Rayp

Hayter 21

I decided to tidy-up my Hayter 21 and am attaching a few photos of the exercise. I decided to use the Handle from an Osprey as I had this to hand and it appears more robust than the 21 handle.

P1010199.JPG

P1010521.JPG

P1010526.JPG

thumbnail_privatevarmobileContainersSharedAppGroupE1FB16D4-9A23-4AB9-A35E-8F88FCE9EB18LibraryCachesAttachment-UploadsImage.jpg

P1010567.JPG

P1010569.JPG

P1010568.JPG

P1010570.JPG

P1010571.JPG

P1010572.JPG

P1010573.JPG

P1010574.JPG

Its really up to you.  I have a friend who is an expert mechanic and, if the machine is working, he favours only an oily rag. I do not like to see rusty or oily elements so decide to remove/treat the rust etc. and paint them. However once I remove certain parts I find others that would benefit from the same treatment and invariably end up totally dismantling the machine and repainting it. I find that if I only repaint the 'tinwork' the remainder looks even worse and gives the overall impression of being half a job. I am not endeavouring to reach 'show standard' but just to ensure that I remove or stabilise any corrosion and paint so that I should not have to revisit it.

Hi Richard,

I hope you are keeping well.

I've not had much luck with the 21.  Whilst mowing, it suddenly lost compression and now I have dismantled it I can see that the 'big end has shattered.  Meanwhile, I have reconditioned an Osprey engine which I intended to replace the broken engine, but when I went to fit it I realised the anchor holes in the Deck were in different positions and although I have an Osprey deck, I made no further progress during the Pandemic.  I have turned over the Osprey occasionally with no problem, but when I tried again last week it had seized so another thing to sort out!. I also have an engine from a Mountfield rough cut mower, almost identical to the 21 engine, which I am currently 'servicing' with some parts from the broken engine, the only problem being the end of the Crankshaft is longer, a greater diameter and would need to have a thread cut for the Pulley to be fitted. Luckily I haven't needed the 21 so it is basically on the back-burner until I decide whether I wish to proceed with it.