CNew

Ohlsson & Rice: Type 110 Engine

That’s what I thought too, looks like the ones for the Comet tools. I didn’t get this one off ePay...

It also has the two notches cut into the mounting holes like on the circular saw. The carb also doesn’t have a hole for the hook screw for an air filter so that also seems like a circular saw set up.

The grainy low resolution picture from a manual I have (not mine) gives; Type 96 for the circular saw, Type 113 for the chainsaw, Type 100 for the drill and Type 109 for the pump. Earlier ones may use a letter type instead (my pump uses a Model B for example).

It probably is from a the circular saw, a later one without the extra long tube for the muffler and the added switch to compensate for the not having the remote handle mounted one. I just don't have any pictures showing the Type as it's usually inaccessible to take a picture.

David

You've just rebuilt a later Comet C/Saw, did you not note the engine Type (I can't see it clearly in any of your pictures)?

I found this engine in my archived Comet pictures; with the correct stop switch, notches in the mounting flanges & no hole in the carb for the air cleaner screw, it's also a Type 110.

g4.jpg.4d841c30a168989177baefe4a1dd3e92.jpgg7.jpg.96a00ce7e6b07ffe4ea0c104b213a514.jpg

g1a.jpg.382babf313ed6c1d13c6ba9c3a149d91.jpg

David

Well, that’s always frustrating. Got this engine completely rebuilt and put back together only to have zero spark.  I tried another condenser for giggles and that didn’t help. Tried a new spark plug and that didn’t work. It must be either the coil or the points. I got the points all cleaned up nice and set properly. The coil didn’t look in bad shape from the outside.  Any ideas? If I use a volt meter on the coil can I pinpoint something from there?

Electrical isn’t my strong suit but I put my meter on it and here are some of the numbers:

2.67 k Ohms

0.07 Ohm

BD52A284-789F-4937-862C-660447F1ABA9.jpeg

5A4EDC7D-5CE9-44B4-BA87-263B0AF4615D.jpeg

I just finished swapping out the points. That seemed to do the trick. I think the points that were in there weren’t really making a connection, they seemed to be worn at odd angles or someone sanded them poorly. Just ran a carb worth of gas, sounded great. I may rig up a small tank tomorrow so I can try to run it a little longer.

876E4546-C50E-41D5-8415-869397523E79.jpeg

On 7/24/2020 at 10:21 PM, CNew said:

Electrical isn’t my strong suit but I put my meter on it and here are some of the numbers:

2.67 k Ohms

0.07 Ohm

Those readings are fine for an earlier style coil, somewhere between 2kΩ to 3kΩ for the secondary (HT) coil winding is what I would expect (or 6kΩ to 7kΩ for the later coils).

David