David

Got the engine completely cleaned and rebuilt. Unfortunately I didn’t have new induction case seals for this particular model. The seals weren’t in terrible condition but would have been better to swap them out. I did have a new exhaust gasket kit which it definitely needed.  I primed the carb a few minutes ago and it fired right up on the second or third pull. Sounded strong even though the seals weren’t the best. Hopefully I can get one more similar short run out of it when the trimmer is all back together. I need to try to get a video of it running to send to the guy I bought it from.

6F35A28F-31F2-438D-BB32-F6B2B8DED747.jpeg

101B71C8-776F-4454-9B9F-F248AF9FBA4D.jpeg

8DA95968-573D-4A4A-822E-B8D8F44D479E.jpeg

Look great nice job. maybe I will send you a few of my projects that I don't seem to have time to get done.

your making short work of your projects. I still have one all over the bench.

I was actually able to spend the better part of yesterday just working on this- it’s rare for me to be able to spend that much of a Saturday on something fun.

Which project ya got all over the bench?

10 hours ago, JUST O&R said:

I still have one all over the bench.

Same here, mostly back together but I haven't got round to adding the progress to the thread. Rain has stopped me cleaning some parts outside so I've been working on vintage HP counter that's also been in bits for too long.

I forgot to ask before, but what are the approx dimensions of the two trimmer guards? and are there any markings on the trimmer head to indicate if it was either made by AEP* or bought in? Some pictures of the trimmer head may also help @Brian Lynch with locating the lost parts for his Groomer trimmer.

David

The title of both threads should really have AEP in it.

I didn’t see any indications anywhere on the unit for AEP. Dimensions of the gray line spool is 5” diameter. The black spool shroud is approximately 6 1/4” diameter. The yellow guard is about 13 3/8” corner to corner and about 7 1/8” from the center to the edge.

ACB44222-C6A5-4793-8B3F-C373D8CEF0BD.jpeg

ED431F9D-1F19-494C-B4F5-8A1026685AC5.jpeg

Very strange that they didn't put AEP on it anywhere, it should date to somewhere around 1977/78 from the original advertising.

Thanks for measuring those parts.

David

Balance is actually not too bad considering the fairly odd design. Compared to trimmers today, this would be quite clumsy, especially for extended periods of time. Having the engine and therefore all the weight down at the head does make it feel like it could get unwieldy.  It’s cool having one handle be the gas tank and the other handle the air cleaner. Someone was definitely thinking outside the box...