CNew

Ohlsson & Rice: Soup Can Gas Tank

Decided to experiment with finishing out a crude soup can gas tank.  I bought something a long time ago and it came with a soup can that was mid way through being made into a gas tank by the previous owner.  I have the bug to start learning how to solder so I thought I would give it a go and try to finish it up. With a bit more practice I may try to make one entirely from scratch using a can that is a better copy of the O&R tanks.  This one is literally a soup can. The can had a hole punched near the filler hole so I just soldered the intake tube there rather than making another hole in the bottom.  Since the hole was too large for the 1/8” brass tube I ended up using a piece of 5/32” for the main pickup and added a small section of the 1/8” for the connection to the 3/32” fuel line.

I’ll probably just use this tank on one of the engine test stands.

3FC6C96B-4F92-4552-B3A8-F1D4577827B7.jpeg

0113DD40-D37F-4374-A539-FE0D4276DB34.jpeg

Looks good to me, the originals probably weren't anything special, I've seen very old beer cans etc. made in a similar way to the O&R tanks, trouble is people collect them too. I've been saving the steel cans that coffee comes in these days, they don't have the corrugated look of a soup/bean can.

David

Found this cool shaped 8 oz can. It’s a good size and might make a neat tank for a test stand or maybe even with an O&R engine. Got it all sanded. soldered in the fuel fitting And drilled a small vent hole in the cap. Next up is to paint it O&R red.

8356E1B9-351E-45A1-A136-23F44CBEB24C.jpeg

16380AF2-1907-4348-BF88-A2DBFF817F56.jpeg

EB1F869C-7AA7-420C-802F-1264FAAE8C44.jpeg