RakeyB62

Lawnflite 503 cutting out problems.

Good afternoon all. I wonder if anyone out there can help? I have an old lawnflite 503 sit on mower. The engine has started to cut out as though it has run out of fuel (plenty in the tank. When I look at the fuel filter it is empty. If I lift the tank, fuel will flow into the filter again and, when tried, the engine will re start but after a few minutes running, the same will happen again.

Sounds as if you may have a blockage at the fuel tank outlet, sometimes there is a fine gauze mesh filter which gets blocked. Unscrew the fuel tap from the tank and you should see it, if not try blowing low pressure air from a foot pump up the fuel line back in to the tank.

Sometimes, the fuel filters do appear to be empty but fuel is actually flowing through them. Pull the pipe off the carburettor inlet and hold it over a suitable receptacle and with the tap (if fitted) turned on, and the tank cap in place watch the flow for at least half a minute . If the flow slows or stops repeat with the tank cap loosened or removed. If that improves things, check the breather hole in the cap.  Blowing back into the tank outlet may improve things but the crud is still in there waiting to do it again. If that's the cause  take the tank off and flush it properly. 

Thanks for your advice. I will check all of these items at the weekend. The mower is old and i have no history of it (recently obtained for a good price :-)) I think I will take off the complete system from the carb connection all the way back to the tank to make sure it is all clear. While doing so I'll throw on a new filter too as I have no idea if/when it was last changed.