Mike in NC

My Wife's O&R Collection

Here is a link to my wife's O&R collection. She also has a Tiny Tiger (not pictured) that is partly disassembled. It all started with the yellow pump (Type 217) that a friend of her grandfather gave me.

Jen's O&R Collection

Edited by Mike in NC

Nice collection, the Derby Tiller was also made by Little Wonder (same as the hedge cutter next to it) I scanned the manuals a few years ago as Little Wonder didn't have them on their website. The NOS water pump looks to be a Kenco and the yellow engine with gearbox looks to be from a chainsaw with that style of muffler.

David

Factory, you are correct about the pump. It is a Kenco Model 61. The yellow engine with the gear box is NOS and it does not have mounting tabs on the base, they seem to have been milled off, and the output shaft is cut off with a plug closing off the hole. Our friend that we got it from said that it was a display unit for salesman to show off. Here is a picture of the output side.

DSC_3978.JPG

It's certainly an interesting display engine.

s2a.jpg.9ea64c3044fc0959e713ad3a53f6bd7b.jpg

The base tank (part no #A-32-26) with no mounting tabs was made for at least one tool, the Orline Yard-Arm, but that doesn't use a gearbox as it's direct drive, is it possible it's been added to display the engine?

153090518_OhlssonRiceYardArmPartsListMar69Page1a.jpg.e9501b84143f8d4ea73af7273e196fd4.jpg

The blanked off PTO shaft is used when the shaft is fitted to the other side of the gearbox, i.e. towards the engine, the chainsaws & bicycle engine kits are set up like this.

That style of muffler/exhaust is used on some of the chainsaws, such as the Model 13 Mustang.

1632679314_OhlssonRiceMustangChainSawModel13PartsListOct70Page1a.jpg.cca45476bfe3f9bee5f912d988225623.jpg

Has it got a engine model/type stamped into the cylinder baffle plate or on the end of the crankcase mounting flange (exhaust side)?

DSC_3978.JPG.5fbd651d56de7e59de2b6410f51cb0cca.jpg.47bc4f1e69fec28ebf53352017e67cd4.jpg

David

Stamped on the cylinder baffle plate is "13B   329"  I looked behind the gear box and there is no shaft on that side either and there is no clearance for a shaft or something to attach to the gearbox with that gas tank on it. Our friend that we got it from said he was told that it was a store display unit. The gas tank has no signs of gas ever being in it. I will try to get some other pictures of it maybe tomorrow, to show no shaft and no clearance.

Edited by Mike in NC

That’s interesting. It has a 13B exhaust collector and muffler like some of the Orline chainsaws but looks to have a 13A recoil cover. Neat piece to have in your collection.

Hmm, just a guess but it probably is a chainsaw engine and put together for a display engine.

The missing screws for the gearbox is most likely because the chainsaw cover screws that went there would have been too long and hit the tank without the spacing of that cover.

And guessing the shaft was cut off for the engine to sit on that particular type of tank.

All just $0.02

Unfortunately my information is missing engine Type 329 but the short-block replacement list does include it (doesn't give use).

I think it was a chainsaw engine, I can see some of the starter housing screws have nuts on the back, this is because most of the screws would have gone through the back-plate and straight into the chainsaw tank.

The starter is the wrong type for a 13B, but fitting the 13A or Compact I, II or III type would also require a change of flywheel as the starter dogs are different.

It's strange that it uses a very late coil, but the air filter is only a single stage type, possibly been added as some chainsaws use a completely different type.

Of course none of this really matters if it was a new spare chainsaw engine that was setup for a shop display.

For comparison this is an engine that was on a Mustang Model 13 chainsaw.

p5a.jpg.5739c7622738398d02b9ac0be12579b3.jpg p3a.jpg.be38f2cf4821026822c2aa712c63a2bd.jpg

p2a.jpg.f8b305e3f0a8ead712915e0b47949346.jpg

And here is the same engine on this chainsaw.

o3a.jpg.488cc4aec43f5f632c86e934733950c1.jpg

David

On 7/29/2020 at 3:03 AM, Mike in NC said:

Stamped on the cylinder baffle plate is "13B   329"  I looked behind the gear box and there is no shaft on that side either and there is no clearance for a shaft or something to attach to the gearbox with that gas tank on it. Our friend that we got it from said he was told that it was a store display unit. The gas tank has no signs of gas ever being in it. I will try to get some other pictures of it maybe tomorrow, to show no shaft and no clearance.

I've now got more information, engine type 13B329 in for an Orline chainsaw, release date was 7-18-73 according to the list.

David

I will be getting these out and ready for an upcoming show. I will try to get some more pictures and also have a new addition to her collection to take pictures of and add to the web page.  Thank you for your help!!