CNew

Ohlsson & Rice: Life-Savr Generator

Landed an O&R Life-Savr Generator that looks to be in pretty good shape. Has all the original paperwork. The original box is super fragile and pretty beat up but it still has the label for where it was sold.

85DDEE46-F14E-43C2-BE53-E68F00474C81.jpeg

C1DDD4B5-6722-41EF-9083-4BCC8E6209D8.jpeg

710D31DA-5AB4-4D05-9C51-DB2BCF597614.jpeg

DFBDB0CD-12A6-4306-9625-14BECE7CC909.jpeg

25CE07DE-CD19-47BB-8CCD-34A93715CBC3.jpeg

111017E4-27F5-4600-BD3E-9BC5896849CF.jpeg

You did well to get that for the price, the seller could easily have got more if they had let the auction run.

Do the instructions mention anything about the make/type of pump that fits on the back of the generator?

David

Unfortunately the old gas wasn’t drained so the tank is completely nasty with thick varnish and oil gunk.

I'm surprised it's the tank is like that, it almost looks unused, I guess it got used once, they left the gas in & it never started again and then got abandoned in it's box.

The 410 in the model number seems familiar, I'm sure @pmackellow's Dyna-mite version is also a model 410, but mine is a model 300 (only difference seems to be an extended tank filler).

David

Yeah, I don’t think it’s had a great deal of run time but I need to look inside the cylinder to really tell. Definitely too bad about the tank, these are the hardest type to clean very well and there’s no accessing the fuel pickup so if the line or filter are clogged or rotten then it usually doesn’t go well. I may go through this as the next project; I haven’t decided yet. 

I cleaned my tank by heating it op on the stove and pressed the bottom plate out, when the (epoxy?) glue got soft from the heat. Easy actually.

After cleaning I glued the plate back in using epoxy-based tank liner. I didn't line the tank - just used the liner as glue.

/Steen

Thanks Twinsport.  I’ve tried that method on a couple of these tanks and never could get the bottom to release. I might not have gotten it hot enough.  What do you find works well for heating?

I have used either the kitchen stove or a hot-air gun. Mostly depending on for how long the missus leave the house ;-) .

From experience I can tell though that if you forget it on the stove, it can be kind of hard getting the smell out of the house before she returns...

/Steen

Clint you must have a very good collection now, has your wife told you to go stay in the garage yet. my wife asks me every time I'm on

the computer if I'm looking at toys. That one look like a simple clean up.

I usually try cleaning the tank filter using the largest sized glass syringe I have, after first trying the other methods of cleaning, i.e. your cleaner of choice & using nuts etc. to loosen the crud. I'm guessing they don't have "stoves" in Arizona.

David

9 hours ago, JUST O&R said:

Clint you must have a very good collection now, has your wife told you to go stay in the garage yet. my wife asks me every time I'm on

the computer if I'm looking at toys. That one look like a simple clean up.

Yep, it’s coming along nicely. The garage is probably 120 degrees right now so hopefully the wife doesn’t ask me to stay there... I’m in a similar boat, she knows when I’m on the computer I’m hunting for more O&Rs.

On 6/29/2020 at 3:20 PM, Wallfish said:

A blow torch

Got the ol’ blow torch out today and gave it a go on an old tank I had. That did the trick!  It was super corroded and nasty inside this tank.  Now I can get it all cleaned up and use it again.

Will a gas tank sealer like POR15 work or does it need to be glued with an gas resistant epoxy?

Making some good progress on rebuilding a Life-Savr. The paint on the recoil spring cover is in really poor condition and flakes off in chunks when you touch it so I’m repainting that piece. It was so saturated in oil and grease that the paint failed. I think the rest of the paint on the recoil cover will hold up a little longer and I want to keep it as original as possible. I’ll be putting on a new decal since the one on their basically chipped off and was pretty faded. 
Thanks to JustO&R I was able to buy a new front shaft seal (Timken/Nationals 342805), looks to be a perfect fit.  Fortunately I had a couple NOS induction case gaskets, the ones that are slightly thicker material - kind of like the cylinder head exhaust collector gaskets.

The recoil rope reel was also damaged but I was able to find a used spare one in my parts stash.  Should be able to start reassembly and finish the painting today.

31E44542-996E-409E-BE48-725A5306E1F3.jpeg

90A43CCD-204A-407B-8C05-4BE073BFB17B.jpeg

C85867E0-BC38-402F-AF84-20974938C9AC.jpeg

6CA8BC41-F970-498B-8436-8119AD5FCF09.jpeg

8FF9A588-5290-4A3D-9175-0E0BC7FB6E0A.jpeg

7A7F8E02-DA57-46E0-9132-33F0BF8D0B36.jpeg

3CFB892E-6422-480C-AC80-426F1E1ECD3D.jpeg

FBD9C456-C193-46A3-A5BC-59A65DE42DC3.jpeg

A04BEEEE-DB5E-40E5-9F4D-D779B8AD6AC5.jpeg

F5C3035E-FB92-432F-A5F8-8833A75CE191.jpeg

C08DE853-E890-4E2B-994A-4C4DAFCCC199.jpeg

D37760FB-E358-4016-A68F-C662EE6AD447.jpeg

Ha, tell me about it... This was a busy week with work and kids getting back to school- not much time for O&Rs.  Are you seeing any daylight yet on your end to get back to some O&R projects?

No not much time maybe be November just seem to busy this time of year. ( maybe when I retire ) I get home just

want to relax and unwind.

Bad news, while trying to get everything lined up to put the generator parts back together the little brush bot pinched and snapped:banghead: Hopefully I can find a suitable replacement.

CD9CD5B8-6048-42A9-B828-CA51FAAEC2FB.jpeg

Indeed, you need another four hands for this operation. It takes two hands just to align the windings with the bearing while fishing the wire through and everything As it all slides together. Then, just as it engages the bearing you’re suppose to somehow use a dental pick through the front of the bearing hole, while also holding a flashlight, to push down the brush and slide it all together. One little slip and snap... just like what happened to me!

That looks like slots on either side. Maybe use a piece of string or something to hold the brush down.

Search for some brushes and try to find something close. They're not that expensive. The graphite can be shaped to match your generator. :dunno: