CNew

Ohlsson & Rice: Paramount Hedge Trimmer

Rennie’s trimmer project inspired me to work on my Paramount trimmer. It’s a bit of a Frankenstein but nice to finally have it complete. The piston was frozen and had a broken connecting rod. I was able to salvage a piston and rod from a parts engine. I found a reasonably good cylinder head from another parts engine along with cooling baffles. I was able to fix up a recoil cover from misc other bits. Got the gas tank repaired and cleaned up inside. The only thing left to do now is wire up the stop switch (I’m waiting for some wire I ordered to arrive) that goes on the handle. Then I’ll have to give it a test run. It’s got really strong compression now so hopefully all the salvaged parts work together correctly:o.

6A78CBB3-F838-4007-B74B-0D80298E3A7D.jpeg

5A0908F9-61D1-4B7F-8277-E178DEA6CB6E.jpeg

9AF81E5B-E380-418F-8638-4EE1B38CFBB7.jpeg

064F62FD-718B-4477-A613-07416C086AF6.jpeg

2EA5F91D-C568-4049-90FE-9F3A16C7BC2D.jpeg

E9423167-6015-442B-9F80-6761DA3A1648.jpeg

00D6956F-64AE-46A7-B80B-91C4A7FDD922.jpeg

3D2B33D4-E5DD-4DC2-94AF-8F904B3C5E83.jpeg

A1CAE378-0ACC-4CDD-AC44-66C2C296E3F1.jpeg

034B207D-8BE3-421C-800A-6693CAB989E6.jpeg

30E39A15-921D-4838-9918-EA2D897F7496.jpeg

He's definitely on a roll. My guess is about 35 ( looks great) My generator is still on the bench. Maybe this fall I will find some time.

keep up the good work.

Clint I think your blades are in backwards?

IMG_3901[1].JPG

IMG_3902[1].JPG

3 hours ago, Wallfish said:ow many tools are you up to now?

Good question, I’ll have to do a count.

2 hours ago, JUST O&R said:

Clint I think your blades are in backwards?

IMG_3902[1].JPG

It’s funny you mention that. I was wondering about that when I was reassembling it. Do you think the blades will still work ok flipped around or will it get jammed up somehow?

JustO&R,

That’s a nice looking Orline trimmer. I like that it has the throttle on the handle. That one should clean up real nice!

I certainly can but then I’d have to open it all back up again and I’m feeling lazy on this one at this point;)

8 hours ago, JUST O&R said:

He's definitely on a roll. My guess is about 35

JustO&R,

Great guess- I counted 34 tools:D

Ha- make that 36. I forgot about the 20A chainsaw and 20A Clinton K-150 outboard...

12 minutes ago, CNew said:

I certainly can but then I’d have to open it all back up again and I’m feeling lazy on this one at this point

But your on a roll can't stop now It would only take you about 10 to 15 minutes at best with your speed:D

Good call, it was the right thing to do - thanks for the extra nudge to get it done...

Working on a Life-Savr now. Just got a TAS J-12 running too.

Got the stop switch wired up and got it running. It sounds good and I didn’t lose a finger- thanks JustO&R!

7C6E765C-7E67-4BBD-9A38-B7BF0D44BAE9.jpeg

Looks very nice, does it have Paramount cast into the eccentric cover like the other two I've seen?

On 8/8/2020 at 5:39 PM, CNew said:

Ha- make that 36. I forgot about the 20A chainsaw and 20A Clinton K-150 outboard...

Is it getting any harder to find tools you haven't got yet?

David

That is quite a little hedge trimmer. I wonder if someone hit a chain link fence or something hard and steel with the trimmer head, in turn breaking the connecting rod. It looks like the damage occured while it was running, and not just a sawing operation to separate the parts. Very cool project. I have been trying to find a Little Wonder with an O&R for the longest time.

Chris

The broken con-rod has a twist to it, this happens when someone finds a stuck engine (usually from long term storage or running without oil) and unscrews the cylinder without first attempting to free up the stuck piston, guaranteeing a snapped con-rod. :banghead:

I've only had one engine so far with a snapped con-rod, it was in an almost unused looking Champ generator which I suspect the original owner didn't bother to add any oil to the fuel, I did manage to remove the stuck piston but never could get the rings off it.

As it used the later 14mm cylinder & oiling had failed to move it, the piston got pressed out (do-not try this with older 10mm cylinders).

I've also had another stuck engine with a holey piston, that too came out without any more damage (left oil in cylinder over a few days/week).

David

guys, newbie alert here, please don't get mad
I hope it's appropriate to ask about trimmers here. So I have a situation: I've been using an old trimmer (like the OP) just to cut bushes and stuff and I knew it's not gonna last long but it eventually broke down this September. I don't remember what was the brand, so I started asking around my friends if someone can recommend a trimmer. Unfortunately, they dont trim themselves, they call a pro (lucky bastards). So then I started searching the web... And here is the point where everything became complicated. As long as I read, people recommend Echo. I found this trimmer comparison, but it leaves me with more questions than answers. I'd be glad if you help me out here, thanks

:WMOM:

Sorry I can't help with recommending a new trimmer (it might be worth asking the same question in the "hand tools" or another more relevant section or we could move the above post there), but if have any queries about the O&R engine you mentioned in your introduction post we can help.

David